No actionNo action
99 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
91 of 99  Tue 20th Sep 2016 1:22pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:457

My main problem with going to school was it stopped me doing the interesting things I wanted to do and had to learn the names of the areas of China instead (although that might now be useful). I actually enjoyed most subjects (except languages) but would always have rather been doing something else.
School Holidays memories
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
92 of 99  Tue 20th Sep 2016 2:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:369

Dear OL, I was the exact opposite to you: generally, I hated most subjects, except languages, at which I excelled whilst putting in next to no effort. I just found languages very easy. I wasn't motivated to waste my time doing something I thought was pointless or boring. Like you, however, I wanted to be elsewhere (home) doing something more useful or interesting, like building something, digging an underground den, making a tree den, riding bicycles dangerously (being a menace to the public), climbing trees, falling out of them and breaking your arm, all the normal things boys do. What do the youngsters of today do? Sit in their bedrooms playing silly computer games (i.e. living in a fantasy world), or on social media sites, or glued to their "smart" phones. Call that an upbringing? Roll eyes
School Holidays memories
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
93 of 99  Fri 25th Aug 2017 6:11pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3833

Hi all Wave HELP WITH SUMS. I am not sure which category to post this in but this will do for the time being. It will soon be back to school time, shoes polished, maybe a new lovely uniform or whatever, as I can hear many parents echoing out "hoorah", until little Harry or Sarah comes home with their maths homework. Maths Homework Link In trying to help a neighbour with some basic sums stuff, I have dropped on the above link, which is not only a gem for reminding me, but also an easy step by step instruction for a variety of likely homework. It's the best site that I have come across so far, it's free & easy to use. So as an example, please express 19.2% as a vulgar fraction, which was one of the questions that I helped with. Most I am sure can solve & simplify, but try explaining what we have done. This site makes that so much easier, I hope you will find. Big grin
School Holidays memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
94 of 99  Mon 28th Aug 2017 2:38pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1800

The most remembered school holiday for me was Empire Day, a party at school with flags, bunting, paper hats, cakes, sweets, small sandwiches, all brought in by the mothers, donkey rides, the colouring of maps with crayons, and a white cloth was thrown over the blackboard and someone showed photo slides of kangaroos and Australia, lumberjacks in Canada, orchards in South Africa. We kids couldn't believe our eyes, we knew little of the world in those days. In fact neither did the grown ups. But a most exciting day every year.
School Holidays memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
95 of 99  Mon 28th Aug 2017 6:44pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2863

Kaga, Do you remember why the 24th of May was called Empire Day, I know but do you? Not celebrated now I believe.
School Holidays memories
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
96 of 99  Mon 28th Aug 2017 9:00pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
97 of 99  Tue 29th Aug 2017 4:54am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
98 of 99  Tue 29th Aug 2017 7:54am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1800

Dreamtime, yes I do know, and I believe it changed to Commonwealth Day in the late fifties
School Holidays memories
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
99 of 99  Sun 10th Sep 2017 1:48pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:138

Loved school, Caludon Castle, 1955 til 1959. Didn't learn a lot, had lots of fun and made lots of friends. Was not their fault that I did not learn a lot, completely mine. Was not ready for learning at that stage of my life. Fortunately for me, after 15 months at E. Laxon & Co., a brilliantly happy time, 1959 til October 1960. On 1st November 1960, joined the Royal Navy, to this day I do not know why!!! Got the best education & training available to man, and paid whilst I was trained. 11 and a bit years in the RN, then a lifetime of full employment, in civvy street, working on industrial boilers and associated similar equipment. Back to summer holidays, living in Sewall Highway, at a time when behind the houses across the road were fields for what seemed forever. We just played out all day. Football, cricket, building dens, lighting fires, baking potatoes (pinched from home) on our fires. Life was just awesome, just fun, friendship and happiness. What more could one ask. We were not far from the Devon. Recently seen a play at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival about a football team from Darwen, in Lancashire, playing football in the 1850's. Reminded me of a time in our youth when many evenings there would be an adhoc but quite serious game of football on a field just near the back of the Devon. Played by bigger kids, we would always go along and watch. No referee required, just good spirit and sportsmanship. Happy happy days. B
School Holidays memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 99 of 99 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

What would attract visitors to our city long term?
|

Next (newer) topic

Spicerstoke (between Butcher Row & Trinity Lane)
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 59ms)