Topic categories:

Non-Coventry

Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 206 of 206 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action
206 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
196 of 206  Sat 24th Nov 2018 9:41pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5340

Merry Christmas Happy
Non-Coventry - Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
197 of 206  Sat 24th Nov 2018 11:59pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:286

Thanks MR (I think!) I remember the brand name very well, but Brussels sprouts flavoured? Uuuuuuurrrgh!!! This would be more Christmassy, IMHO. Ho, Ho!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
198 of 206  Sun 25th Nov 2018 3:03pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3316

Better the Brussels sprouts flavour than Walker's Cajun Squirrel! Oh my Roll eyes
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
199 of 206  Sun 25th Nov 2018 10:20pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:286

Thanks, Dreamtime, (I think!!!) - for alerting me to the Cajun Squirrel crisps - never heard of them, and wouldn't mind not hearing again! Cheers
True Blue Coventry Kid

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
200 of 206  Mon 26th Nov 2018 9:36am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5340

On 24th Nov 2018 11:59pm, JohnnieWalker said: Thanks MR (I think!) I remember the brand name very well, but Brussels sprouts flavoured? Uuuuuuurrrgh!!! This would be more Christmassy, IMHO. Ho, Ho!
Whisky. Uuuuuuurrrgh!!!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
201 of 206  Mon 26th Nov 2018 2:22pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

The Coventry baker says this is the staff of life That comforts both the man and wife The brewer says 'You foolish oaf, This whisky is the very life itself'.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
202 of 206  Tue 27th Nov 2018 10:20am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

Midland Red, You did well to pick the USA for your cruise, scores of European river cruises have been cancelled, not enough water in the rivers for river boats to operate.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
203 of 206  Thu 6th Dec 2018 8:10am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1101

A piece on 'studentification' caught my eye in the Guardian this morning. Students
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
204 of 206  Thu 6th Dec 2018 1:09pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:531

Students get a bad press, as if they are the sole cause of problems. In my experience it isn't students that are to blame - it's winos, druggies, roughies who accost/intimidate the public by begging for money. Begging is illegal in public but our now-virtually-non-existent police force chooses to do nothing about it, just as they choose to do with cycling on the pavement etc. The problem is rife in not just cities, but even posh towns like "Royal" Leamington Spa.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
205 of 206  Tue 13th Aug 2019 11:58am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4157

Morning all. Driving safely. I have my carphone set to receive calls only at present, unless the car is stationary with the ignition switched off. That way I am not tempted to search directories & the like whilst driving. What do we think of this news item? Quite apart from any safety aspect, our parliament wants to look as though it is anti-car anything at present I believe, only my opinion. Nothing much changes, hey.
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
206 of 206  Tue 13th Aug 2019 6:52pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:42

I drove a lot between university campuses in Queensland during the period when this same safety discussion was taking place in Australia (around 2010). I initially used a blue tooth hands free connection, but eventually the university advised all their drivers not to take calls at all. The level of distraction was also compared to the drink-drive limit for alcohol. The reason given for the high level of distraction was that having a conversation meant that not only were you listening but also formulating the next thing you wished to say. Surprisingly, having a conversation with someone in the same vehicle did not have the same level of distraction which was put down to the fact that the other person was also aware of the traffic situation around them. Listening to the radio or music did not appear to have a significant impact, and did actually help to prevent fatigue setting in from unchanging road noise or the regular swish of windscreen wipers (not so frequent in Queensland!). I also believe that driver training has an important place to play in concentration. I have noticed that when a traffic situation is developing around me, I loose track of any conversation I am involved in until the situation is resolved. Unfortunately, I have also noticed that this is not the case for the majority of drivers, for whom the car has become an extension of the living room or office. Modern vehicles have become ever more safe (except for complicated menu and submenu screens to control ever more items), however, the same can not always be said for the operators. I do agree that there seems to be a move by many authorities to make private car ownership less attractive. I suspect the future may move to on-demand driverless vehicles, particularly in urban areas.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 206 of 206 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Rambling, farther afield from Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Favourite Books
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category