No actionNo action
49 posts:
Order:    

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
46 of 49  Sun 21st Feb 2021 11:48am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:255

At the other extreme I was offered an E Type for £250. It was the winter when we had petrol shortages, petrol coupons, and the price of fuel soared to nearly £1 a gallon. I think it was 1973/74. The car was a red 1964 Fixed Head Coupe. It looked OK from 100 yards away on a foggy day. It had obviously had a very hard life because the bonnet was both rusty and twisted, the doors were showing rust, and the rear wheel arches were quite rusty. The engine smoked like a destroyer going into battle and was very noisy. The gearbox was also a bit suspect from what I was told. The independent rear suspension clanked and banged over every bump. The exhaust looked rusty and the tyres were past their best. I saw it a few times in the vicinity of Lythalls Lane and it was somewhere round there that the owner extolled the virtues of owning such a car, although at the time I was not impressed. I recall that the remaining MOT was measured in weeks, maybe days. At the time I was newly married and driving round in a 1964 Morris 1100 which cost me just £20 so I did not have £250 even if I had been tempted, which I was not. I guess that the car went to the scrapyard and was broken for what few bits were still any good. Over the years I look back and think which cars I should have bought but did not. The E Type was not one of them although a 1956 2.4 Saloon was!
Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)
lindatee2002
Virginia USA
All posts by this member
47 of 49  Sun 21st Feb 2021 3:53pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2015  Total posts:64

On 21st Feb 2021 9:37am, matchle55 said: Manassas? Is that the civil war site, or bull run? A passion of mine, the American Civil War Thumbs up
Yes, this is the famous home of one of the biggest battles of the US civil war. We lived about 12 miles up the road and my son still lives there. We live in Virginia but much closer to D.C.
Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)
Kevin D J D
Warwickshire
All posts by this member
48 of 49  Sun 21st Feb 2021 9:20pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2021  Total posts:5

On the Jaguar/Daimler site in the former apprentice training school which was located above 60 shop there was a V12 engine block with one side of the V removed and a blanking plate cover on that side, and a AJ6 engine on the other side, I don’t know if it was ever fitted in a car.
Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
49 of 49  Wed 24th Feb 2021 1:43pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2813

As per my earlier mention, Mr Lyons’ original Coventry home is back on the market.
Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 49 of 49 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Midland Air Museum
|

Next (newer) topic

The future of Coventry Stadium, Brandon