Topic categories:

Non-Coventry

Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 204 of 204 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action
204 posts:
Order:    

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
196 of 204  Tue 13th Aug 2019 6:52pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:103

I drove a lot between university campuses in Queensland during the period when this same safety discussion was taking place in Australia (around 2010). I initially used a blue tooth hands free connection, but eventually the university advised all their drivers not to take calls at all. The level of distraction was also compared to the drink-drive limit for alcohol. The reason given for the high level of distraction was that having a conversation meant that not only were you listening but also formulating the next thing you wished to say. Surprisingly, having a conversation with someone in the same vehicle did not have the same level of distraction which was put down to the fact that the other person was also aware of the traffic situation around them. Listening to the radio or music did not appear to have a significant impact, and did actually help to prevent fatigue setting in from unchanging road noise or the regular swish of windscreen wipers (not so frequent in Queensland!). I also believe that driver training has an important place to play in concentration. I have noticed that when a traffic situation is developing around me, I loose track of any conversation I am involved in until the situation is resolved. Unfortunately, I have also noticed that this is not the case for the majority of drivers, for whom the car has become an extension of the living room or office. Modern vehicles have become ever more safe (except for complicated menu and submenu screens to control ever more items), however, the same can not always be said for the operators. I do agree that there seems to be a move by many authorities to make private car ownership less attractive. I suspect the future may move to on-demand driverless vehicles, particularly in urban areas.
Non-Coventry - Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
197 of 204  Mon 2nd Nov 2020 9:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2609

For the past 4 or so years I've been at war. It's made me more than a bit sad. Sad Plans have been afoot to destroy my area and all the cards were stacked against a little band of locals trying to save what remains of greenbelt. I've read countless planning documents and thought up arguments galore. I threw Brexit at them, HS2, covid-19, climate change. I actually read all the glossy blurb they write to make their case. I found holes. The battle continues but we've won a few victories. The plans are now 3 years late because of successful objections and just today I hear that a major logistics company has had its plans rejected, not by the council but by the Secretary of State. The council was all for a warehouse taller than the local church and bigger than you could imagine to be built in prime farmland. It was the wedge to open a door for many hectares of warehousing in a town already dwarfed by them. Delays meant that the company's true financial state was revealed and it wasn't pretty. It meant that the vulnerability of the site as a mere asset to be sold was apparent. If we hadn't protested, it would have been built years ago and the councils other plans would be set in stone... or at least concrete. Further delays have meant that large areas of brownfield land have come available. Land that could have been predicted if only the council had wanted to. There's still more to do to protect the area from unfettered building but it's a start. So if your corner of the World is threatened don't just surrender and assume that the plans are inevitable.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
198 of 204  Tue 3rd Nov 2020 4:02am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3477

Morning Helen, If I was there I would be carrying a banner for you too. Our little part of the world had the very same problem. Our acre of land under the heading of rural desirable properties 25 years ago came under the same threat and fortunately was delayed by strong voices waylaying further development. We did get our money's worth for the 25 yrs before retiring and downsizing. However now the area is surrounded by industrial areas enclosed in by flyovers and freeways. As the old adage goes 'Money talks' and it always gets its way in the end. You either shout a whole lot louder or if you can't fight ‘em you may have to join ‘em. Another hard fact of life. Seems to be a lot of those these days. Don't give up the fight Helen, remember folk keep saying we do all these things for the future generations. Roll eyes
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
199 of 204  Tue 3rd Nov 2020 8:52am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2609

Morning Wave I admit that my stint banner waving at the townhall and leafletting in the local shopping centre left me feeling like a real berk. There wasn't a volunteer under 50. Part of the council's argument to build is 'for the young to get on the housing ladder', except where they are building housing there's very little under half a million Oh my . Though why anyone would want a home that expensive next to a logistics park is beyond me.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
200 of 204  Mon 28th Dec 2020 11:49am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3789

