No actionNo action
385 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
376 of 385  Thu 4th Mar 2021 9:26am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3560

There was a stall in the old market that sold pikelets, toasted over a brazier fire bucket on a long wire fork and buttered by his wife, the warm butter ran down your chin and was wiped off on to the back of your hand and licked off, they were delicious.
Our Kaga (The Life and Times of)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
377 of 385  Thu 4th Mar 2021 10:15am  

Nearly all the books I've read about Coventry are of its industry, but Coventry was a beautiful city in Victorian times, had huge gardens, full of beautiful flowers. Mosaic tiles in front of most shops, the churchyard new painted railings, the cobblestones bright and shiny, trees in full bloom, headstones new and bright inscriptions, set amongst well trimmed green grass, the grey richness of the churches gave it a picturesque beauty. There were many plantsmen and seedsmen amongst Coventry people - in Ironmonger Row a plantsman had a beautiful house with the doorway carved in wheat sheaves, and poppies and other plants (it was still there in the early thirties). The market place had spaces with buckets crammed with flowers of all colours and sizes, and small trees in large pots. Before and in front of Butcher Row were the pot and earthenware people, the old willow patterns so much prized in the day. From the top of Butcher Row would be Hicklins bookshop, a celery stall, a confectioners, numerous stalls and shops until the gingerbread stalls into Ironmonger Row, and scores of people Those very old drab photos do not give Coventry a true story.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
378 of 385  Mon 8th Mar 2021 11:36am  

The Jolly Collier once belonged to my family. I never fell in the canal once in my life, jumped in a few times to rescue people, swam in it - in the early thirties, before engines, the canal was pretty clean, it was engines that caused the swirl and big wash and the ruination of the banks - and the fishing competitions were very lively days. My dad had an allotment garden alongside the canal. Everyone knew him as an ex-boatman, he never had anything stolen but sack after sack of manure was thrown on the bank for him, and the rhubarb grew five feet tall. Dad would give them some vegetables and the odd rabbit or or two. I would help him dig trenches and fill with manure, or we would sit in the sun and he would tell me tales of old Coventry and the basin, or of the war. The tall hedgerows behind the garden were full of white flowers and song birds, and the odd boat would pass by and the conversation was thrown across the cut. He told me the wheelbarrow had come from the Crusaders, and many of our gardening tools came from the East, the barrow had the wheel in the centre and we improved on it, but the days were slow, peaceful times and the only background noise was a dog barking in the distance or a bird in the hedgerow.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
379 of 385  Mon 8th Mar 2021 2:22pm  

Around 1900 the farmers started to organise trips to the towns at the weekends to the markets. They put benches down each side of the cart and bingo, you had the first of the trams - carts called omnibuses. They came in from all the villages - Meriden, Baginton, Bell Green, etc - and the found the streets jammed with them, but the centre of the road pretty open, so they made them longer and more narrow, they also added a top deck and on the back an open narrow staircase, put them on iron wheels and rails up the centre of the road, leaving the sides of the roads to normal traders. Pulled by pairs of horses they had to build a blacksmith shop in the centre of town.I believe, but not sure, it may have been the old stable premises at the basin. They also made the top deck for smokers so it was still healthy. But around the late twenties they brought in top coverings, made them with wheels and engines, moved the staircase to the near side on the platform, took away the omni- and called them plain buses, but still made the top deck smokers only. Although they had tiny windows, it was smoke laden air, and it got worse with more factories, more workers - the top deck got so bad that conductors at Longford refused to go on the top deck of the Bedworth bus to collect fares. I think they bought special buses with a window in the roof at the front that a conductor could undo, but I’m not sure as I had moved by that time. They also had to build a station for them - Pool Meadow.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
380 of 385  Tue 9th Mar 2021 9:50am  

1914 and the first omnibuses do their bit for King and country.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
381 of 385  Fri 12th Mar 2021 10:16am  

Coventry 1931 - one room school, one teacher, around 50 pupils, fluctuating down to ten on any day. Boisterous, noisy kids. Teacher raps ruler on desk, noise ceases. “Morning, children”. “Morning, Miss”, noisy and mixed. “Now, children, we have a new pupil this morning. Billy Russell”. Loud clapping and noise. “Now, Billy is your dad on the boats?” “Nah, Miss. E’s in hoss stables right nah”. Teacher, looking at Billy, “Now, have you had a wash this morning, Billy”. “Nah, Miss, me muvver did it”. A few days later. Teacher. “Billy, I hear you have an addition to your family. Boy or girl?” “Dan’t know, he ain't got a name yet”. On a school nature trip. Teacher. “Billy, can you count how many lambs in the field?” Billy looks for a minute. “Dan’t know, Miss, they boff keep running’ abaht”. When we were about ten years old. Billy. “Kaga, if yous going to flicks to see Will Hay, wid yer tell me abaht it, if e’s not on, daun’t bovver”. At 17. “Kaga, if you’re going ta pub tonight, if yer get there fust, put a brick on the wall, if I get there fust I'll knock it off”. Billy grew up, six feet tall, well built, handsome, married into money. Saw him at Ascot one day - top hat and tails, smoking huge cigar, his wife large flowered hat and frock, jewellery, looked like a duke and duchess.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
382 of 385  Mon 22nd Mar 2021 4:34pm  

In the 1920/30’s, a man came round once a fortnight with a large suit case selling bobbins of coloured cottons, small bits of silk, all kinds and sizes of shoe and boot laces. Also, a man with a suitcase with brooches, earrings, etc, a guy with a kind of barrow once a month sharpening knives - all would knock on the door. Young gypsy girl with posies of violets or daffs. A guy down the road, you left a message and he came round and fixed the sewing machine, most went on to own their own shops, except the gypsy girl. The city had scores of guys selling black market goods and faulty goods, most factories had some number of items faulty they sold of cheaply to ‘del boys’. Even Leyland made faulty cars they sold off cheaply to employees. Coventry had always been a good market place of stalls and booths, right from the top of Broadgate to the top Bishop Street in Victorian days.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
383 of 385  Wed 31st Mar 2021 10:46am  

Heathite, hi there. Is there a Simpson, butcher, in Butcher Row during the early 1800's mentioned? It is your past work for me that makes me ask, thanks.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
384 of 385  Wed 31st Mar 2021 11:44am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:703

Hello Kaga. I can't find any results for Simpson butchers in the 1828 directory, or further on. But these relatives may interest you in the images from 1868. Heathite
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
385 of 385  Wed 31st Mar 2021 5:13pm  

Heathite Hi, thanks. That Charles Smith, baker, Longford, is a new one - wonder if he was before Jones, or someone else?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 376 to 385 of 385 posts

Page 26 of 26

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 . 22 23 24 25 26
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Spon Street
|

Next (newer) topic

GEC Spon Street