No actionNo action
65 posts:
Order:    

Arthur
West Yorks.
All posts by this member
61 of 65  Sat 12th Sep 2015 9:56am  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:35

When I first arrived in Coventry in 1946, we lived in Newdigate Road and we had two scrap yards. The one on the corner of Red Lane was Roaches and the one up the end was old man Smithie who lived in a caravan on the site.

Question

Scrap Yards
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
62 of 65  Sun 13th Sep 2015 10:55am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2731

Have posted this before, but the first scrap yard I ever saw was down the small road down to the 'slough' 1941 time, he made enough money to buy land and build a house, much to the envy of the neighbours that criticised him.
Scrap Yards
Alvisnick
France
All posts by this member
63 of 65  Sat 19th Sep 2015 9:46pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:23

Roach's Scrapyard existed before WWII, as early as the 1920's. It is known that the Alvis company always used Roach's to destroy their old racing cars and many prototype vehicles that could not be sold for one reason or another. Roach's were charged with guaranteeing that any such vehicles were totally destroyed and no parts sold. In fact parts of one of the 1920's front wheel drive Alvis racing cars did emerge, having been buried under tons of metal until just after WWII. These parts are now being rebuilt into a replica of the original front wheel drive racer.
Scrap Yards
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
64 of 65  Sun 20th Sep 2015 8:05pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:572

Strange how it managed to survive WW2 when I seem to remember they were collecting really fancy railings and everything else they could lay their hands on.
Scrap Yards
sipods
South Korea
All posts by this member
65 of 65  Fri 22nd Jan 2016 4:09am  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:1

On 21st Jan 2014 3:33pm, Radford kid said: Hello Mickw, the names you mentioned I know them very well, along with Mick Dintar (Hot Dog), Skip (the Prisoner) and a few others including myself (Rover) we started WK CB using the Grange (lighthouse) then we moved to the Barras Heath Working Men's Club until it disbanded, during that time I took my RAE and became legal operating on 2m and 70cm. Anyone who took the RAE were called B.O.Fs I will let you work that one out. It's a small world Mick and I must know you if you worked with Mick Dintar.,One of the Valley road scrap yards was operated by another CBer, Danny Cxxxxx. I hope you throw some more memories this way Mick. Colin. Cheers
I remember Skip (The Prisoner) and Hot Dog and WKCB! Small world. I was actually WKCB 277 and attended the meetings at the tender age of 16 but still got a few pints in the club! I'm also licensed now and live in Korea although originally from Coundon. Call is HL5ZEE or US call NP2PU. Ru still active. I'm active on HF - would be great to meet on air. 73 - Simon (Taxi Cab back in the day!).
Mark Simon Thomas

Scrap Yards

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 65 of 65 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Maton's funeral directors
|

Next (newer) topic