No actionNo action
81 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
76 of 81  Sun 12th Nov 2017 4:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2511

Helen. Yes, thanks from me also. I heard it was from all the huge rats that plagued the battlefields when the fighting stopped. I remember having to sleep for a week on a railway platform because of bubonic plague, caused by rats.
World War I - the 'Great War'
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
77 of 81  Wed 5th Dec 2018 11:07am  

Almost 90 years ago my brother and sister and I had been putting up Xmas decorations when dad said, "On a Christmas Day a German in the trenches started to sing a Christmas carol. Everything stopped to hear this beautiful voice across no-mans land. When he had finished, clapping and cheering erupted from both lines of trenches, then he began another carol and a British voice joined him different language but the same carol. Near the end German soldiers joined in, followed by the British. The carols rolled over no-mans land and the whole countryside. The carols went on for a long time." Dad was remembering and tears streamed down his face - we hugged and kissed him. Yesterday on Facebook, a bunch of singers in uniform sang the story, only they left out the Germans singing and changed the words to tell the story, but nowhere near the emotion as when I first heard the story. ps - I believe I posted this about two years ago, but have no idea in what topic I placed it.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
78 of 81  Thu 6th Dec 2018 5:11pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:842

Yes Kaga, the carol was 'Silent Night' (in German) 'Stille Nacht!' They crossed into No Man's Land and kicked a football around. A temporary 'Armistice' for one day only.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
79 of 81  Fri 7th Dec 2018 9:31am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3201

Kaga, Prof. Not forgetting the movie either.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
80 of 81  Fri 7th Dec 2018 11:04am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1327

We used to have a neighbour who served in the First World War. We knew he had written down his experiences. When he died my mum found them put out by whoever cleared the house for the dustman, so she “rescued” them. She eventually passed them on to a well known author of WWI books who passed them to another. For a long time we did not know what had happened to them, the theory was that they were going to passed to the Imperial War Museum. Last year my daughter made an effort to track them down and a few months ago she tracked them down with the author who still has them. He is out of the country at the moment and they are in storage. He has agreed that we can have them back. When we do I shall attempt to transcribe them (9 hard back exercise books) and then we intend to give them to the Military Museum in Warwick. I am sure he mentions playing football with the Germans!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
81 of 81  Fri 7th Dec 2018 12:07pm  

Yes I mentioned the football match in my old post. This was a well known story before the war ended. My father brought home a German army issue belt, that he wore almost every day until he died. There is a great book called 'Drawing fire' by Len Smith, an Illustrator and sketch artist, a soldier who came through the Great War in the trenches. 'Lawrence of Arabia', WWI soldier in the desert. 'Too close to the sun' by Denys Finch Hatton, WWI soldier in East Africa (inspiration for Forester's 'African Queen'). 'Witness to War' by Richard Aldrich that I have also, diaries of WWII.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 81 of 81 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Owen Owen
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Trams