No actionNo action
145 posts:
Order:    

murrjam
Coventry
All posts by this member
136 of 145  Tue 30th Mar 2021 6:50pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2021  Total posts:6

On 20th Jul 2011 6:46pm, Tricia said: I worked in the Correspondence Office from 1966 to 1974. During this time the department moved to Lutterworth and then to Edgwick (Cross Road). Thumbs up
Hi Tricia, Think you worked there at same time as me, Lutterworth also. Have found an old picture of some of guys from Electrical Recon Dept where I was an apprentice at time (circa 1967). Unfortunately my pic is missing as an old girlfriend had it to put in a locket? Hoping someone on here may have original with me in it. Few of the names come to mind at moment, All from electrical Reconditioning Dept, Red Lane. Jock Stein (scotty) Bob Payne (union leader) Sid Hindmarsh Harry Gee Des Ward Colin Webster Peter Stokes Peter Parker, I think Dave Morgan Harry Chandley Elect Recon Chargehand Other names I remember from Red Lane, Plastics Dept (C Shop) as follows: Peter Fife (Manager) Derek Jull (Plastics Demonstrator) Alan Parkes (Plastics Demonstrator) Howard Robinson (Robbo) (Plastics Service Engineer) Ted Owen (Plastics Service Engineer) Mick McDowell (Macca) (Plastics Service Engineer) Wilf Norman (Plastics Director) Denis Griffiths (Plastics Sales) Other people at Red Lane: Stan Warbank Chargehand Ron Fenton Manager Ray Wilkes Draughtsman Archie Ross Elect Design Dave Stevens? Elect Recon Tony Murray Elect Recon (my brother) Bernard Shaw Manager Brain seized up now. Regards, Jim
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
137 of 145  Wed 31st Mar 2021 3:25pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2803

Murrjam, Bernard Shaw (Red Lane) was a very nice man to work for, he used to leave me Fox's Glacier Mints in between the correspondence I had to deal with. I had no idea he was made Manager as I left in 61. Both the Norman brothers were there then (directors). I believe Miss Pearsall married one of them.
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Gazolba
Phoenix, AZ, USA
All posts by this member
138 of 145  Fri 2nd Apr 2021 9:46am  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:8

Have not read all the previous posts but I did work at Alfred Herberts, Edgwick in the late 60's/early 70's. Can't remember the exact dates without referring to my diaries, which aren't accessible at the moment. I joined them as a trainee computer programmer. The interview process was an aptitude test which took place in a large hall. About 50 or more candidates took part. Somehow I came in the top few and they hired four of us. We all went on a 2-week training course at UNIVAC in Acton, London. Then we were unleashed to write COBOL programs, all on punched cards in those days. After about 18 months, when they started layoffs, I left as I saw no future there. I got a programmer job at Dunlop in Erdington, Birmingham. I think Herberts closed not too long afterwards Edited by member, 2nd Apr 2021 9:51 am
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Kimbo
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
139 of 145  Sat 3rd Apr 2021 2:53pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:86

Did you do any tape programming for the Marwin Max-e-Mill? I was on that machine for a few years from about '72.
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
140 of 145  Sat 3rd Apr 2021 3:59pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:466

Hi murrjam, I recognised a few names from the list; but one name in particular brought a smile to my face and that was Dennis Griffiths the Plastics Rep. He had a really good singing voice and liked to serenade us girls in Corres. Lol
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
141 of 145  Sat 3rd Apr 2021 4:39pm  

Tricia, who was it that was always whistling in the Small Tools Dept?
Alfred Herbert Ltd
murrjam
Coventry
All posts by this member
142 of 145  Mon 5th Apr 2021 12:45am  
Member: Joined Feb 2021  Total posts:6

On 3rd Apr 2021 3:59pm, Tricia said: I recognised a few names from the list; but one name in particular brought a smile to my face and that was Dennis Griffiths the Plastics Rep. He had a really good singing voice and liked to serenade us girls in Corres. Lol
He was a really nice man, a good friend of mine at that time. A real Welsh charmer with the women, ideal for sales with his charm.
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
143 of 145  Wed 7th Apr 2021 9:13pm  

On 3rd Apr 2021 4:39pm, Dreamtime said: Tricia, who was it that was always whistling in the Small Tools Dept?
Sorry Dreamtime I can't remember him. Big grin
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
144 of 145  Thu 8th Apr 2021 3:21am  

That's ok Tricia, I can see all the faces but not so hot on names. There were so many in the O & S Dept, the whistler may have been in there. Do you remember any of the girls in the Postal and Filing Dept? Mrs Stringer was the supervisor when I first started. I can see so many faces in the Drawing Office and I remember Mr Malin very well, having done some work for him. I wish when we draw our pension they would let us keep more of our memories. Lol Hope you are keeping ok and taking care. Wave
Alfred Herbert Ltd
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
145 of 145  Thu 15th Apr 2021 9:01pm  

Hi Dreamtime. Sadly I can't remember any of the girls' names in Postal and Filing. I'm not very good at names but can remember faces quite well. Take care and stay safe. Thumbs up
Alfred Herbert Ltd

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 136 to 145 of 145 posts

Page 10 of 10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Little Park Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Hertford Street