No actionNo action
7 posts:
Order:    

xcovkid
australia
All posts by this member
1 of 7  Sun 5th May 2013 9:32pm  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:10

Hi all, I worked in Wimbush's bakery in the Precinct in the late 60's. I lived in Poet's Corner until I was married then moved into John Fox House, one of the first tenants, went to Ravensdale Road school then Briton Road but attended the Annex on [I think] Ansty Road. We came to Australia in 1972 with our twin daughters and hope to visit Coventry next year, that will be a very nostalgic trip I think! Anyone remember Cooksons warehouse? My first job at 15 was there, they had a shop on Ball Hill and one near the circular cafe where I worked for 18 months then I went to the GEC in Helen Street, I think I have that right, long time ago. All the best. Starling
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 7  Mon 6th May 2013 9:52am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4128

Hello & welcome Xcovkid to our forum. Wave We hope that you will enjoy your time with us, along with our long-time members from your side of the globe. Wave Thumbs up
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 7  Mon 6th May 2013 7:18pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1404

Hello xcovkid - and what a small world! I currently live in Poet's Corner and our children both attended Ravensdale until about 3 to 4 years ago.... I went to Briton Road school also, and worked for 16 years at the Helen Street branch of the GEC, although by the time I was there in 1990 it had become GPT, then Marconi a few years later. I hope you'll enjoy your time on this forum, you'll have a lot in common with several others - and some members will probably be able to share memories of Ball Hill, too. Thumbs up All the best, Rob
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 7  Mon 6th May 2013 10:15pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:171

Hello xckiA! Whereabouts was Wimbush in the Precinct? I worked in Timpson's shoes in 1969, for a short while, then Macfisheries from 1970-72. Wave
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
xcovkid
australia
All posts by this member
5 of 7  Tue 7th May 2013 1:12am  

Hi woodford, how to explain where Wimbush's was? It was next but one to Ferdy Maine mens clothes shop (could have mis-spelt that name) My husband too worked there (although I didn't know it at the time) and opposite there was a butchers, I walked to work from Pool Meadow, you'd think it would be indelibly printed on my brain but brain is getting a bit old! If my husband's memories are clearer I will update. Cheers J
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
xcovkid
australia
All posts by this member
6 of 7  Tue 7th May 2013 1:20am  

Hi Rob, I am so looking forward to coming back to Coventry next year, I can't wait to visit the places I knew back then, I know there must have been many changes. I remember watching the Forum cinema being demolished and walking along Walsgrave Road to the shops, are there still horse chestnut trees, I must have collected a million conkers! I worked for a time at the bakery on the corner, Moores I think, and the day it snowed so much the traffic came to a halt. Cheers J
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 7  Tue 7th May 2013 7:29pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1404

On 7th May 2013 1:20am, xcovkid said: ....are there still horse chestnut trees, I must have collected a million conkers!
It's good to report that those trees are still there - I used to stop on my way home from work sometimes to collect a pocketful of conkers for our two children. Shame the game hasn't been so popular in recent times though - probably health & safety getting over-zealous as usual !
Ex-Cov Kid in Australia

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Gough's butchers
|

Next (newer) topic

Holy Trinity/St Peters district
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category