No actionNo action
33 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
31 of 33  Thu 19th Sep 2019 1:25pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1579

It's not meant to be splitting hairs Kaga. You walked these streets and have a memory of what went where. I have to look at maps and try and imagine how far different places were away from each other and what features they contained. I once thought Little Park Street had a tree in the middle, but it turned out to be an ink blot! Spon End did have a tree outside the chapel and a row of them near the rail bridge. It isn't impossible that Silver Street had a tree in College Square. The arrival of Hales Street destroyed any feeling for where the Radford Brook ran in relation to Silver Street. The war and modern development has even destroyed any impression of what the old street looked like. You're retelling old, romantic tales. I'm trying to fit them to reality. Here's part of a very old picture that I think (but not sure) shows the school. See the trees dotted around that don't appear in later images or the maps? Edited by member, 19th Sep 2019 1:28 pm
Cook Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
32 of 33  Thu 19th Sep 2019 3:53pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3059

Helen F Now youv'e got me walking round the mill pond Lol I think the first time I saw the city centre, I must have been 3/4 years old. There was a number of old tumble down houses, and I heard that was New Buildings - imagine the years it took me to work that one out. Then we grew up pretty strict, I couldn't ride around the farm without wearing my coat, and yet a woman had ridden round the city without wearing clothes. You had birthday presents, yet you had a bath in your birthday suit. You had heard of Broadgate - when you got there there was no gate. You could get sent to Coventry without getting on the tram. All pretty confusing for a kid growing up in Coventry.
Cook Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
33 of 33  Thu 19th Sep 2019 6:07pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1579

Lol I know that you're not that old, but the scale of the buildings were more in keeping with when the pond existed. There were sightlines that are now blocked by newer often massive buildings. I haven't even walked from Silver Street to Cook Street.
Cook Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 33 of 33 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Ordinary Coventry people, but special to us
|

Next (newer) topic

Westwood Parish (incl. Land Ownership and Development)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2019

Load time: 105ms