No actionNo action
594 posts:
Order:    

AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
586 of 594  Wed 19th Sep 2018 7:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:437

Lol Sorry for not replying Dreamtime - not logged on for a few weeks. I'm actually getting a few birds on the feeders again now - almost solely Goldfinches but I've seen a Blue Tit and Robin perching on the pole but not hanging about. Goldfinches perch on the phone line above it before swooping onto the feeders - I've seen half a dozen at one time but my neighbour said she counted 15 on the feeders/poles/phone line one morning. As it gets colder I'm hoping I might get a few other finch species as they tend to all flock together. There was a huge group of long tailed tits up the park a few weeks ago near the wildlife pond but they've not ventured to me as yet. I get the Starlings if I restock my suet cage but cos there's so many of them and they make a racket I only do that every week now in case it annoys the neighbours. Had a pair of collared doves the other day and a magpie occasionally tries its luck. The obligatory pigeon hoovers up underneath. Bizarrely the cats don't really seem to be paying attention to the birds. One ginger one has found a spot in my garden that's a windbreak and it curls up there but its not even paid attention to the feeders.
News, Media and Current Affairs - The view from my window
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
587 of 594  Wed 19th Sep 2018 7:06pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:437

I've also got a query about a caterpillar ID. I've googled it and not found a match. It's black, hairy and has two rows of white spots running down its body. It's roughly the size of your bog standard caterpillar (ie cabbage white) in length but a bit fatter, although it might just be because it was hairy. It was on my eucalyptus. I did take a photo on my phone but it's a very old one and the camera is really poor so you can't see it properly. I did go back to have another look but couldn't spot it.

Question

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
588 of 594  Thu 20th Sep 2018 8:48am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3317

That's quite alright AD, you mentioned the magpies, they are little devils here as it's 'swooping time' but just protecting their young up in the trees. However, they do pack a wallop at the back of your head and will persist if you don't run!!! As for the caterpillars they love eucalypts. Lay their families under the leaves in rows and when they are fat and juicy they drop, so don't look up. I have the nice big brown fluffy ones crawling out and taking short cuts across my paving for something greener. I let the puppy out and he has a play with them till they are no longer recognisable! Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
589 of 594  Tue 25th Sep 2018 8:37pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4167

Hi all Wave Whilst I was cheering my winner at Warwick races this afternoon, running in the 3.30, the name is a giveaway at 25/1, my Pam was watching this fox who was sunning itself in our garden.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
590 of 594  Wed 26th Sep 2018 1:33am  

Excellent, worth putting a frame round that one. Thumbs up
Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
591 of 594  Sun 3rd Feb 2019 2:06pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:102

Much as I love to watch this female Sparrow Hawk it grieves me to be losing my small bird population, but as the saying goes, Nature is red in tooth and claw.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
592 of 594  Mon 4th Feb 2019 3:45am  

Robthu, Mother Nature is in complete control once outside your door, but I think she makes up for it in many other ways. Thank you for showing us the close ups. Wave Edited by member, 4th Feb 2019 3:47 am
Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
593 of 594  Tue 5th Feb 2019 6:26pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:163

We had a grey wagtail visit this morning. First one we've had since 2014. A real pleasure.
Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
594 of 594  Thu 20th Jun 2019 8:12am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:128

Last night's sunset from my wife's apartment overlooking what was Elm Bank school, Parkside, with Christ Church spire to the right foreground and St Osburg just visible in the background.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 586 to 594 of 594 posts

Page 40 of 40

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 36 37 38 39 40
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hillfields
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry out and about