Next pageNo action
29 posts:
Order:    

InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
1 of 29  Sat 6th Apr 2013 5:48pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:126

I have been asked to identify a location. The 3 attached pictures are of the same place on the same day. 1. In Pic1, just visible but quite distinct on the left, is a Daimler CVD6 single decker. These were all delivered in 1949, so the date cannot of been before 1949. 2. Everyone is dressed quite formally. One of the ladies is wearing a twin set and the other two are wearing a dress and coat and a dress and suit jacket. All of the men are wearing suits; three are wearing three piece suits and ties and the other a two piece suit with a button hole. It looks like a formal occasion, possibly a wedding. 3. The car behind them in all three pictures is a large limousine, possibly a pre-war Rolls Royce. 4. In Pic3, there is a pre-war car, probably a Humber and a Velocette motorcycle with a fish-tail exhaust, probably post war. 5. The ground slopes quite distinctly down from left to right and up away from the camera. 6. The building with the writing on the roof appears to be either a hotel or adjoining one, with a coaching entrance just behind the car. 7. In the street in front of the hotel, there are several mature trees, possibly plane trees of the type found in central Coventry in the immediately post-war years. 8. The building at the far end of the yard is a nineteenth century building of the type found in the area of The Quadrant and Union Street. 9. The location is certainly not in the vicinity of Harnall Lane. It looks familiar, but I can't place it. It appears that vehicles circulated through the yard to turn round. The Daimler single decker should give a clue, because they were used principally on the Berkswell route and less often on the Earlsdon route. Pic1 Pic1 Pic2 Pic2 Pic3 Pic3 With kind regards Laurence
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 29  Sat 6th Apr 2013 6:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5604

Hello Laurence The wording on the roof looks like "S J Grove" and a look around brings up Avon Bridge Tea Rooms (S J Grove) in Evesham Avon House in Evesham looks quite like the large building Maybe wrong but perhaps worth a look Oh my
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
3 of 29  Sat 6th Apr 2013 8:05pm  

So, the CVD6 single decker could have been hired for an outing. They were furnished rather like coaches to take advantage of Coventry Corporation's license to operate private hire.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
4 of 29  Sat 6th Apr 2013 8:22pm  

I've had a look at Evesham. I worked in Evesham for several years and it does not seem right. I have a recollection of this location in Coventry, but can't remember where. It looks like a bomb site after the war and the building at the far end of the yard is part of a row of buildings. Also, the trees appear to be formal street trees. From the shadows, we are looking West(ish), possibly from the rear of premises in Union Street, but who knows?
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
5 of 29  Sun 7th Apr 2013 3:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1834

I think Midland Red might be right. This is a picture off Google maps of 32 Bridge Street Evesham. I am pretty sure it is the building in the background. Google doesn't let you go round the back! There is a tea room behind this, although it looks completely different it looks to be on the same alignment.
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 29  Sun 7th Apr 2013 4:31pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5604

And there's this link to the name on the roof, S J Grove Oh my
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
7 of 29  Sun 7th Apr 2013 4:49pm  

Looks as if they spent a bit of money on it after the pictures on here were taken Cheers
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
8 of 29  Mon 8th Apr 2013 10:03am  

Thanks Midland Red I've already had a look at this, but there are some problems with it. First, if you look at the shadows on the pictures I submitted, the sun would have to be in the west. Secondly, what is a Coventry Corporation CVD6 single-decker doing there. It was not parked because it is only in one shot. Thirdly, there is no adjoining building as shown on the left of my pictures. The building in Bridge Street is far grander and stands on its own. I know it well, we visit Evesham regularly, living only ten miles away and I worked there for a few years around 1970. If it were Bridge street, the photo would have been taken from the tea gardens. The buildings on the right would have been on the river bank. Also there never have been any trees in front of the building. HOWEVER There were buildings on the other side of the bridge, opposite Waterside, that have long since been demolished and replaced with twee houses. If the picture were taken from behind them, the sun would have been in the east which would be very early in the morning, but the trees would fit. So it may have been an excursion from Coventry. We know for certain that the photos were taken between 1949 and 1952. I'm a bit bemused by the Rolls Royce. The back of the Northwick hotel is a better fit with the sun, but I'm not sure about the buildings.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 29  Mon 8th Apr 2013 10:40am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:252

The bus in the first photo can be seen because the camera was panned further to the left than in the following two pictures, so it could have been parked. If you look at the heap of rubble and notice where the left edge of the picture comes you will see what I'm on about. Les
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
10 of 29  Mon 8th Apr 2013 12:25pm  

Good point, LesMac. I can see the shadow of the bus in Pic 2. I'll have a look round the back of Bridge Street next time I'm in Evesham. The original car park would have been where the current shopping centre and car park are today, but it would have been late afternoon from the sun angle and the shadows don't appear to be long enough. The building is now a bar/restaurant. It is mis-labelled in Google Maps as Avon House, but Avon House is a listed building in Hampton, further down the river.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
11 of 29  Mon 8th Apr 2013 1:57pm  

This is a link to Britain from above. You can see the curved building behind the White House in 1928.
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
12 of 29  Mon 8th Apr 2013 6:22pm  

Thanks for that Annewiggy I should be able to go to Evesham again in a week or two, so I will make a point of going round the back and looking at the building. I am not convinced that this is the correct building, but it does seem likely that Evesham was the location. I will put that to the original enquirer about the pictures.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
13 of 29  Tue 9th Apr 2013 7:46pm  

I have been in touch with the original inquirer. It is possible that this was a Singer works outing from Coventry and would have been in the years 1949/50/51/52. That would explain the Coventry Corporation single-decker. They were intended to boost Coventry's ability to use its buses for private hire. In that case, it must have been an outing to Evesham. Apparently, S J Grove's tea rooms burned down and so the present building may be a reconstruction that differs in detail from the original. Also, the building on the right of the pictures, with the writing on the roof, would have disappeared with the construction of the current housing on the site. But I will go and have a look anyway. Does anyone have any information about the Singer works outings around that period? I am still mystified by the Sunday-best clothes and the Rolls Royce.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 29  Thu 18th Apr 2013 6:12pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:1932

Where am I? Here is one angle, the other is below
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 29  Thu 18th Apr 2013 10:25pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:334

A canal with locks and buildings next to it. Could it be Hatton top locks, opened 1799?
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Where is this (non-Cov)?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Royal Munster Fusiliers in Pool Meadow
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Buskers