No actionNo action
143 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
136 of 143  Sun 16th Oct 2016 5:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

A few generations ago there was no city in the world that could match Coventry, with the most picturesque green belt of villages and hamlets, blacksmiths, streams and brooks, watermills, farmyards, and smithies working in their shirt sleeves. The air full of larks singing, women in little bay windows stitching pieces of coloured embroidery. It wasn't until 1926, the year before my birth, that Foleshill and about five other villages were swallowed up into its boundaries.The long low farm and its buildings looked across a meadow of buttercups, daisies and wild flowers to the Wyken pool known as the 'slough'. A solitary row of silver birch and poplar trees separated the pool and the quiet road, the hedgerows of wild blackthorn covered in snow white blossom in May, hid the old colliery workings, but did not quite hide the wisp of smoke that curled up from the two cottages in the dip. Hazel, catkins and willow littered the water's edge at the far end of the pool. All manner of wild birds sang sharply on the young twigs, the morning full of young growth. At the corner of the pool stood the fishing shed with its rods and tackle, under the trees, and a little landing stage, where the house-boat was moored. A swan ran across the stage, I stood motionless, frightened in its swift launch bursting the water, the smooth ripples spreading out from its motion. The pool was full of activity, birds piping one against the other, and water mysteriously splashing, issuing from the pool. Where the stream flowed into the pool, with reeds and flowery marsh of pink willow herb, yellow celandine showed out from hedge bottoms. I looked back, in the spring air the pool gleamed. But Foleshill was a very large parish, already it became the first tramway in the city, the first Co-op, the first tallest chimney, heaths, fields and trees, to be demolished for estates and houses.
Coventry Suburbs and Beyond - Foleshill
dutchman
137 of 143  Sun 16th Oct 2016 6:16pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
138 of 143  Mon 17th Oct 2016 5:27am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
139 of 143  Mon 17th Oct 2016 3:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

Covtom, Lythalls Lane was named after a farmer named Lythall, Windmill Road after the windmill near Foleshill water mill. Right round the north side of Coventry were beautiful large houses among fields and great parks of beauty, some with great herds of deer. Most men employed in agriculture, the women employed in weaving. But during the 1st war a great seam of coal was found under Keresley Green that kept it going through the strikes of 26. Neither was it swallowed up by Coventry in 26. But the collieries of Craven and Victoria of Sowe Common, closed, although mining in the area had been going on for a very long time, and so did the railway line from Deedmore Rd to Aldermans Green Rd close, and Foleshill came under Coventry in 26. But Little Heath had become Courtaulds before then and a second factory was being built, and the Heath vanished. Most of the pathways you have today were made by the colliers and the canal people of a long time ago. Livingstone silk mill was still there in Lockhurst Lane making silk pictures, when they opened the Livingstone swimming pool in 1936. Alfred Herberts had opened much earlier at Edgewick. In the middle of the 19th century George Eliot had a lovely house in Bird Grove, so named because of all the beautiful birds in the area. Yes, there's a great deal more about Foleshill, it has a great part in the history of Coventry.
covtom
Coventry
All posts by this member
140 of 143  Tue 25th Oct 2016 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:3

On 17th Oct 2016 3:06pm, Kaga simpson said: Alfred Herberts had opened much earlier at Edgewick.
Alfred Herbert's was the view from my bedroom window as a kid. We used to sneak under the chain fence at evenings and weekends to play in the black foundry sand. Who needs Wakiki Beach?
TD

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
141 of 143  Thu 19th Jan 2017 10:25am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:896

The George Wilson gas meter factory was on Livingstone Road. It was on the opposite side from the swimming baths and took up much of the street. It had a frontage on Foleshill Road too. It was actually split in two by the office where I worked, the Coventry City Council Weights & Measures Department, as Wilson's had the factory on one side and their offices on the other. I believe that the Weights & Measures offices and testing labs were once part of Wilsons too, many years before, but were bought by the council and became a state of the art weighing and measuring facility which housed an amazing array of standards and equipment.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
142 of 143  Thu 19th Jan 2017 10:33am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5082

They actually have their own thread here Thumbs up
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
143 of 143  Tue 22nd May 2018 9:55am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:534

I'm posting this as an addition to the Woodway Lane and Potters Green topic, it is more appropriate here. For anyone interested in reading about Foleshill and what the 1840 directory has to offer. Edited by member, 22nd May 2018 9:56 am

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 136 to 143 of 143 posts

Page 10 of 10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
|

Next (newer) topic

Keresley (incl. Keresley Castle)