Next pageLast page
99 posts:
Order:    

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
1 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:929

Just wondered, when you were young, what memories you all have of the long summer holidays, they seemed to go on forever and I always remember them as scorching hot. Municipal playgrounds seemed to be a big thing as they had all the swings and stuff to play on and peering over to the ladies and gents on the bowling green and thinking how boring it looked! I did have my 'stilts' and roller skates, dads used to knock a pair of stilts up, funny to think of now but quite normal then! When I had exhausted myself on the stilts, there was always an Enid Blyton mystery to solve and one of those iced 'Jubblies' that stuck to your mouth! Also, there always seemed to be thunderstorms that made the earth smell lovely. The old ladies had those stripey canvas door screens and the front doors left open behind them, most of the older folk had them down our street. Fly papers were in all the kitchens, which intrigued me. More insects about then, those magic dragonflies seemed enormous and those flying ant storms were more common. You knew it was coming to an end when you had to go to the outfitters for the new school kit Sad
School Holidays memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 6:04pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2863

Summer holidays meant free to play where ever we wanted, ice creams, a week with a favourite Aunt, always had a holiday away, never cared about any rain, didn't even think about Christmas as they do now, and yes Foxcote the days did seem longer and sunnier, concerts in the shed, and if we dared, postman's knock! Thumbs up
School Holidays memories
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 6:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3833

Hello Foxcote, Wave You have picked the right time of the year to ask this too. Not only because this years hols have not yet started here in Coventry, but also the warm weather which adds the atmosphere to our memories. Oh & yes, the dreaded "back to school signs" in the outfitters shop windows. I say that, but for most part, I liked school in the sense that is was life as normal. Back to hols though, so much of your post has jingled memories for me & Pam. It only needed one to be seen out on roller skates & soon the pavements were alive with them. I have only lived in two houses, both east facing, so we never had the pink 'humbug' sun screens. Most houses on the opposite side of Sewall Highway had them. I bet that both of our thoughts are not ten miles apart, as I have just asked my grandchildren what they are up to this evening, even before I read your post. The long holidays came to an end really for me at age fourteen to fifteen, as I had a school holiday job at the GEC in the stores, as well as a Saturday job at Lillie's Green Grocery in Primrose Hill St. Only 4 hours a day at first, but I really enjoyed them. I felt more grown up than I do now. I kept both until I started with Courtaulds. Back to the hols theme though, & being such an odd-bod, train-spotting had really taken a hold from age ten. Happy days, hey! ps. Your local line was blocked with a broken-down freight train this morning at Hatton. Only the Cross-Country services through Coventry were running for a while.
School Holidays memories
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
4 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 6:51pm  

The roller skates, it's come to me, they were called 'Jacko's'! Thanks to Dreamtime and Philip for sharing their memories. The lure of the laptops has taken its toll on outside games, the children don't seem to play in groups so much as in the old days.
School Holidays memories
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
5 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 7:47pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:366

Summer school holidays in the 1960's for me meant playing out in Grenville Avenue until it got dark. I think the favourite game we played was 'rally 1-2-3' which involved hiding and getting back to base ahead of the nominated pursuer. Stoke Green was also a favourite spot, back in the days when it still had a paddling pool and sometimes an ice-cream van! I too remember spending pocket money on 'Jubblies' and also a cherry flavoured version called 'Jungle Juice'. We always went away on holiday to Cornwall for the first two weeks in August. My father didn't seem to have much more holiday during the year apart from Bank Holidays. It was a ten hour journey to Cornwall back in those days, but the feeling of arriving in what felt like another land made the travelling worthwhile. Back in those days families didn't seem to go away on holiday at other times of the year, just the customary two weeks in July/August. School came round again all too quickly, but at least by attending KHVIII I usually had at least ten days longer holiday than most of my pals! Big grin
School Holidays memories
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 8:41pm  

Yes, Foxcote, Thumbs up I am sure the manufacturer was called "Jaco", without a K, they had full ball-bearings throughout. Hi Beesman Wave I bet you remember the traffic queues at Honiton, where the old A303 joined the A30! or did you travel the A38, Bristol Exeter & Plymouth way?
School Holidays memories
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
7 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 8:55pm  

Yes, red leather, a long time since I saw a pair of thoseThumbs up I think I wore a couple of pairs out but then I recall a new fad with giant springs on the bottom, two springs on each and you sprung about Roll eyes They were more fun than stilts but not as versatile as the Jacko's.
School Holidays memories
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
8 of 99  Fri 12th Jul 2013 9:00pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:366

Hi Philip Wave We travelled down through Stow-on-the-Wold, Malmesbury, Cirencester, Melksham, Frome, Shepton Mallet, Street, Tiverton, Crediton, Hatherleigh, Holsworthy, Stratton, Camelford, Wadebridge, Padstow!!! Not sure if that's the correct order, but isn't it amazing what you can remember after so many years!!! My father always obtained a route from the AA which basically avoided Bristol, Taunton, Exeter and Okehampton. We seemed to travel a fair bit on the Fosse and the A361. Regards, Beesman. Thumbs up
School Holidays memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 2:49am  

