No actionNo action
204 posts:
Order:    

Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
196 of 204  Sat 24th Mar 2018 3:46pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:163

Personal taste obviously but I always found fresh roe too coarse & bitty. I actually prefer the tinned stuff. Also loved 'Soft Roe' on toast but haven't had that for ages,
Industry, Business and Work - Fish and Chip shops
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
197 of 204  Sat 31st Mar 2018 4:43pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4174

Hi all Wave My favourite, hope you like.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
198 of 204  Mon 2nd Apr 2018 1:54pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3318

I certainly like. Thumbs up
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
199 of 204  Sat 29th Jun 2019 3:01pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:222

Hi all, 'The Spires' chip shop (and 'Café Delicia' next door) on Daventry Road, Cheylesmore closed for the last time yesterday. The shop opened in 1961. Here's an article in the Coventry Telegraph about the shop celebrating 50 years in business. Quite a shame that nearly 60 years of Cheylesmore history has gone. Thanks to Jason, his family & staff for all the years of serving the Cheylesmore community. Thumbs up
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
200 of 204  Sat 29th Jun 2019 4:27pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:224

Sorry to hear that GJS. I bought a fish and chip shop off an early owner of that shop. A Cypriot if I remember correctly. He was helpful to me.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
201 of 204  Sat 29th Jun 2019 7:36pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5371

Good shout, Luke - sad news as for many years it was our nearest fish and chip shop.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
202 of 204  Sun 30th Jun 2019 4:18am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3318

MR - Nobody should have to suffer where there is no Fish 'n' Chip shop. My sincere commiserations! Roll eyes
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
203 of 204  Sun 30th Jun 2019 10:27am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3012

The first 'Fishy Moore', nearly two centuries ago, walked around Coventry with a basket selling fish and shouting "Buy my 'stinking fish', come on, buy my 'stinking fish'. When his sons grew up they tried to change him, but to no avail. Don't you just love old Cov.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
204 of 204  Sat 10th Aug 2019 2:47pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:498

I received this recently in a newsletter. Wasn’t too sure where to put it as it about the Three Spires in Cheylesmore and the origins of Robinsons Crisps. Fish & Chip Shop Memories In last week’s update we stated that The Spires Fish & Chip shop had closed. A resident contacted us with this: Yes the Fish Bar opened in 1961 with the current owners in control. However the Wood Family operated between 1939 and 1961. I was privileged as a 9 year old to be one of the first through the doors and purchased a “penny worth of scratching” and have continued my custom with the shop until they closed last Friday. Pleasingly they then cooked me a bag of scratching but this time did not charge me. The Three Spires Fish Shop opened early 1939 under the ownership of Mr Woods and his son Gerry. The family lived in Franciscan Road. Operating until 1961. What became the Fish Restaurant began life as a Shoe and Shoe Repair shop owned by Mr Dean and his wife. They lived in Daventry Road towards The Mount. Mr Dean kindly displayed in 1948 the Sir John Cup proudly won by the Cheylesmore Youth Centre Football Team. The flat above the Fish Shop was used as a Sunday School venue which was run by a Salvation Army husband and wife who lived in Baronsfield Road. When Gerry Wood took over from his father in the 1940s he joined up with Mr Robinson to produce Robinsons Crisps with the Three Spires as the logo on the packet. The cooking was done using lard in those days and was carried out after the Fish Shop closed in the evening. The crisps were then sorted and packed in the front room of the Robinsons’ family home in Woodstock Road. With the success of Robinsons Crisps the family moved to Daventry Road by the Open Arms. However before they could sell the house in Woodstock Road the front room had to have a new wooden floor due to the existing one being saturated in lard. The daughter Carole has recently become the first Lady Master of the Coventry Freemans’ Guild.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 204 of 204 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Rover Cars and Motorcycles
|

Next (newer) topic

Jaguar Cars (inc. SS)