Next pageLast page
55 posts:
Order:    

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
1 of 55  Mon 27th Oct 2014 7:50pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2975

When I was a kid in Coventry I don't remember there ever being a mid-term break at this time of year? Being Catholic we got All Saints Day off school but the period between Halloween and Bonfire Night was otherwise normal school days. So is my memory defective or has something changed?
Halloween and the mid-term break
Covkidd
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 55  Mon 27th Oct 2014 8:07pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:27

Always had this week off at school (not Catholic though).It was the time we used to go a bit mad with the fireworks.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
3 of 55  Mon 27th Oct 2014 9:31pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1103

yep, usually 6 to 7 weeks without a break. It's all kids can stand. And teachers too!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 1:59am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3478

On 27th Oct 2014 7:50pm, dutchman said: When I was a kid in Coventry I don't remember there ever being a mid-term break at this time of year? Being Catholic we got All Saints Day off school but the period between Halloween and Bonfire Night was otherwise normal school days. So is my memory defective or has something changed?
Same for me too Dutchman, I can't remember ever having a break at this time off school and it seemed a long haul till the Christmas hols. The children are always having odd days off here - public holidays. Wave
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
5 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 9:50am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:356

I attended KHVIII from 1967-1974. During that time we had half term breaks. They were, however, only two days long, the Monday and Tuesday, then back to school on Wednesday. Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 3:00pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5606

When did the UK start to "celebrate" Halloween? I don't recall it from my childhood days Oh my
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
7 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 3:16pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:744

Seems to have been an import from the States along with Trick or Treat Our only two "Begging" days were Christmas, carol singing and November 5th, to remember a group being hung drawn and quartered and Guy hanging. At least I recall that we put some effort into our begging....Norman
Just old and knackered

woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 4:31pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:156

Just been doing this with my students! Halloween in this country began with the Pagans, so has been around for eons. But, Norman is right-like most Pagan religious days its been transmogrified over the centuries and we are left with the Americanised version Angry Twisted Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 8:08pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:1932

I remember Halloween when I was a kid. Yes Woodford the whole of the UK and Ireland and through out Europe were all Pagans when Rome was just a dot on the map. Halloween is the Pagans new years eve. Their belief is still used at christmas with the Holly and the ivy the berries on the Holly showing fruit through winter, the Mistletoe too with Druids and Greeks too. LINK Edited by member, 28th Oct 2014 8:16 pm
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
10 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 10:18pm  

Why we get holidaysLINK
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
11 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 10:20pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:152

Presumably when we were children at school in 40's and 50's we would have had half term holidays,what we did'nt do was silly American traditions like Haloween.I find it quite pathetic, to encourage your children to knock doors and beg for money.What is that about?

Question

woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 10:56pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:156

We used to call it potato picking week, Slash! We used to work hard and enjoy our earnings. There was plenty to do in the early 60's, around Keresley End and Corley. Big grin
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
13 of 55  Tue 28th Oct 2014 11:34pm  

I use to beg every year singing christmas carols, also penny for the guy in the late 50s to early 60s, we had fire works and fields make dens too which I m sure most of us had when we were kids also scrumping get caught or chased if caught got a telling offOh my, ask people for their empty pop bottles to take back so we could have the money for returns, ask people if they wanted their pavements out side their gardens swept or cleared of snow and ice, or ask down the streets knocking on doors offering to do any shopping to get 3d. Which I think most of us had done back in the day. Now if you scrump as a kid you get a criminal record or asbo at the least even for climbing a tree to play which was nt so in my day. No places left to make dens in over grown fields because councils have sold them all for development to be built on. How many times have they tried to stop Bonfire night, yet those that try and ban it they enjoyed it them selves when they were kids. If a kid went around knocking doors offering to do errands now , no one would answer the door in fear or they would call the police and call it anti social or probably the tax man would want to know how much that child earned or social services would get involved. So it was all right back then for us to beg and have fun but our grand children are just beggers. Typical from the older generation in their small groups they have forgot what they were like wben they were young which shows they have grown old. Has nt it become a sad country when every thing has to be in its place at the right time the right place and mainly supervised by an adult. Sad Sad Sad
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
14 of 55  Wed 29th Oct 2014 12:04am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1103

Morgana, Shhhhh!! Remember that Tony Blair announced "We are all middle class now". So we all need to adopt middle-class values, and THEY don't go scrumping!
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
15 of 55  Wed 29th Oct 2014 12:04am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2975

On 28th Oct 2014 10:20pm, slash1 said: I find it quite pathetic, to encourage your children to knock doors and beg for money.What is that about?
They're normally accompanied by an adult around here and only accept sweets, not money. One year I got it in the neck when I mistook a young-looking mother for one of the children! Lol

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 55 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Belgian refugees in Coventry, WWI
|

Next (newer) topic

Wartime food (and other recipes)