No actionNo action
59 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
46 of 59  Mon 6th Aug 2018 4:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3373

Yes Kaga, it's called moving with the times. All these old movies revamped and not as good as the original stars who performed in them those years ago. A list as long as your arm of all the old favourites, even the female stars are no longer as glamorous as those before, although I am sure some of the younger set on this forum may not agree because they may have never seen the stars who we had admired over the years and thought of as old fashioned. Even the content of the movies today is more suitable for those with broader minds, in fact to put a label on them I would write 'smutty'. The children today are very happy to watch horror movies and I am sure there are a lot of parents quite happy to let them so long as they are kept amused, then blame the media for the outcome or even the content of today's music ie. language and not forgetting violence. Is it any wonder that the world is the way it is. I hate to think what it will be like for the generations to come. It's all very well banning plastic bags (like here in Oz) they should start looking at the filth on the TV. Enough said.
Favourite movies and film memories
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
47 of 59  Wed 15th Aug 2018 7:13pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:558

On 6th Aug 2018 4:07pm, Dreamtime said: Yes Kaga, it's called moving with the times. All these old movies revamped and not as good as the original stars who performed in them those years ago.
I agree, Dream. In every case of a new version of an original film being made, I find it a disappointment, to the extent that I no longer watch any of them. Maybe I'm just getting old! Smile
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
48 of 59  Thu 16th Aug 2018 5:10am  

On 15th Aug 2018 7:13pm, Slim said:
On 6th Aug 2018 4:07pm, Dreamtime said: Yes Kaga, it's called moving with the times. All these old movies revamped and not as good as the original stars who performed in them those years ago.
I agree, Dream. In every case of a new version of an original film being made, I find it a disappointment, to the extent that I no longer watch any of them. Maybe I'm just getting old! Smile
Slim, deep down I think most of our age, well mine anyway, think the same. I like to think I am a bit beyond the 'Dukes' days - Howdy pilgrim!!! Also they were not all jumping into bed like today. Hey, not that I am a prude and can take that in moderation, but look how young they are and seem to know it all, it's not as if they invented IT! Give me a good espionage movie any day so long as the stars are not painted green with metallic suits. Oh lordy, Lost in Space. Aaahhhh!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
49 of 59  Thu 16th Aug 2018 9:07am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3202

Dreamtime, The Gaumont was hit with a bomb backstage, killed three people, nearly put paid to it. I think you were too young for Lon Chaney and Boris Karloff (The Mummy), both frightening faces without make-up. But it was the funny man French actor Fernandel in the middle fifties I remember best in 'The Sheep Has Five Legs' - five different stories, five guys with five lumps of sugar, betting the first lump of sugar a fly lands on gets to own the ship they're on (expressions). Spencer Tracy, 'Bad day at Black Rock'. As for the Duke, 'Get of your horse and drink your milk'.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
50 of 59  Thu 16th Aug 2018 10:59am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:558

I remember Fernandel on the TV adverts, saying "Doo 'ave a Du-bonnay!" Smile
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
51 of 59  Mon 10th Sep 2018 4:10pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:445

Over the weekend I watched an old 1938 Will Hay film, 'Convict 99', which I have seen, but not for a long time. In it, the prisoners are discussing which teams would most likely draw for the football coupon. One says "What about Coventry?" to which Will Hay replies "nice town with lots of bicycles"! Big grin
covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
52 of 59  Tue 11th Sep 2018 10:36am  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:63

Being a girly my favourite films include Disney's Bambi, who didn't cry when his mother was shot , Snow White, my mother had to take me out when the wicked witch was on leaving my sister to watch alone, later films include Dances with wolves, Gladiator, Hot Fuzz, Blazing Saddles, Gone with the Wind, and of course Pretty Woman the ultimate chick flick.

