Next pageLast page
588 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
556 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 8:16am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4100

Morning all Cheers Coventry is listed No 8 in the list of deprived areas. What is a deprived area? Won't the grass grow or something? Top 20 most deprived places Tendring - Around St Osyth and Seawick Blackpool - By Central Pier Blackpool - Around the promenade near North Pier Thanet - Cliftonville West Blackpool - Near the South Pier Tendring - Clacton-on-Sea Blackpool - Between Waterloo Road and St Chad’s Station Coventry - Around Hillmorton Road in Henley Blackpool - Woolman Road and Clinton Avenue Waveney - Near South Pier in Lowestoft Blackpool - Around Cookson Street Kingston upon Hull - Around St John’s Grove North East Lincolnshire - Around Oxford Street in Grimsby Burnley - Around Tay Street and Howard Street Burnley - Between Belvedere Road and Church Street Mansfield - Around Sandy Lane Blackpool - Around Manchester Square and Rigby Road Blackpool - Around Clevedon Road and Carshalton Road Blackburn with Darwen - Wensley Fold Great Yarmouth - Along the seafront
Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell
Coventry
All posts by this member
557 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 4:16pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:43

You really don't know? What an insensitive comment.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
558 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 4:26pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1212

'Deprived' is probably quite a complicated measure of income, property price, crime, services, etc. Where I used to live in Longford was technically classed as deprived but it was a really nice little estate and judging by the cars, nobody was suffering that badly.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
559 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 4:59pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1373

On 27th Jun 2018 4:16pm, VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell said: You really don't know? What an insensitive comment.
Knowing Philip's nature, I'm certain that insensitive would be the last thing he intended to be. In fact I'm sure he'll be mortified to think it came across in that way. Just a little misplaced humour perhaps?
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
560 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 5:03pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:637

Can honestly say, didn't know what to say but the last two comments say it all.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
561 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 6:46pm  

Hi all Wave What I posted was what I copied from two sources, word for word. One was the proclamation, the other was a journalistic question. I didn't add my own opinion, hoping for responses, which is what has happened. I do have my own opinion. Before I can have an opinion, I have to know the truth, not just journalistic burp. I hate the slur on our own city, so, what is a deprived area? When I am looking at stats, I like to know the basis of a survey. How many categories were used to compile data. I posted another report recently regards property prices slumping in high value areas, largely because of the popularity of equity release. Folk, prisoners in their own home, they can't afford to move because the house sale won't redeem the cost of the release, they can't afford to live in their home, now reduced to a one pension. That article was talking about high value seaside areas, but make no mistake, this is much closer to home, where huge percentages of homes in high property price areas are on maximum equity release. The perils of equity release. I posted todays article to balance up a notion, of what I do believed (my opinion) that poverty (deprived area) is far wider than most folk imagine. So often folk can't help the situation that they find themselves in whether they live in Hillmorton Rd, or Whitestone in Nuneaton, but the hardship that they face is the same. They cannot afford to pay the bills.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
562 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 7:04pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5082

Some indication of sources being quoted is always important when posting, otherwise the suggestion is that the comments are directly attributable to the poster Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
563 of 588  Wed 27th Jun 2018 8:23pm  

Hi all Wave If the post is insensitive, please delete it. The original article goes back to 2016, published in a national daily, but has recently been resurrected, maybe as a response to Coventry City of Culture status. I find the article itself provocative, not the response comment questions. That was/is is my motive for posting it. A slur against our city for no good reason, so yes I am angry. Maybe we need to get to grips with our notion of "Keeping up Appearances", making fun of two lifestyles in two parts of our city. In the tele drama, it was "Onslow" who was happiest, not Hyacinth. That is the myth that we need to understand, which I believe the questions were highlighting.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
564 of 588  Fri 6th Jul 2018 4:40pm  

Afternoon all Wave Veg recall notice.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
565 of 588  Sun 8th Jul 2018 4:48am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3190

