No actionNo action
174 posts:
Order:    

lolipop
arley
All posts by this member
166 of 174  Sat 13th Oct 2018 2:59pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2018  Total posts:11

Hi Argon, I started work at Bobby Savage's as a van boy back in 61. Alec Guy was my uncle and went with him for a week on a trial run to see if I would like the job. Started the following week. Your dad and mine (Harry Nicholson) were on the rounds at one time and old friends for many years. I remember Ted Eaton in the "fecky", Knocker Woodfield, Frank Smith, Dave Emery and a few others. I left and joined up with dad at Sutton's because Savage's only paid me £4 6s and Suttons offered me £4 15s to do the same job.
Nicholson

Industry, Business and Work - Coventry Bakers and Bakeries
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
167 of 174  Sat 13th Oct 2018 6:05pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:224

'lo, Lollipop, Think that you have confused me with someone else. I worked at Armstrong Whitworth in '61, and my dad was running his own business, (not bakery). Nice to know that you managed to progress to a, then, reasonable wage of £4.15s Quite a good wage in those days but not making lots of dough ! Cheers
lolipop
arley
All posts by this member
168 of 174  Sun 14th Oct 2018 1:33pm  

Sorry argon, looking at too many posts, think it should have been BlueLeader
Nicholson

Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
169 of 174  Fri 15th Mar 2019 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:222

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
170 of 174  Sat 16th Mar 2019 9:25am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1518

My dad’s old workplace but I don’t think he ever used one of those! His van was a bit bigger. Although he did look after a horse for a coop milkman when he was at school so I imagine the cart woukd have been like that, would have been late 1920’s Edited by member, 16th Mar 2019 11:06 am
lolipop
arley
All posts by this member
171 of 174  Sat 20th Jul 2019 7:47pm  

Fred Kilpatrick had the batch bar / cafe with the front entrance in Lower Ford St and the rear entrance, mainly used by bus drivers, went onto Pool Meadow. Fred was a friend of my dad who worked at Suttons Bakery which supplied the bread and rolls to Fred. When Suttons had held any works functions they where invariably at the Berkeley where my dad would disappear and reappear sometime later, lets say slightly wobbly on his feet, after having a "chin wag" with Fred. Lol Cheers Cheers Edited by member, 20th Jul 2019 7:49 pm
Nicholson

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
172 of 174  Sat 20th Jul 2019 9:13pm  

Lolipop. My dad also worked at Suttons Bakeries and would have attended some of those do’s at the Berkeley. Was that the hotel on the Holyhead Road? I believe the social club was called the F G Club after Frederick Sutton who started the company. Dad was a wholesale supervisor. Did you go to any of the cricket matches or treasure hunts? Dad worked at Suttons from about the early 1950’s until he retired in the 1980’s. Sorry to go off the hotel subject. Edited by member, 20th Jul 2019 9:16 pm
lolipop
arley
All posts by this member
173 of 174  Sun 21st Jul 2019 6:01pm  

Annewiggy, yes it was on Lower Holyhead Rd and was demolished to make way for the Ring Rd. Again yes, it was the FG Club. Never went to the cricket matches but we did go on the treasure hunts. My dad was Night Dispatch Manager for 30 odd years (Harry Nicholson). I started as a van boy back in 61/62 after a short spell at Bobby Savages and knew most supervisors wholesale and retail - Ray Webb, Frank Lovell, Bert Yardley, relief driver John “Dinger" Bell. Who was your dad?
Nicholson

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
174 of 174  Sun 21st Jul 2019 6:54pm  

Well, you’ve mentioned him there, Bert Yardley! I never went to any of the adult dos but I remember going to a Christmas party at the Berkley and seeing Sooty and Sweep. I was so surprised that he was a golden colour and not black and white as he was on the television. We used to have to go to the cricket matches, as a supervisor dad had a white coat so he was the umpire! I used to like the treasure hunts and the nice teas we had afterwards, usually in a nice pub or hotel. My brothers worked Saturdays there as well, I think they had to run the paperwork up to the accounts office when the men came back.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 166 to 174 of 174 posts

Page 12 of 12

1 2 3 4 5 .. 8 9 10 11 12
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Watchmaking in Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Hotels