Next pageLast page
32 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 32  Wed 30th Apr 2014 5:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5602

I've often wondered if there is a definitive map which shows the recognised districts of Coventry and their boundaries - usually when trying to correctly allocate my photographs A job I've been meaning to do for some time was to copy my cinema photos into their relative location, whilst retaining a separate collection for the subject, and having just completed it, I've found myself scratching my head about where to place some of the cinemas Those I've pondered are the following, with the district/area I've plumped for, but I would like to know whether any of these are incorrect, and if such a definitive map is available Carlton, Stoney Stanton Road - Edgwick Dovedale, Longford Road - Longford Forum, Walsgrave Road/Longfellow Road - Stoke Redesdale, Foleshill Road - Bishopsgate Green Standard, Fletchamstead Highway - Tile Hill South

Question

Coventry districts
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
2 of 32  Wed 30th Apr 2014 8:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1103

I was looking at the internet copy of the Coventry Telegraph's property supplement earlier today and noted the confusion of areas in that. I don't know of any definitive map. The Coventry I knew as a youth is long gone. As a former resident of Canley I can give you how we regarded the surrounding areas. The Standard Cinema and back to the railway and as far west as what became Gravel Hill we regarded as Fletchamstead (with regard to Fletchamstead Hall and Fletchamstead Farm). The estate that included Gravel Hill was Tile Hill South, and the estate north of Tile Hill Lane as Tile Hill North. There was also Tile Hill Village of course. Canley we ragarded as starting at Canley Halt and Gates and its western boundary extending up Charter Avenue as far as to include all of Park Wood. Beyond the southern flank of Park Wood and Ten Shilling Wood was Westwood. Shultern Lane was within the Canley boundary and it would also include what is the Cannon Park Estate - partly built over where my grandfather used to live. I lived in Leam Green for a couple of years between leaving army and moving to London. Perhaps the best way to decide on areas is to go back to old maps.
Coventry districts
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
3 of 32  Wed 30th Apr 2014 11:05pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:473

There is no definitive district boundary map. Names have changed as the city has developed and expanded. The names most people use now are based on the destinations of the bus services. The only definite boundaries are postcode districts/sectors, electoral wards and parishes, which have all adapted over time. The post office even ignores district names in an address and uses the postal code. They are only significant if street names are duplicated in different districts. Old maps don't really help, for example see if you can recognise the places on this map.
Coventry districts
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
4 of 32  Thu 1st May 2014 10:34am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:260

I can recall looking at a well used map of Coventry about 40 years ago. Some things I got to know were that Courtaulds, Foleshill Rd was in GREAT HEATH, and British Celanese, Old Church Rd was in LITTLE HEATH. There was also PARTING OF THE HEATHS but I don't recall where exactly that was, maybe something to do with STOKE HEATH. Stoney Stanton Rd/Cross Rd was certainly EDGWICK, and FOLESHILL was where the fire station is and up towards the New Inn bridge. Many of the post war areas were easily remembered by housing estates - BELL GREEN, WOOD END, and HENLEY GREEN. I lived in what I thought was HOLBROOKS (CV6) but what was sometimes described as MONKS PARK. Some areas were easier to remember than others - LOWER COUNDON was at the bottom of the hill, nearer to the city centre, and generally older houses. UPPER COUNDON was at the top of the hill and the houses got progressively newer the higher up you went- thats the way I remembered it. A bus destination which is no longer used is IRON BRIDGE at the top end of Bedworth Rd. My old friend once got into a real pickle giving someone directions that included the iron bridge which is now concrete. Perception of boundaries and the way they are described will continue to evolve. It is no good telling someone to go up Bell Green Rd, past the Morris, past the Navigation and up to the Bell, or even to describe the junction of Lockhurst Lane and Foleshill Rd as down by Courtaulds.
Coventry districts
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 32  Thu 1st May 2014 10:55am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4231

Hi all Wave The posts on here about sums this up. A boundary is more often than not, only effective at any given point in time. As soon as there are developments, it changes along with our perceptions. You mention the expression Iron Bridge, which I still call it, long after it has been replace. Near to where I live is the boundary of Holbrooks & Ash Green, a locality I always knew as Ivy Cottages. You comment about Monks park too. I was almost torn off a strip by someone, most put out when I described them as living up Everdon Rd. "We live in "Monks Park"" they said, in the same vain as Mrs Bucket would, with their slim-line phone & room for a pony! Sorry, that was Violet! You have brought back fond memories, Not Local. Thank you. Thumbs up
Coventry districts
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
6 of 32  Thu 1st May 2014 1:19pm  

