Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Thu 13th Dec 2012 4:54pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2863

In case no one has looked in the guest book today - Sandra Dee is asking about St Michael's School on the London Road.
St Michael's School, Much Park Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Thu 13th Dec 2012 8:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

I think she means the one in Much Park Street? Old-Maps.co.uk I'm sure it's been discussed here before when its location was mistaken for Gulson Road but cannot find it. There was definitely a discussion in the Coventry Telegraph forum but this has now been deleted by Trinity-Mirror. Sad
charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Fri 14th Dec 2012 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:152

I think that the St Michael's referred to is the one which was on Frankpledge Road, between there and the London Road next to Daventry Road. It was a C of E primary school and was closed some years ago to be replaced by a small housing estate.
charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Fri 14th Dec 2012 2:46pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:152

Extracted from 'British History On Line', sponsored by Victoria County History re St Michael's - Opened in association with Central N. (q.v.) and Greyfriars Lane (q.v.) schs.; 1853 housed in leased premises in Rose and Crown Yard (q.v.), Gosford St. (q.v.), and Greyfriars Lane; 1855 Rose and Crown Yard and Gosford St. closed and new sch. opened in Much Park St.; Greyfriars Lane (q.v.) continued as a branch sch.; 1948 became controlled sch.; 1958 Much Park St. closed and sch. rebuilt in Frankpledge Rd. (1, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 40). See also Red Lane N. From: 'The City of Coventry: Public education', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 8: The City of Coventry and Borough of Warwick (1969), pp. 299-315. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16036 Date accessed: 14 December 2012.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Fri 14th Dec 2012 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1554

Which means it would have been right next to where the T&GW Union building is now by the Ring Road going by Dutchman's map Sad
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Fri 14th Dec 2012 4:10pm  

I have a vague memory of the building remaining standing between the newly-built Transport House and the Admiral Lord Rodney. Always assumed it was a church.
TEKMELF
HAWKESBURY
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Sat 15th Dec 2012 11:07am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:80

It was a school next to where the T&G building is now. My dad went there prior to moving to Cheylesmore School, Mile Lane. Between the Lord Rodney and the school there was a block of shops including the Dew Drop Inn cafe, Stokes's cycle shop and a sweet shop. The school was next set back from the road with a fence alongside the pavement, then there was the Salutation public house opposite Whitefriars St.
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Sat 15th Dec 2012 1:58pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:929

I found a photo of The Admiral Lord Rodney as it seems that the school was close by? There is a gap to the side and some building seems set back. I can't seem to find an image of the school anywhere though.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Sat 15th Dec 2012 3:00pm  

On 15th Dec 2012 11:07am, TEKMELF said: It was a school next to where the T&G building is now.
I know that now, but at the time there was nothing to suggest it had once been a school Wink
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Thu 28th Aug 2014 9:33pm  

Here it is in 1948, just visible on the extreme left and set back from the road. The Admiral Lord Rodney/Rainbows is centre of the picture on the south side of what was once Much Park Street: Edited by member, 30th Jan 2016 2:29 pm
Snowyjt
Blackpool
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Fri 7th Nov 2014 5:43pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:1

This indeed is St. Michael's C of E School I went there from 1953 to 1958 then to Vecqueray Street School for a short while until the new school on Whitley Common was completed. I left there and went to Whitley Abbey.
hjtranter

petehutt
radford coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Fri 7th Nov 2014 11:31pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:49

Wow I went there around 1950/51ish till I went to Cheylesmore Secondary Modern, I wondered where it was I had forgotten its whereabouts. I lived in Whitefriars Street. Memories.
Cookie
Warwickshire
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Sat 8th Nov 2014 3:12pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:6

St. Michael's School was in Much Park Street near to The Admiral Lord Rodney. My mum, Florence Hemmings and her sister Gert and two brothers, Jack and Charlie all attended there. My mum used to tell me that when she was about 6 years old, her mum, my gran, moved from the little court they lived in just behind the Rodney, to a "bit better court" in Far Gosford Street. Because of the move, mum and Gert were told they had to leave St. Michael's, and go to Vecqueray Street School which was nearer for them. Apparently, they went the first morning but decided it wasn't for them! So at lunchtime, my mum got hold of Gertie's hand and took her back up to St Michaels. Of course, that meant that on leaving school in the afternoon, they were very late getting home to Far Gosford Street. Gran was frantic, and out looking for them. But, when she heard what had happened, she told them it was ok they could still go to St Michael's. Can you imagine that happening these days! I remember mum and aunty Gert both crying when the school was pulled down to make way for the new Ring Road.
kathy1988
coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Tue 29th Aug 2017 11:59am  
Member: Joined Aug 2017  Total posts:1

Hello everyone I am looking for old pupils or stories from my old school St Michael's. The school was on Much Park Street and is no longer there. I remember one teacher I believe was called Mrs Riley and the old headmistress Mrs Allen who lived at the bottom of Paradise Street. The only pupil I remember from my class is a lady called Jean Young. I would love to see any pictures and hear your stories. I attended in 1947 to 1953 but any pictures and stories are welcome. Kathleen Langford Edited by member, 29th Aug 2017 3:13 pm
k taylor

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Tue 29th Aug 2017 1:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4541

Hello Kathleen, and welcome to our friendly forum Wave Hopefully someone will see your post who can help with your request Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Allesley Castle
|

Next (newer) topic

Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 62ms)