No actionNo action
511 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
511 of 511  Wed 26th May 2021 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3411

Helen, I was hardly going to be drinking at the age of around ten. Before the war when I was hardly a teenager, there were no sign of the mosaic in those days, so it could have been as you say buried even then. In 1945 the White Lion was covered feet deep all around and inside with its own rubble, the back of the pub less, so they opened the back door to start business, leaving the front door etc to be moved as they built the Precinct. It is hard to see how they avoided the mosaic, when digging out the foundations of the pub and when it closed again around mid-fifties. The facade etc had been lowered down in front of the front door, the morning after the raid, for it was dangerous, and a wire fence surrounded the pub, I believe during the rest of war - it is a bit of Coventry history. The story I posted earlier, of a lad my age who lost both his young parents in the early fifties from the results of the raid, and to me who was suicidal, was because we met in the White Lion, and I had met his father a week before he died. A tragic story, one phone call, I immediately took him to the south of France, away from the bombed buildings and reminders, sat him on the beach and let him sob his heart out without embarrassment. We went many times after that, but the White Lion did give me a lot of pleasure, and led to a lot of friendships.
Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 511 to 511 of 511 posts

Page 35 of 35

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 31 32 33 34 35
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Famous Coventry Visitors
|

Next (newer) topic

Freeth Street