No actionNo action
87 posts:
Order:    

dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
76 of 87  Mon 13th May 2019 11:01pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:210

Hi all, We've just returned from a lovely 5 days over the weekend to your city. There's been a lot going on and the weather's been lovely. We stayed at the Premier Inn as I've said, 9th to 13th May, £113, parking next door £13.50 for 7 days + travelled round by bus, free. Thumbs up Can't be bad. Next one August.
Memories and Nostalgia - Visiting Coventry
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
77 of 87  Tue 14th May 2019 9:54am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:414

Hi Dougie, which Premier Inn, and how long ago did you book the room?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
78 of 87  Tue 14th May 2019 10:24am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2201

Hi Dougie - let us know when you are next here in August and we'll have that Cheers in the Town Wall Tavern Big grin
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
79 of 87  Tue 14th May 2019 12:31pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:246

Always good to see someone enjoying their visit to Coventry and planning for future visits. However, if the Clean Air Charging Zone had already been invoked, and if your car was not compliant then there would have been an extra £12.50 a day to add to the bill. This may be enough to put off people from stopping in the city centre and will give more business to the out of town and out of Coventry hotels.
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
80 of 87  Tue 14th May 2019 7:19pm  

Wearethemods Smile I booked these in February as I married a girl from Coventry and we go down 3/4 times a year. We stayed in the Belgrade Premier Inn. By the way it's the first time I've ever paid for overnight parking in Coventry and it may be the last, it was only because we took friends with us this time that I used the carpark and paid Big grin Wink Neil, I almost called in on Saturday night as we were back at the Premier Inn by 9pm as we had been out for a meal with the family
dougie
81 of 87  Tue 14th May 2019 7:42pm  
Off-topic / chat  

AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
82 of 87  Thu 16th May 2019 4:34pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:437

I believe the studs on the edge are there to deter skateboarders from using them for tricks. They do also however create a 'personal space' if you choose to sit there
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
83 of 87  Thu 16th May 2019 4:50pm  

Thumbs up Your 100% right Smile but I didn't know about the skateboarders as they do a lot of damage to the edge of the walls, that's the main thing they are for
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
84 of 87  Wed 21st Aug 2019 8:49pm  

For all the people living outside Coventry we had another lovely 5 days in the city centre last weekend for only £133 plus £13.50 for 7 day parking pass. I post this on here in case anyone thinks it costs the earth to stay in the city centre.
Gilly
Melbourne Australia
All posts by this member
85 of 87  Fri 23rd Aug 2019 1:07am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:178

Thanks Dougie. It's always good to know and I very much appreciate your info as I'm sure do other 'out of towners'. Hope you enjoyed your time in Coventry. Gilly Wave
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
86 of 87  Sat 24th Aug 2019 12:11pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1539

Prices might be a bit higher as the students start/go back and the science festival from the 10th-the 13th.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
87 of 87  Sun 25th Aug 2019 4:39pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1080

On 2nd Aug 2017 9:27pm, Roger T said: I visited my friends in Coventry yesterday and as usual we mull over old times - Coventry and the things we got up to. The conversation then drifted on to what were the attractions on the stalls and we all immediately said "Home decorating". I don`t know if every front door had to be wood grained after the war, but there used to be a chap on the market demonstrating in front of a small crowd. He had a flat block of wood in front of him, on which he painted some brown scumble (he called it) then he applied a tool that was like a block of wood shaped rounded, like an old fashioned ink blotter. He pushed it up and down the block oscillating it as he went and lo and behold a wood grain finish appeared. The talk then turned to the perils of redecorating living room walls just after the war - no wallpaper available, so some went for a stipple finish which used to imprint the shape and colour of flower foliage in stripes up and down the wall. Does anybody remember those days of make-do and mend.
Yes Roger T, our front room in Wyver Crescent had the stippled effect obtained with a sponge and a coloured wash when wallpaper was not available. It was make do and mend during war-time and after. Edited by member, 25th Aug 2019 4:40 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 87 of 87 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

IRA Broadgate Bomb 1939
|

Next (newer) topic

Spicerstoke (inc Trinity Lane)