Next pageNo action
588 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
571 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 12:10pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4100

I so enjoyed my first ever Saturday job, working for Mr. Lilly in his green grocery shop in Hillfields. Mr Lilly also had a van-round. One Saturday he asked me if I would like to come on his round, the next Thursday. I jumped at the offer. What an eye opener that was. The round included the Daventry Rd area. The trouble Mr Lilly had getting paid was unbelievable, yet when I barrowed veg to folks homes, in Hillfields, the money was always there. Some homes I helped myself to the money left behind the mantlepiece clock. That experience has left me with sour grapes for anyone who makes fun of good honest folk, even if they don't live in Park Lane.
Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
572 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 1:48pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:516

A very good point, Philip. My parents bought a lock-up shop the same year I was born, and ran it for 30 years or more until the advent of supermarkets on new estates did for them. From the block of shops (which had council flats above) towards Coventry was a big council estate, where everyone was working class, and going from the shops in the opposite direction was exactly the opposite: large private homes, where the occupants were typically rich businessmen driving Jaguars, bank managers, top councillors, football managers... you get the picture. Now the shopkeepers all knew each other and talked. They were all aware of which "customers" couldn't be trusted and would pilfer relatively low value goods from the display counter when not being observed, in other words shoplift. Remember, this was in the days before security cameras existed, or electronic alarms. The amazing thing is that the shoplifters were all from the posh area, not from the working class council estate. They all had coded nicknames, and the shopkeepers would warn each other when one was in the vicinity. One regular offender was referred to as "light-fingered Lil". I have purposely not mentioned the area/s of Coventry involved, nor names, as, although the original people involved have long since passed on, they may well have living relatives who I presume would rather be spared embarrassment. My great grandmother's family had a general provisions shop in a working class area of Birmingham in the Victorian era. She always told my grandmother "never have a shop in a rich area, because the rich don't like parting with their money, whereas the poorer people don't mind!". Smile
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
573 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 1:57pm  

On a similar note, it was much the same when I did paper rounds. Delivering papers was straightforward. I was then persuaded to collect the weekly money on a Friday evening. The ordinary semis or terraced house were easy enough, but it was nightmare doing other roads where the posh people lived. Number one, the houses were much farther apart, with big gardens and long drives, which wasted much time. Number two, these were the ones who were either too busy, or "never in". The occupants of one house used to pretend not to be in, but I knew they were there - I'd either seen movement, a car was in the drive, or the curtains had been closed, yet a television set was blaring away inside. After a couple of weeks, I gave up that job as the effective hourly rate was extremely poor.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
574 of 588  Mon 9th Jul 2018 5:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:491

In the late 70s/early 80s I was an audio engineer at Dixons. We serviced all of the shops in the Midlands as well as Scotland for some reason. We got to know the shop managers fairly well and the shop in Solihull was the only one with a list of people who they would not sell to – called the “Not Quite Right” list. At the time electronic equipment was expensive (VCRs had just broken the £1000 barrier) and they were a group of men trying to keep up with each other, so one would buy the latest electronic item, show it off to his friends and within a couple of days they would all be in to buy it or something better. Once they got it home they realised they couldn’t really afford it and the following day their wives (always the wives) would ‘phone up demanding it was collected as something about it (eg the picture was “not quite right”). The hassle of refunds and the aggro involved far outweighed the odd sale and in the end the shop refused to sell to any of them. I think one of them took Dixons to court over it but lost the case. On a similar theme in the late 80s there was a local MP who was notorious for not paying bills. Indeed several small companies folded because of him. Our sales staff were told only to sell to him if he paid in cash as cheques were always cancelled before they cleared and he wouldn’t use cards.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
575 of 588  Tue 10th Jul 2018 4:08pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

What got me was they built the dirty factories in Foleshill - the power station, the gas works, Sterling Metals, Courtaulds etc. - then built houses for themselves away from the dirt and smoke, on the Kenilworth Road, etc.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
576 of 588  Tue 10th Jul 2018 4:27pm  

Hi Kaga, hi all Wave That scenario is no different today. Coventry is a politically divided city at source, the Earl's half & the Bishop's half. The bishops were often short changed. The attitude is still there now in just the same way. Look at the objections to the Coventry airport & that region's industrial development & how that was thwarted. The "nimbys" weren't going to have to put up with that. It was bad enough when the sewage works affluent, sorry, I mean effluent recovery, was moved there. That really caused stink at the time.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
577 of 588  Tue 10th Jul 2018 6:25pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:19

Hi Philip, hi all. The City Council has posted some interesting information on "deprivation" as part of the Marmot City initiative.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
578 of 588  Tue 10th Jul 2018 8:22pm  

