No actionNo action
150 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
136 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 10:53am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:482

Oh thanks NeilsYard for posting this one. I forget the name of the daring presenter, but how he managed to commentate while in motion is a major triumph (dubbing?). I for one, had no idea of the variety of old bikes there were in Coventry or even the extent of "made in Coventry". I knew about the "Penny Farthing" of course - my grandmother, I think she lived in a cottage near the Rose and Woodbine, used to tell the tale of Billy somebody or other that used to come down the street on one of those "looking in the upstairs windows". I always had an idea that was Vecqueray St area, doesn`t that follow on from Eagle Street? I also think her sister lived in Eagle Street at one stage. Grandmother Annie Bryan, great aunt Eleanor (Nell) Bryan.
Coventry on film
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
137 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 11:21am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

Vecqueray Street links the bottom of Far Gosford Street to Gulson Road, so no, not near to Eagle Street Oh my
Coventry on film
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
138 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 2:26pm  

Please help me I`m lost MR. Haven`t been there for at least 40 years, but I thought I used to get from the Foleshill Rd to the Stoney Stanton Road, by going down the Hill at Eagle Street and following it through to what I thought was Vequeray St at the traffic lights at Stoney Stanton Road. If I was travelling in that direction I used to get electrical bits for the car (bangers) from a small shop (shed) on the right hand side just before the traffic lights. Eagle St - scene of my best accident. I had sold my Triumph Herald (glad to see it go, always having punctures) on a Saturday afternoon, had cash in my pocket, but carless, went up town and back by bus, stopped in Broad Lane, by garage at entrance to Mt. Nod, cars in forecourt for sale - too dear, so had a look at the rubbish round the back, spotted Morris 1000 TDU278 £20 - needed wheels, No MOT, will it MOT? yes with a bit of welding and what they told me was a lay shaft in the gear box. Bought it and took it to my friend Ron Elliot at Brownshill Green, Smithy Garage - he fixed it up enough for MOT, but funds wouldn`t stretch to do the rotten boot perimeter. First time out - going down Eagle St, obliging young lady ran into the back of me - result she paid for the welding of the boot. Did over 10,000 miles in that car including trip to Heathrow to pick up friend from Ghana who arrived complete with child, sundry furniture and an African Grey Parrot in a cage (I`ve got a story about that parrot that I could put on here if anybody is interested). Oh the last time I saw that car, it was being pushed down the road by a farmer and his son to get it started, they had paid £50 and were quite happy with it, were going to cut the top off it and use it as an open moke for the lad to drive around the fields. PS I still run bangers, my Rover 455 goes in for welding and MOT tomorrow.
Coventry on film
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
139 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 3:40pm  

The traffic lights suggest it was Harnall Lane Thumbs up
Coventry on film
jonboy
styvechale coventry
All posts by this member
140 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 4:09pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:27

Great footage NeilsYard. I believe the cycling reporter was Chris Brasher who helped pace Roger Bannister to the first four minute mile in 1954. Chris later went on to become the instigator of the annual London Marathon.
Coventry on film
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
141 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 5:20pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:376

Hi, it's easy to see where you entered Eagle Street but where did you enter Stoney Stanton Road. This is from a pre-ring road street guide.
Coventry on film
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
142 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 5:25pm  

The "main drag" was always into Springfield Street, then Harnall Lane to the traffic lights Thumbs up
Coventry on film
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
143 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 5:49pm  

Interesting . . thank you for that.
Coventry on film
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
144 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 6:21pm  

On 7th Mar 2017 5:25pm, Midland Red said: The "main drag" was always into Springfield Street, then Harnall Lane to the traffic lights Thumbs up
I agree with what you say MR But if you notice Eagle St is named twice So what is that short bit with the triangle and two quadrilateral shapes called that is blank on the map and is the continuation of Springfield Rd to the lights at Stoney Stanton Rd.
Coventry on film
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
145 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 6:34pm  

Harnall Lane Below it is Howard Street The "loop" at Foleshill Road is Lincoln Street
Coventry on film
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
146 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 6:41pm  

Coventry on film
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
147 of 150  Tue 7th Mar 2017 6:43pm  

See top edge of image. Same map as before, pre- ring road street guide.
Coventry on film
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
148 of 150  Fri 7th Apr 2017 12:43pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:198

Just been looking at this link to old Coventry films - have you seen it? You can also find other places by entering a name in the search box.

Question

Coventry on film
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
149 of 150  Tue 5th Dec 2017 11:14am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:334

I saw, possibly on the Midlands News, an article about a feature film being made in the city about zombies maybe 1/2 years ago. Does anyone know the name of the film and has it been shown at the cinema?

Question

Coventry on film
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
150 of 150  Tue 5th Dec 2017 11:54am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:336

The film is called Immune and was shown at a few venues last year, but has not had a general release. Here is a trailer. Unfortunately the link to the full film no longer works.
Coventry on film

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 136 to 150 of 150 posts

Page 10 of 10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Christmas / New Year Wishes
|

Next (newer) topic

Warwick Lane
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 52ms)