No actionNo action
326 posts:
Order:    

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
316 of 326  Mon 13th Aug 2018 5:56pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:844

My maternal grandparents came to Coventry from Grantham in 1906 and the first house they had was 10 Ranby Road, near enough to Highfield Road for my granddad. They moved to St Michael's Road, and in the 20's bought a new house in Binley Road, opposite the Rectory. Edited by member, 13th Aug 2018 6:00 pm
News, Media and Current Affairs - Hillfields
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
317 of 326  Mon 24th Sep 2018 8:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4110

Hi all Wave Hillfields in pictures.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
318 of 326  Tue 25th Sep 2018 1:48pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3205

Thank you for posting the pictures Philip. I can't help but feel sad seeing all those peoples homes demolished and then the new high rises. I wonder if those same people are any happier where they live now. Was it all for the good do you think. We are so fortunate for the homes we live in and not been compelled to make such a move. Roll eyes
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
319 of 326  Thu 1st Nov 2018 5:40pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:844

Michelle Goodlad
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
320 of 326  Fri 2nd Nov 2018 10:16am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1392

One of our members has been brave enough to add some of his memories of early times in Hillfields to the Historic Coventry "Your memories" section, which you can read here.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
321 of 326  Fri 2nd Nov 2018 10:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5111

This postcard view may be of interest to the author, as it shows the red-brick building and clock tower to which he refers Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
322 of 326  Fri 2nd Nov 2018 11:24am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5111

Looks like the pub referred to in the article was called The Crown Hotel (source, Real Ale Rambles) Thumbs up
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
323 of 326  Tue 13th Nov 2018 9:33am  

The member who posted his "Hillfields memories" (Waltons) is having a bit of computer trouble at the moment, but he's asked me to give a big thank you to everyone who's helped, particularly Midland Red, Philip and Prof. Thumbs up
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
324 of 326  Tue 13th Nov 2018 11:13am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

Hi Jerry, this one for you. Not a very good shot but a recent view of Canterbury St looking down to Raglan St. St Peters to the right and the white building just showing by the trees further down on the right is the only building still original along with a few houses on the left. Smile Edited by member, 13th Nov 2018 11:16 am
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
325 of 326  Wed 14th Nov 2018 5:20pm  

A message from Waltons for everyone.... Hi Members All! This is to thank Mid Red, Prof, Philip and anyone else commenting on my Canterbury Street "Clock Pub". Looking at that edifice photo of pub and fading street detail, l imagine my No 13 is one of those still in view down the street. Thanks Mid Red, l think this was yours. My Thanks to Prof! I believe the sepia coloured picture of "The Clock" was your input, it looks the oldest of the two, especially if the fellow outside the pub on the left of the picture is wearing "knickerbockers" or is he wearing cycle clips? l recognise the slight angle of the Primrose Hill and Victoria Street/Vine Street junction where the photographer, plate camera and black cloth would have been positioned. As an adjunct re the Vine Street/ Primrose Hill junction. Anyone remember the name of the fishing tackle shop on Vine Street corner? My earliest memory was of the fish trophies in the windows and the big carp lazing in the mill overflow into the Swanswell, viewed regularly from my pushchair. There was one more photo taken under miserable conditions, misty, dull, etc. an over the roof shot l think, taken from some high-rise which picked up, l suppose, what remains of one of the old back yards with outside wash house. Strangely, the church and towerof St Peters in Charles Street, where l was christened, was relatively clear amongst its trees. My paternal gran cleaned up after services before, during and after the war, until she passed in 1950. The crypt was the air raid shelter during the bombings for her and others around. Lastly l think it was Philip, with the Old Cov Buildings thread. I tried to connect but was not too impressed with the almost immediate security warnings every time l opened! l came across the same thread previously whilst browsing with the same warnings. Thanks anyway for your input. Thanks to Rob for your unfailing help in sorting my contact problems. Waltons
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
326 of 326  Thu 15th Nov 2018 4:57pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

Never seen this one before. The Canterbury Arms - Hillfields through the ages A walk from Hillfieldshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXHuJ8sdE4 It shows the remaining houses and the white building. Edited by member, 16th Nov 2018 1:31 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 316 to 326 of 326 posts

Page 22 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Astronomy & Outer Space
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state