Question

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
53 of 59  Sun 15th Sep 2019 10:37am  

David Niven (English) appeared in films in Coventry in the late 30's that I saw, but it wasn't till 1945 that his name became famous for me, admired, and a kind of glorified person - not a great actor, but a great English character, funster, charming, storyteller, heroic, patriotic, romantic, sportsman, and on top of all of that he was, let’s say, well sprung. David was becoming one of the 'greats' of Hollywood, his charm saw him romantic with every woman he came in contact with, but he was up there with all the legendary film stars. But war came, and David was fiercely patriotic, despite USA and Britain telling him he was better to each as a propagandist. 400 dare-devil men trained as commandos split in to four groups, one group trained and in charge was David. He was outstanding, in fitness, endurance,etc (at school he had excelled at sports). He was, with a few like him, the first to lay down the fitness and skill to what would become our SAS. He took part in some daring raids that he couldn't portray in films, but he left behind soldiers that sang his name and skills to teach others.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
54 of 59  Sun 15th Sep 2019 5:10pm  

Kaga, I thought David Niven was well cast in The Guns of Navarone. I am sure he was the one who planted the dead rats on the guns to conceal the bombs. Made a change from his 'romantic comedies'.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
55 of 59  Sun 15th Sep 2019 11:24pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1118

My favourite is 'The Book Thief'. While subjected to the horrors of WWII Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. Under the stairs in her home, a Jewish refuge is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
56 of 59  Mon 16th Sep 2019 10:23am  

Dreamtime. Yes he was, he was the only one in the whole cast that had actually done it for real during the war. It was the Germans that had named their group the 'phantoms’ because they stole in, blew things up and disappeared. He was a great friend of Churchill and would often walk with him round his garden and discuss with him the war, painting, and all manner of things. Churchill once told him off for disclosing the training of his group. How I know this? Because two of his men became my instructors in early 1945. Pixrobin. Yes, I enjoyed it too, amazing the things that happened during the war. There was one of the top Nazis (forget which one), his brother was completely opposite and smuggled Jewish children out of Germany.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
57 of 59  Wed 2nd Oct 2019 11:17am  

From around 1915 to 1938 Charlie Chaplin was the most known man in the world. From Russia to Australia Chaplin had people crying and laughing in every country with his silent antics and expressions - if he visited a city people turned out in their thousands, clogged the streets, stopped the traffic. At a time when life was really hard and short, Charlie got deep inside people and they adored him more than anyone has ever done, he was a phenomenon. He relied upon intuition, instinct and inspiration. He was a mime genius that did not speak. In 1925 he made The Gold Rush. The landscape was of mountains and glaciers, a mining camp. A log cabin was constructed on the edge of the cliff, the mountain fell away and Charlie was left in the cabin balanced, the door of the cabin looking down thousands of feet below. Charlie put one foot forward and the cabin tipped, ready to slide into the chasm, and the audience held their breath. He brought it back and the cabin settled back, he placed his foot and again the cabin tipped, and the audience gasped. He did that several times then turned it into a see-saw, and smiled - he was like a kid in the park, on a see-saw, and the audience laughed with him and so did all the people in Coventry at the cinemas. A few years later, with that still fresh in mind, a house close to the 'clod banks' woke up to find a huge deep hole in their garden that could have swallowed the house outside their front door (Johnnie Walker’s grandfather’s house), a scene not unlike Charlie’s cabin. Around half a century later the cabin became a bus in the film 'The Italian Job'.
Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
58 of 59  Thu 3rd Oct 2019 9:28am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:33

I can't decide on a favourite movie, there are so many! I will write that pre recent comedy movies I admire Robert De Niro and Al Pacino as actors. Not real old school such as Cary Grant, James Stewart, Gregory Peck or Burt Lancaster but I think stand out over the last 30 40 years.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
59 of 59  Mon 14th Oct 2019 5:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1714

I agree with Gumnut that there are too many favourite movies but what about favourite movies that aren't critically acclaimed? I love Evolution (the full night time version with the naughty jokes is best).

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 59 of 59 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)
|

Next (newer) topic

Modelling the city