Well I think it's always bad luck to 'count your chickens' but seeing all those folk cheering for England and showering in beer I am going to watch the final with my Bacardi and Cokes and a large bag of cheese and onion crisps. To hell with the calories. It will be a memorable game whatever. Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
566 of 588  Sun 8th Jul 2018 3:35pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell, I don't know either, and I have been around longer than most, What I do know is, Philip is an honest, generous and valued member of this forum, and answered, won't the grass grow or something is a typical old Coventry answer. I loved it. So please tell me, what is your version of being deprived life, food, clothes? I personally don't think the word really exists in this country today.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
567 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 3:17am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3190

Kaga, you are so right, but the mention of food set me thinking. The top of my list most weeks is mushrooms, must have them, but if not I would not feel deprived. However, you reminded me of our grassy back garden in Tile Hill in the 40's, absolutely filled with those lovely little edibles and my mother was hardly ever without them so I picked up her yearning for them too. I think we are so spoilt these days and to think my gran had never entered a supermarket in her life. Just goes to show how much we take for granted these days and there we were having free mushrooms ready for the picking.
VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell
Coventry
All posts by this member
568 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 9:20am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:43

On 8th Jul 2018 3:35pm, Kaga simpson said: VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell, I don't know either, and I have been around longer than most, What I do know is, Philip is an honest, generous and valued member of this forum, and answered, won't the grass grow or something is a typical old Coventry answer. I loved it. So please tell me, what is your version of being deprived life, food, clothes? I personally don't think the word really exists in this country today.
Kaga simpson I was going to let this subject drop but it would be impolite not to give you an answer. I have no doubt that PhilipInCoventry is ‘an honest, generous and valued member of this forum’ When he made his post, I was astounded by the frivolous comment made about a serious subject. He has since explained that none of the words he wrote were attributable to him. I therefore reserve my disdain for the unnamed ‘journalist’ who should know better. I also remain surprised that the meaning of ‘deprived area’ (the phrase in question) is unknown. To suggest that deprivation doesn’t exist in this country today……..well, we’ll have to unfortunately disagree.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
569 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 9:29am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

Rob, re Philip's post 556. Like the word gay, deprived has a different meaning these days, and to me Philip was referring to the old days, and the grass growing, and some of our new members may not fully understand his meaning. It's 'history'. Long long ago when most of the population worked on the land, people knew if the grass meadows and cereal crops were deprived of water then the plant suffered hard times and was in a life threatening position. But so were the workers, the human body is prone to suffering and likely death, if deprived of water, so they were one and the same in life's struggles, so that's why they talked of grass in times of hardship. Now in 1926/7 with the strikes etc, many people suffered and were deprived of many things, the dole money wouldn't keep a cat for a week let a lone a large family, so they tightened their belts and went coal gleaning and such, they did not 'winge' or get benefits, they did everything they could to stop life threatening. But yes in the early 30's we had a couple of years of record drought if my memory is right, cattle ponds dried out, crops began to wilt, and a lot of cottages and villages were not on the water mains, pumps and wells dried up, and now things were life threatening. Coventry may not have been hit as much of the south, but we still had to beg water from neighbours for some months. I can't remember how much Coventry suffered. After, the grass references and jokes became common again, and I think came back to Philip from his childhood days.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
570 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 11:55am  

Hi all Wave I am delighted about the fact that my post has brought about a discussion. I do believe that we do have deprivation, in some of our communities, but not just confined to specific geographical areas. Those kind of newspaper comments simply cause derision. I travelled from Walsgrave on a bus two weeks ago, along Hillmorton Rd, where folks had full shopping bags, were using the latest gizmo phones & so on. No different from any other area of our city or indeed any other part of the country. That is the reason for my post, the original of which was all copied. It was listening to a discussion on Radio 5 live, which first lit my anger on this. Other areas of Coventry were specifically mentioned. I will do a new post.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 556 to 570 of 588 posts

Page 38 of 40

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 36 37 38 39 40
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Gosford Green
|

Next (newer) topic

St John's Church, Fleet Street