Next pageNo action
36 posts:
Order:    

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
16 of 36  Fri 30th Nov 2018 4:43pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1066

What is the bombed building next to Ford's in the photo? Any ideas? Just looked again at Neil's post where we see it pre-Blitz! Apparently a dwelling with the small child outside. Edited by member, 30th Nov 2018 4:46 pm
Local History and Heritage - Ford's Hospital
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 8:23am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:579

Here's a possible candidate for the house adjacent the Hospital.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
18 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 9:35am  

Thanks Heathite, an Almoner no doubt attached to Ford's Hospital, so the hospital probably owned the building.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 9:41am  

Thanks Prof, my thoughts too but he doesn't come up on the 1939 register. At least, not as an almoner. They allow occupation as a search criteria on Findmypast. But zero results for that.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
20 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 9:56am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1482

You're a wizard with the directories Heathite. Thumbs up With the hospital at 24, there's a gap where 25 and 26 used to be and then Mrs Farmer was in the left hand side at 27 and Mrs Hordern lived on the right at 28. Widows? I think the Mr Baker, the almoner lived in the hospital? Edited by member, 1st Dec 2018 10:00 am
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
21 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 10:51am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1504

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 36  Sat 1st Dec 2018 11:04am  

Thank you Helen. I like to verify things. So the directories help. I feel you have a happy marriage of logic and intuition.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
23 of 36  Sun 2nd Dec 2018 8:31am  

Hi, I had another look a bit further back in the directories. As you can see, there is no 25 or 26 (why, what happened?). It look like John BAKER was also the church organist at St. John's and he was originally from Birmingham according to the census'. And . . I also agree he was living or staying at the Hospital. So on the 1939 register the house we are probably looking at (no. 27) was occupied by Leslie V DYER, born 1907 and a Fire engine fitter/tester.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
24 of 36  Sat 5th Jan 2019 8:16pm  

A view in the other direction from Neil's post 11 and also 14 prior to bomb damage. Edited by member, 5th Jan 2019 8:19 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
25 of 36  Wed 1st May 2019 10:08pm  

Forum library image Now at first glance this seems to be Broadgate with the cross in the foreground but I seriously think that it's a mirror flip of Greyfriars Lane with the Cross stuck on as a pretend scene. The shadow for the cross is all wrong but the building shadows work for the artist looking south at the buildings. If I'm right, that would then make the building on the left the Bell. One of the odd features is the spikes coming out of the 3 gables on the building like Fords but the decorative feature at the apex of the windows were probably stuck on pegs and when the carved wood was removed (repair), it would have left behind a spike. I have a picture of Fords with just such an odd set of spikes and no carved features. While trying to work out Broadgate I found that the different images of the Cross disagreed with each other. At least three are purely fiction. This image looks credible but doesn't fit with the pictures that I think do represent Broadgate. Of course it might just be fiction based on bits round the city.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
26 of 36  Sat 1st Jun 2019 10:58pm  

A rare and early image of Greyfriars Lane and Fords Hospital from a new website with many paintings in various collections. Watercolour World Edited by member, 1st Jun 2019 10:59 pm
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
27 of 36  Sun 2nd Jun 2019 5:02am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3316

Thanks Helen, How I love these old water colours of the old and memorable city. Nice to catch sight of these rare gems now and again, thanks again. My imagination runs wild when I see them and imagine what it was like to have lived in them.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
28 of 36  Wed 5th Jun 2019 6:18pm  

I know what you mean. Each picture makes you wonder what it felt like, as much as what it looked like. Every time I find a new images, it's like Christmas. The south of the city is most poorly recorded but I've filled a lot of gaps in.
Dreamtime
29 of 36  Thu 6th Jun 2019 3:47pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
30 of 36  Thu 6th Jun 2019 6:49pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

Dreamtime. The image that springs to mind, often their enjoyment shines through. Hay, rushes and mint strewn on the floor, you walk in, the floor looks soft, you feel as if you are afloat. Kids sitting on the floor on a blanket, the fire surround carved, either in wood or iron, in flowery designs, a periwinkle for loge, something borrowed, something blue. A kettle singing on the hob, life much slower, communities as one family, wicker work, pleasant to the eye and touch. Flower arranging a favourite pastime. They let the waft of the countryside enter the house, and the thrill of the birdsong. Because of the closeness to family life cottage gardens gave breath after breath of springtime, the scent dizzying, the air filled with shining threads. To walk the fields, the grass studded with small flowers, violets, daisies. The trees send hazy shadows across the field. The strawberry tree, so enjoyable during its growing time, but the dead leaves have a lovely scent. The air glitters with pollen, the sun kissed trees trembled with the sheer joy of living. Foxgloves, their pink banners in the sunshine, the fragrance of brambles turned up in the taste of blackberry jam. I'm thankful that I remember a part of it.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 30 of 36 posts

Page 2 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

White's Newsagents (Rudge Road and Warwick Row)
|

Next (newer) topic

New House, Radford or Keresley
You are viewing topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2019

Load time: 112ms