No actionNo action
94 posts:
Order:    

walrus
cheshire
All posts by this member
91 of 94  Sun 21st Jul 2019 10:29am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:228

Re the Radford rec site, my gran lived in Tulliver Street in the 50s and 60s, and I spent countless hours playing on the rec. I can't recall any air raid shelters or even evidence that there might have been. The banking, which seemed a great deal steeper to a kid's eyes, was one of our favourite spots to die spectacularly after being shot by our pals. The even numbered houses in Tulliver Street were council houses and all had Anderson shelters. After the war most of the shelters were retained as garden sheds. During the 50s there was still much evidence of the war years. Under the stairs in gran’s house (the bogey hole) we had shell casings, some still had the projectile in place. The overhead picture of the rec clearly shows the outlines of foundations on the Lydgate Hill side though my Dad (95) has no memory of buildings there.
Wartime and the Blitz - Air Raid Shelters etc
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
92 of 94  Sun 21st Jul 2019 4:16pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1521

A list from a 1939 Coventry Telegraph, British Newspaper Archive with the number the shelter could accommodate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
93 of 94  Sun 21st Jul 2019 5:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5368

From the “Radford” thread:
On 28th Jul 2016 4:32pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Evidence of the past in aerial pictures in Radford. BBC History.
On 2nd May 2012 9:51am, Radford kid said: At first I did not think it was Radford Common, I was looking at it from the Radford Road, looking up the bank but now I think it is looking from the top of Radford Common towards the Radford Road. The tree line looks the same, but the photo is not that easy to make out the buildings on the other side of the road? I was born at number 404 Radford Road, 1945. The paddling pool did not last very long as the IQ zeros at the time dumped broken bottles and all sorts in (all in the name of fun). Based on what I can see I think it is Radford Common. Not sure if you know this but the hump or small rise on the common contains air raid shelters, as a kid we used to play in them I remember them being water logged, can you imagine how much fun that was for a small kid. We were not happy when they were filled in (still intact, not smashed but all complete). Nice to see one opened up again. That's all for now hope I have not bored you all. Colin Walton. Ps I think the shelters were filled in as part of the health scare about polio, lot of it about at that time and it was thought to be caused by foul water. Cheers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
94 of 94  Mon 22nd Jul 2019 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3006

I can't believe we have come back to this macabre topic - to me, like digging up granny’s grave, see if she is still there. Why? A surface shelter built for the council in Silver Street collapsed. The walls had blown down, creating a 'Morrison Sandwich' - about thirty people trapped inside. Rescue workers got a nurse to crawl through a small gap and hand them morphine to whoever could reach. No one was dead at the time. But police made the rescuers leave as there were two unexploded bombs close by. By the time the rescue workers resumed and reached them, only one old man was alive. Almost identical was another near the bottom of Hertford Street - the walls collapsed. Herbert Morrison visited on the Saturday, too soon for people to make comment.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 94 of 94 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry & Warwickshire in WWII
|

Next (newer) topic

Wartime mystery scene