Thanks Philip. the one that I forgot is PARADISE. When asked where he lived a workmate used to say, 'Paradise'. It sounds so much better than Eden St. I never went into the Adam and Eve pub in Paradise, but it had a bit of a reputation back then. Monks Park would describe Everdon Rd quite well if you didn't want to say you lived in Holbrooks. You would still live near to Holbrooks Health Centre and The Holbrooks Pub though. My old back garden backed onto the allotments which overlooked the railway track from Keresley pit to Three Spires Junction so there was no way I lived in Monks Park despite the best estate agent speak. I learned about Great Heath and Little Heath the hard way. I was given directions to walk to somewhere near Courtaulds at Great Heath which was not far. Having walked all the way up the Foleshill Rd to British Celanese (part of Courtaulds) at Little Heath I realised my mistake and had to walk back. I could have hopped on a Number 20 I suppose. Great Heath is still remembered in the name of the Conservative Club by Broad St (if it is still there) and Little Heath is in the name of the school by the canal bridge in Old Church Rd (I think). Other older descriptions are probably out there as well, it is just that we all get used to knowing certain areas by certain names. The cafe opposite to the Carlton Cinema was known as the Carlton Cafe long after the cinema had closed. My son described going somewhere in Gosford St which he said was near to a nightclub or something similar - he had to translate that to somewhere near to where Riddy's was. Once I had established that he was talking about the last Riddy's shop and not the original one we were on the same wavelength!
Coventry districts
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
7 of 32  Thu 1st May 2014 5:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:356

I lived for over 20 years in Burns Road, Stoke. This area was also known as Poets Corner, but it was never used as an address on post or parcels, so I assume it was only used by locals based around the area of the Forum. There you are MR............ another option for the location of the Forum cinema!! Big grin
Coventry districts
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 32  Thu 1st May 2014 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:518

The boundaries of any City change constantly as does peoples use of them. When people live an area that has a bad reputation they often use the name of a nearby area that has a better reputation. In the seventies Earlsdon was part of bedsit land now it is considered a desirable place to live. I remember a few years ago talking to somebody who lived in Styvechale about the about a friend who lived in a council flat there. They were adamant that the flats were not in Styvechale but in Fenside Roll eyes Probably the worst culprit for consistently not knowing the areas of our city is the local paper but as it is not really local anymore and produced on a shoestring it is probably to be expected.
Coventry districts
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 32  Mon 12th May 2014 12:17pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:1932

I know this area presently as Holbrooks yet it says Foleshill here so which area is it? Lythalls Lane Stadium

Question

Coventry districts
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
10 of 32  Mon 12th May 2014 2:00pm  

Hi Morgana, my old mate used to live off Arbury Avenue and he said that he lived in Foleshill. The pub in Lythalls Lane at the entrance to the dog/speedway track was called The Old Hall, but in later years the name was changed to The Foleshill Old Hall. Where does Holbrooks start? My guess would be further towards the Holbrook Lane end of Lythalls Lane, perhaps by St. Lukes Rd. The people who live in the Stadium Estate which is built on the site of the old dog/speedway track probably say that they live in Holbrooks,but when their houses were new in the 1960's they would have described the area as the 'Stadium Estate' and everybody would have known where they meant. Any description with the word 'estate' seems to have gone out of favour, probably because people want to appear a bit more posh! Foleshill seems to have crept down the Foleshill Rd towards the city centre in recent years. Regards. Roger
Coventry districts
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 32  Mon 12th May 2014 2:24pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2976

On 1st May 2014 5:28pm, Old Lincolnian said: When people live an area that has a bad reputation they often use the name of a nearby area that has a better reputation.
I've seen property for sale in Spon End described as being in "Lower Coundon" Smile
Coventry districts
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
12 of 32  Mon 12th May 2014 2:27pm  

Thank you Roger for that so it is Foleshill. Yes I guess you're right about estates not being popular even if you live in council or housing associations no one wants to move into them don't know why they are still built best I have seen is where they build one side of the road bought property the other side council or association not estates but roads, which then keeps trouble down and doesn't lower an area down this was in Dunstable Downs where I was going to move once also Sadler Road where I was brought up.
Coventry districts
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
13 of 32  Tue 13th May 2014 10:01am  

Hi Morgana, a new day and some revised thoughts. Everything I said about the Foleshill Old Hall and the dog track are historically correct, but looking at the up to date map of the Holbrooks Ward of Coventry City Council I see that the boundary is the Coventry - Nuneaton railway line and the A444 Phoenix Way. If they were around today we would have the Foleshill Old Hall pub or the Holbrooks Old Hall pub dependent on which side of the railway tracks it was - I can't just remember, but the dog track would almost certainly be known as Holbrooks stadium. Descriptions change as the years go by. Another good example is the park next to Holbrooks Lane and Everdon Rd which was always known as Foleshill Park, but in recent years the name has been changed to Holbrooks Park. The description 'estate' became linked with images of crime, disorder, and problem families so it did not matter how good or bad an area actually was because no-one wanted to be associated with the name. Regards. Roger Edited by member, 13th May 2014 1:53 pm
Coventry districts
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
14 of 32  Tue 13th May 2014 3:42pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:541

On 12th May 2014 2:24pm, dutchman said:
On 1st May 2014 5:28pm, Old Lincolnian said: When people live an area that has a bad reputation they often use the name of a nearby area that has a better reputation.
I've seen property for sale in Spon End described as being in "Lower Coundon" Smile
I wondered where 'Lower Coundon' was, I knew someone who lived in Branksome Road and and they said they lived in 'Upper Coundon', I thought they were just making it up. Oh my
Coventry districts
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 32  Tue 13th May 2014 6:58pm  

Thank you Not Local the dog track is Holbrooks side of the rail track. I am not sure but years ago where my dad lived in the munition hut was by the Everdon Road estate yet it said Foleshill.
Coventry districts

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Dr Whyte, Rotherham Road, Holbrooks
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Steel Caravans Ltd