Summer 1945, in a little quiet field near Shaftesbury lay three army huts. In one of them 5 or 6 men plus Zig-Zag, double spy agent, were trying to solve the greatest secret of the Second World War - who was the man that could control the lives and deaths of so many. But that man has just died, and possibly the story will now be told. The hut the men were in was surrounded by barbed wire, three tier dennate wire, about a score of armed guards. The second hut belonged to the guards, the third hut was a hospital for special patients, and the prisoners. Inside the first hut, a third was sealed off, with more barbed wire and guards and about fifteen high-risk prisoners, from Britain's greatest and oldest military prison. This prison also held some of Britain's secret treasures during the war. It also held special rooms that few people knew of. There were no civilians, and few people knew it existed. Almost every agent, or small military raid, was known about by the enemy before it happened, and all were captured, executed or tortured and then executed, throughout the length of the war. But who was the man informing the enemy? This was the big question. Zig-Zag was suspected, double agent, paid by the British, paid by the Germans, decorated by the Germans. I believe he was tested, and found not guilty by British intelligence. But rumours had been running rife for a number of years. But as we went into the Cold War, it was found that five leading British Intelligence Officers were working for the Russians and everything had been relayed to the Russians and through them, the Germans. And George Blake was the top traitor.
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
201 of 204  Fri 8th Jan 2021 5:50pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:381

With all of the views on obesity, why do we keep getting adverts on TV telling us to "Just Eat" (all for junk food)?
Mick Strong

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
202 of 204  Sat 9th Jan 2021 3:05pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3477

Mick, It's all about money, money, money. The more you spend to eat the more profit they make. Thank goodness for my mute button, as soon as the ads come on - flick! Be strong Mick, be strong, it only takes one finger to do it! Lol Lol Lol Lol
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
203 of 204  Sat 9th Jan 2021 4:39pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4241

Hi all, I love a McDonalds, or KFC, but never an addiction, or anything regular. My jury (them grey bits in my head) as to what is healthy or unhealthy is well & truly out. Vegans have their codes, vegetarians likewise. It becomes junk when it becomes excessive, or dominant. Some consider fish & chips as junk food. Fish, packed with protein & minerals! I've always loved fish & chips, that's what Friday's were invented for... Anyway... When I was a little boy, ahh the little boy, my mum insisted that we ate fish at least twice a week. Cod was mushed into mash potato, with tomato sauce added. I can remember that before school age. I grew up as a child who simply liked food. Months upon months in Paybody hospital, food was utopia anywhere. Pam recently ordered a box of meat from a Scottish butcher on line. A dozen Scotch pies, a haggis, Scottish flat sausage meat, as well as Scottish highly seasoned round sausage. I don't need reminding that until the Scottish meat consumption reformation, where their oatmeal diet became a meat diet, which changed Scottish life expectancy from the best in Europe to the worst in just a decade, such a high meat consumption diet, I wouldn't have survived a haircut, leave alone COVID-19. So, that's my take on this. Pass the port, Merlin.
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
204 of 204  Sun 10th Jan 2021 1:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:55

Hi, I remember listening to James O'Brien, on LBC Radio, when he covered the topic of venture capitalists looking for opportunities to make money. He had an interesting view on Uber versus 'the black cabs', and apps such as Just Eat etc. His opinion was, that in both cases, venture capitalists had looked at these 'pies' with a view to getting themselves a piece of the action. His argument went along the lines of “how do you profit from the transaction? - you need to interfere with it!” So, in the case of a taxi journey, you might've jumped into a black cab, travelled your route, and then paid the driver with cash? He suggested that by forming Uber, financing a lovely, easy-to-use app, and offering punters cheaper fares (albeit for only a few years?), the venture capitalists could gradually take over the market and price the black cabs (and most locally-based private hire companies) off the roads? Once they had a monopoly, their pricing structure could be adjusted to maximise profits - yum, yum!! The end customer would be enticed by those cheaper fares at first (plus features on the app - such as to 'follow' the taxi to your door etc.), and give little regard to the mission creep until it was too late. In London, the black cab drivers have repeatedly protested over Uber's clear advantage in the way they operate, and the prospect of their domination of the market. At one point, Uber was one of the largest investors in autonomous car technologies (phase 2 - get rid of those pesky drivers!!?) ...and it's the same principle with Just Eat etc - how do you get a piece of, excuse the pun, THAT pie? Traditionally, you'd go to the takeaway, pay your money, and take your food home. Now there's a fancy app to use, and the food is delivered to your door - everyone is happy, right? You get your food delivered, and the local takeaway makes their money... what's wrong with that? Well, the likes of Just Eat are taking their slice of the growing takeaway food market (a market they are encouraging relentlessly, because it makes them money!!), and those local takeaways??... there's already documented stories of 'pop-up' kitchens, no better than glorified shipping containers, being used to cook up all your familiar favourites... how would YOU know where your McMeal had come from? I'm not sure if I totally agree with the points he makes, but I found it interesting.
OddSock: Particularly interested in the family surnames Cowley, Shale, & Pratt in Coventry!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 204 of 204 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Pets Corner
|

Next (newer) topic

Have a laugh!
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category