Morning everyone, Are there many skateboards whizzing around your areas, not so sure about where you are Foxcote. Apparently it looks like the first mode of transport in these parts before reaching the 'driving school' age. You can be walking along to fetch the paper and whizz there they go and then they pass you on the way back. No fatalities though. I do believe the juvenile crime rate rises though which is a sure sign the little darlings are on holiday. Roll eyes Wave
School Holidays memories
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 7:56am  

On 12th Jul 2013 9:00pm, Beesman said: We travelled down through Stow-on-the-Wold, Malmesbury, Cirencester, Melksham, Frome, Shepton Mallet, Street, Tiverton, Crediton, Hatherleigh, Holsworthy, Stratton, Camelford, Wadebridge, Padstow!!!
Hi Beesman, Wave When my parents lived in Bodmin, I did travel the North Cornwall route as I called it a few times, but like you, nearly always the Fosse until Bath.
School Holidays memories
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 9:32am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:828

That smell you get when dry Earth is rained on is called 'Petrichor', and it's a byproduct of bacteria in the soil and oils from plants - the rain triggers its release. The name is derived from the name of fluid that runs through the veins of Greek gods.
School Holidays memories
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
12 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 11:20am  

Thanks for that information, flapdoodle. I shall think of those Greek gods when I next have the pleasure of experiencing that 'Petrichor Fragrance' Thumbs up
School Holidays memories
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
13 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 11:31am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

On 12th Jul 2013 7:47pm, Beesman said: Summer school holidays in the 1960's for me meant playing out in Grenville Avenue until it got dark.....
Unfortunately my father hated going on holiday. The most we ever managed, mostly because of my mother and I mithering, was the odd week in a caravan in Dorset. He only agreed to that because one of his workmates owned the caravan! Wink I remember most of the long school holidays were spent at the various cycle speedway tracks around Coventry, a group of us spending long afternoons racing each other. The favourite venue was Brandon where there was an excellent track in the woods behind the speedway, and there were others at Whitley, Hearsall Common and somewhere in Foleshill. I'm sure Beesman was around too. Like Beesman, I had longer holidays than the kids at the comprehensives. I'm sure he will remember our Subbuteo tournaments during those holidays! Thumbs up
School Holidays memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 12:01pm  

Hi MrD-Di. Funny that, the lads were always hanging around on their bikes in threes or fours and then belting off somewhere. It was Youth Club night at the Baptist hall in Moseley Ave. on Friday nights and there was always a few bikes out the front I can only remember walking there and there was a park and tennis courts off Moseley Ave. in those days. Must have covered a few miles on foot then. Wave
School Holidays memories
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
15 of 99  Sat 13th Jul 2013 3:23pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:589

At the start of the summer holidays, my pride and joy was to be bought a brand new pair of "blue baseball boots". After wearing shoes every day for the rest of the year, these were as light as a feather and supple. With these boots on you would be off, from Lower Ford St I would walk to Coombe Woods and then on to Brandon Woods, then back home for tea time. Clean as a new pin when I left but filthy dirty by the time I got home, mainly covered in green from climbing the trees. Other walks would be to Tile Hill Wood or Canley, never thought anything of walking the distances, time just flew. Playing hopscotch with the pavement as the board, swinging on a rope tied to the arm on the gaslamp, which no one took down, tig and its variations, ie, off ground tig, football in the street with no cars around. War games with bits of wood as guns, finding an old pram with its wheels intact then pushing all the way home hoping you were not mugged by some older children who would take it as their prize. If it got home it would then be stripped and turned into a trolley. Use it down Devils Dungeon and smash it to bits, play in the Swanswell, fall in the Swanswell, scrumping, building dens, playing in the Sherbourne, falling in the Sherbourne, every time I went out I always got back filthy. Going on holiday to Pembroke Dock, where my dad was born, either by car or coach, at least 8hrs to get there by either. We came up in the best times, the things we all did then would now be classed as stealing, trespass or not obeying health and safety. At least we were street wise because we played in them and used them for walking every where instead of being driven around in a four by four. We fell off the roundabouts, the swings and slides with no rubber tiles to brace the fall, instead we had grazed knees with stones sticking out, lumps and bumps on our heads, but to be honest I was pleased to go back to school at the end of the holiday. To see my other mates but mostly because I was back into my shoes as I had worn my baseball boots out. Oh well, another pair next year. Wave
School Holidays memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 99 posts

Page 1 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

What would attract visitors to our city long term?
|

Next (newer) topic

Spicerstoke (between Butcher Row & Trinity Lane)
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 67ms)