Hi 3Spires & thank you very much Wave I am delighted that you have posted that, so much so I will share a bit of personal info. I had seen the info as well as the download file some while ago. It interested me at the time as the current no.10 bus (used in the diagram) actually goes past the house that I grew up in, on Sewall Highway. Often, it is our own circumstances & experience that shapes how we think. My parents were never pretentious folk, both hard working, my dad a senior development engineer, whilst my mum ran her three shops in Coventry. At a time when car ownership was for the minority, both my mum & dad had their own cars. A two car family in the fifties, I ask you? Upon their retirement, they went to live in Bodmin, Cornwall. Reasonably affluent we might think, yet my mum only lived to age 63, her life taken by a vigorous cancer. Her sister, my aunt, I can only just remember her, as she died in her beautiful home in Stoneleigh Rd at age 41 when I was just three years old. There may have been a weak heredity issue going on, as out of a family of three brothers & two sisters, all living in so called affluent areas, none survived more than age 65. Who knows! I have shared this family stuff so as to explain the roots of my thoughts on this difficult subject. It is why I am not convinced that it is just a £ notes issue. Only one of those five could be described as being a bit short on the "readies". My own opinion on this issue of deprived areas is that the areas that are highlighted as low life expectancy, are "ALL" areas where "herds" of folk, from all corners of the UK & the globe have been shoved in. That I am sure is a huge bearing on the subject. There is nothing new regards the risks involved of moving whole communities en-block. Just look at the historical suicide rates in the new towns of Milton Keynes & Telford. Milton Keynes was the highest in the UK for at least two decades. So that is where I am coming from, where uprooting folk & forcing them like spuds into boxes.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
579 of 588  Tue 10th Jul 2018 10:56pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:19

Hi Philip You are very welcome and thank you for sharing. I have also been thinking about the lifespans of family members with respect to their education, employment, lifestyle, access to healthcare etc and can't help feeling that it's all a bit of a lottery. Oh my
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
580 of 588  Wed 11th Jul 2018 10:02am  

On 10th Jul 2018 4:08pm, Kaga simpson said: What got me was they built the dirty factories in Foleshill - the power station, the gas works, Sterling Metals, Courtaulds etc. - then built houses for themselves away from the dirt and smoke, on the Kenilworth Road, etc.
I've heard that historically, towns and cities grew like this because of a prevailing wind - the richer people not wanting to be downwind of the soot and smoke from the factory chimneys. I'm told that's why "Royal" Leamington Spa was posh in the north, but the rough end was always considered to be the south side (the other side of the river). However you dress it up, most of the posh looking regency buildings are just facades. Leamington was a foundry town. There were 3 foundries at one time, all south of the river, I believe.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
581 of 588  Thu 12th Jul 2018 8:45am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2440

Yes, Foleshill had many foundries, some days you could not see across the road there was so much filth going across the road but the rules of health did catch up. As for living in cleaner areas, they had the money and England had one of the worst class systems in the world, snooty was the old term. But age has to do with a thousand things, we could argue on that until the cows come home, and there's a good topic on its own, all the fuss made yet we still have TB.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
582 of 588  Fri 13th Jul 2018 6:04pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:491

When I worked in Warwick if we had a particularly awkward customer one member of staff would refer to them as "having more front than a big house in Leamington". Even in the seventies many of the larger houses were already converted into flats because of the upkeep. Many of the ones with largish grounds nowadays are care homes.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
583 of 588  Tue 17th Jul 2018 11:13am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1062

Extra £1m of public money needed I find it amazing that private investors should require almost an extra £1m of public money from our council for improvements to their assets. With the approval by council for change of use from retail to student accommodation then the council are already giving up the business rates on the retail outlets. And what excuse do these private investors give for putting out their begging bowl. "Shops are not the cash-cow of old - their investment income is shrinking." My heart bleeds for them - not.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
584 of 588  Tue 17th Jul 2018 6:52pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:156

That strikes me as "State Aid" much more than anything that happened at the Ricoh. There isn't even any sign that the Council would get a payback if rents are higher than expected. The decision is "urgent" as work needs to start now to be ready for the 2021 City of Culture. If that is true, the "City Centre South" development will be a construction site in 2021. Perhaps it is time to knock that project on the head for a few years and look after what what we have. This would give people time to work out what a 21st century city centre actually wants. Peter.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
585 of 588  Sat 28th Jul 2018 11:39pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1062

Has this appeared anywhere in the local media? Another university 'hub' project

Question

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 571 to 585 of 588 posts