No actionNo action
113 posts:
Order:    

PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
106 of 113  Fri 3rd Sep 2021 8:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3676

Evening all, The theme tune for "Friday night is music night", was the regular opening melody splash for the band Minim Music, who I played with for many years. This time on a Friday evening, we would be doing just that at the Albany pub. My idols of music were The Duke & Semprini. Both of these musicians had the amazing ability to play multi time signatures simultaneously. I had my first experience of this in a classic piece, To the Spring by Greig, which formed part of my grade six exam. The organist that I'm hoping that you will enjoy listening to, Tedde Gibson, performing on a giant Kimball organ, has this skill like I've not heard in a decade. Tedde Gibson To The Spring (for comparison of multi-time signature classics) I tell you what! I was never frightened of playing in sharps after learning that piece. Six sharps bloomin eck!
Organs (cinema, theatre, church, etc)
Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
107 of 113  Sat 4th Sep 2021 7:46am  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:89

Philip, I thank you for reviving pleasant memories, I am a big fan of Greig particularly his nature pieces, this brought back to me the time standing at the spot where Greig is interred and standing looking out over the fiords at the place he lived and composed. A pleasant time, thank you. Derek.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
108 of 113  Sat 4th Sep 2021 6:09pm  

Thank you Derek, As I'm moving more & more outdoors, as restrictions are being lifted ever mindful that Covid has not gone away, nor is it likely to, as we adapt to it, that's the way that I'm thinking at present. I'm also reminded that a lot of folk are still very nervous of venturing out to entertainment venues, very much so for those down under. Sometimes a good all round entertainer is what is called for. Hope there is something from this fabulous organist. If this doesn't get toes & feet tapping, well. Please listen to his introduction, it's really worth it.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
109 of 113  Sun 5th Sep 2021 12:23pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2768

My satnav comes out of the dashboard like that one on the Tedde Gibson link. I wish it were as competent at directions as he is on the organ. I too like a bit of Grieg.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
110 of 113  Sun 5th Sep 2021 4:21pm  

Hi all, I tell you what, Helen. I can't wait for the day when I'm able to post a recording of our own Coventry Gaumont Compton upon completion of its restoration. It's fun riding up & down on an organ lift. The New St Odeon was a twizzler, it spun round from behind a curtain, as did Turners in Northampton. I enjoy Dave's performance on my last post as he gives a good airing to the phantom piano. The organ in the Brighton Pavilion had all of the percussion instruments, including the Bechstein grand, were all in front of the organ on the dance floor level. There was a guard rail so that those dancing could not interfere with them accidentally whilst dancing. I loved that set-up.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
111 of 113  Sun 5th Sep 2021 11:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2768

Philip, Philip, Philip, if you're going to post the script for a new Carry On movie you need to put up a warning for people to put their drink down first. Lol
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
112 of 113  Fri 10th Sep 2021 9:45pm  

Hi all, Now then, Helen, Just when you thought it was bedtime, it's cinema organ lesson time. A newcomer’s look at a cinema organ. Hope you enjoy.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
113 of 113  Sun 10th Oct 2021 10:03pm  

Hi all, Ages since I posted an Organist Entertains performance. Possibly the finest restored British-built Compton organ anywhere, this installed in a private home, this side of the pond. Simon Gledhill & Richard Hills. The collective term for theatre or cinema organists is showmen. Richard & Simon, are beyond that classification I believe as their intent is the quality of their musical performance, not showing off. I do hope you enjoy this presentation on home soil, only uploaded a few days ago. ps. Please use either high performance hi-fi, or earphones for optimum listening enjoyment.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 113 of 113 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hillfields
|

Next (newer) topic

Priory Row