No actionNo action
51 posts:
Order:    

belushi
coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 51  Wed 20th Jan 2021 1:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:167

Hi Neil. Frank was a member of the Belgrade Theatre Company back in 1958, so are we talking about this era? - link
Famous Coventry Visitors
lindatee2002
Virginia USA
All posts by this member
47 of 51  Wed 20th Jan 2021 1:40pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2015  Total posts:85

I saw Beryl Reid at the opening of a garage in Jubilee Crescent in the late 50's-early 60's. She arrived, looking very glam, in a huge American car, fins and all. Germaine Greer was one of my husband's professors at Warwick so we saw her all the time.
Famous Coventry Visitors
belushi
coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 51  Wed 20th Jan 2021 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:167

Back in 1972, when I was a student, I had a summer job at the Herbert Art Gallery. I was there to assist the Director of Art, basically a gofer, so he had more time to do his real job. At the time Danny La Rue was appearing in a summer season at the Coventry Theatre, and to coincide with this the Herbert had an exhibition of paintings by a local artist, all of which were portraits of Danny. The night before each new exhibition opened to the public there was a private opening, attended by local councillors and members of the Friends of the Herbert Gallery. Obviously Danny was invited, and the day before I was sent out to buy a bottle of Danny's favourite wine (according to his agent). The rest of us had to drink the normal cheap Yugoslav wine served at these occasions. Danny turned up in civvies rather than his stage uniform. He was very friendly and approachable, with the firmest handshake I've ever experienced. By the way, the Director of Art was Patrick Day, and during the month or so I worked at the Herbert he was the perfect boss.
Famous Coventry Visitors
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
49 of 51  Wed 20th Jan 2021 4:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2775

On 20th Jan 2021 1:27pm, belushi said: Hi Neil. Frank was a member of the Belgrade Theatre Company back in 1958, so are we talking about this era? - link
belushi. Many thanks for that and yes, that's around the period I was referring to. I need to go back and check where the shop was but as mentioned, Frank rented the room above and would often stop and chat with my grandparents on his way in and out - the rumour was they offered him many 'discounted' shop items! Big grin Would've loved to have asked him if he remembered them. Edited by member, 20th Jan 2021 4:01 pm
Famous Coventry Visitors
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
50 of 51  Tue 18th May 2021 9:40am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2775

Thanks to Mark Pemberton on FB, we had an image of Roy Orbison at Browns Lane collecting his E-Type, but never knew he'd also been to Canley! I know he was a big car-fan.
Famous Coventry Visitors
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
51 of 51  Tue 25th May 2021 9:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4821

Today, of course, we can add Charles and Camilla to the list - report
Famous Coventry Visitors

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 51 of 51 posts

Page 4 of 4