No actionNo action
72 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
61 of 72  Sat 24th Sep 2016 12:41pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3414

I looked out my lounge window a couple of days ago, and there was a pool of water all over the pathway - a workman came out and placed two planks of wood so people could negotiate without getting wet and . . . The new Precinct was a quagmire of mud and water, as I guided Mrs Chaplin along the roped planked pathway from the Lower Precinct to Broadgate, plank bridges on scaffolding poles in places, one huge building site in mud and water. Mrs Chaplin told me her fears and anxieties as we walked. Billy her son thought he may be recalled into the forces (reservist) and be sent to Korea. China had stepped in as well, like most people she feared atomic bombs would be used. National Service had been increased to two years. The state of affairs in Egypt, people spoke of the fear of the future, the chaos of the re-building.The purpose that got things done, which they knew in the war years, had gone. A few months ago Coventry had laid a statue of Lady Godiva in Broadgate, a symbol of a new city and new hopes, but rationing was still troublesome, petrol, soap, sugar, tea, clothes, and much more were still with us, and meat rations were to be reduced. War and the rationing were robbing people of vitality and humour. Coventry had good employment and wages, but people still had to scrimp and save for holidays. On average, a couple of 'bob' a week was spent on the football coupons. I think most people's budget around that time was near £5 a week.
Buildings - Food Office
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
62 of 72  Fri 3rd Sep 2021 12:42pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1586

During WW2 this was the Food Office where ration books were obtained. Edited by member, 3rd Sep 2021 12:44 pm
Buildings - Food Office
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
63 of 72  Fri 3rd Sep 2021 2:59pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4918

Not sure it was, Prof Roll eyes The 1950 GPO Telephone Directory lists the "Food Control Office" in Warwick Row 1953 Telephone Directory details the following: The Three Tuns no 1 Food Control Office no 1a Reform Club no 5 I know that Lee Beesley was no 6 and Hansons no 7
Buildings - Food Office
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
64 of 72  Fri 3rd Sep 2021 9:45pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1586

So MR, could I be mistaken and it was instead the building to the left of the Reform Club? My great-aunt from Grantham had to register with the Food Office for her stay with my grandma and have a strong memory of going in with her to obtain a temporary ration card! Edited by member, 3rd Sep 2021 9:47 pm
Buildings - Food Office
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
65 of 72  Sat 4th Sep 2021 10:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1896

The only clue I can find in the CET is an opticians at 4 The Quadrant, who advertise as being opposite the food hall.
Buildings - Food Office
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
66 of 72  Sat 4th Sep 2021 11:41am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2876

1a is the plot on the right of the photo next to the gateway of the club. I'm not sure what sort of building it was as it seems to fill a very large area. BFA 1951 Map same time Edited by member, 4th Sep 2021 11:53 am
Buildings - Food Office
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
67 of 72  Sat 4th Sep 2021 12:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:706

Hope this helps, personally . . I think MR nailed it from the get-go.
Buildings - Food Office
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
68 of 72  Sun 5th Sep 2021 1:42pm  

Heathite, Now this stretches the memory, so just as a tentative suggestion - I think the food office and ration books were received in Hertford Street, just below the Queens Hotel. There was some story that a load was sold on the black market by one of the staff. In 1940 the place was demolished by the blitz, and the food office had to change address. This is only my suggestion on my long time memory. I am not trying to persuade or criticize anyone, as has been suggested of late.
Buildings - Food Office
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
69 of 72  Sun 5th Sep 2021 2:36pm  

There is an advertisement in the Midland Daily Telegraph of 6 November 1940 referring to the Food Office, Warwick Row - ie over a week before the night of the blitz Thumbs up
Buildings - Food Office
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
70 of 72  Sun 5th Sep 2021 2:42pm  

In September 1938, the MDT reports on plans being put in place in the event of control of food supplies in case of an emergency. Amongst the points made is confirmation that the headquarters will be at the Meteor Works showroom, Warwick Row.
Buildings - Food Office
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
71 of 72  Mon 6th Sep 2021 8:48am  

Thank you Midland Red, just a thought from the past.
Buildings - Food Office
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
72 of 72  Mon 6th Sep 2021 2:12pm  

Really I shouldn't be on this forum, to understand the world of my generation would take great imagination and curiosity. Where the building of ration books was, is of little importance to my generation, the nearest real memory was Churchill’s great speech in 1945 from the balcony of the Ministry of Health. That was the way things were done. And to be trained in brutal savage warfare was also normal. Over 30 million soldiers lost their lives on battlefields in the second world war. But 1945 was a pivotal year when people faced the wreckage, great cities reduced to rubble, populations decimated, we were full of despair, and yet great hope. In countries that had been occupied, harsh revenge was meted out, horror to come, but it was also a new beginning. Democracy.
Buildings - Food Office

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 72 of 72 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital
|

Next (newer) topic

New Cathedral of St Michael