No actionNo action
471 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
466 of 471  Tue 28th Nov 2017 1:14pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3865

Hi all Wave It's hardly surprising that I, or anyone that wants to be loyal to the progress of our city, should be so disappointed regards our council's management of our city. This stinks. Just in my area, Sad A new train station opens but trains cannot stop when most needed. A new high cost library is opened, replacing a low cost but adequate library, but the new "lardidar" library has to close because costs are too high. The current library is now housed in a hut, with not enough room to breathe, but is shut most of the time. If it was a panto it would be funny, but this is real that we in Coventry all have to live with or without. The council managment has been "dipstick" on so much I believe, so I am not surprised of Neils' concern that he has posted about the central pool. Sad
Sorry state
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
467 of 471  Tue 28th Nov 2017 3:27pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

I met a girl out walking On Donnington down It was ten in the morning five miles from town Her hair was pale brown She wore a blue gown Says I to her Raising my hat The morning is fine Say, she what of that The spring is a coming to Donnington hill The skylarks doth trill, my heart is a thrill As thus, my answer my hearts lovelorn Say's she you've been drinking so early this morn Says I to her, madam you do me a hurt The springs in my blood I hoped we might flirt Says she to me Then Sir I wish you good day There is dirt in the road And dirt in my way.
Sorry state
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
468 of 471  Tue 28th Nov 2017 4:49pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

A council paid £43,000 in compensation and legal fees after a child got a splinter from sitting on a park bench. Croydon Council made the big payout after the youngster got injured on a playground bench in one its parks in south London. The child needed surgery after the incident and the local authority paid out the whopping sum. The claim is one of 1,600 made against Croydon Council since 2014, and according figures obtained by the London Evening Standard, total £6million. The largest payout was £181,000 when someone tripped on a pavement which was damaged during council improvement works. The local authority also dished out £81,000 when a man jumped over gates of a car park because he thought they were locked - and broke his leg. The list of compensation and legal fees for the council and claimant which were included in the overall total for each case was released under the Freedom of Information Act. A spokeswoman for Croydon Council told the newspaper: 'Where appropriate the council will robustly defend claims against it. 'In this case (of the child's splinter) it was deemed by the court the claimant should receive damages of £2,760, and we abided by this decision.'
Sorry state
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
469 of 471  Wed 29th Nov 2017 8:47am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:383

Many decades ago, a certain man, who had seen active service in the war, and who was now retired, and who was known to most residents of the area, tripped on the edge of a paving slab and allegedly hurt himself. Of course the council was at fault, negligent because the slab was not quite level, etc. The CET carried a large photo (obviously short of real news) of the man, leaning on walking sticks on the area of pavement where the fall had allegedly taken place. The picture was obviously posed for. It was taken in broad daylight; no doubt hoping for the sympathy vote - the CET slated the council. I have no idea whether he successfully claimed against the council, but what the CET failed to mention, and which all we nearby residents had known for years, was that the man was a 7 days a week heavy boozer/alcoholic, and that the fall had taken place late at night, on his way back from the pub!
Sorry state
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
470 of 471  Wed 29th Nov 2017 8:52am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:383

On 28th Nov 2017 8:45am, Midland Red said:
On 28th Nov 2017 7:51am, Slim said: I seem to remember someone telling me there also used to be a café called the Gay Gannet in Coventry.
It was in the row of temporary shops on Broadgate, adjacent to the no.17 bus shelter Thumbs up
I was informed by a retired, well educated lady that the term as used today has no connection with the English word gay of yore. She insisted that it is an acronym for Good As You, and that it was used when coming out, as proponents had nothing to hide.
Sorry state
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
471 of 471  Wed 29th Nov 2017 11:24am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

Here in Brighton we have a gay parade, and they charge about £18 to walk in a shopping street that normally costs nothing.
Sorry state

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 466 to 471 of 471 posts

Page 32 of 32

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .. 28 29 30 31 32
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Telegraph
|

Next (newer) topic

Boxing and boxers
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 76ms)