Next pageLast page
406 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
1 of 406  Wed 31st Dec 2014 4:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3411

Ok ok, I know I'm bragging, but I ran/walked 8.3 kilometers on my 83rd birthday in 83 minutes In 1984 I ran an estimated 84 miles in 19 hrs 84 mins (official race, South Downs Way) Figures and the clock always fascinated me.
Our Kaga (The Life and Times of)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
2 of 406  Sat 31st Jan 2015 7:08pm  

My nickname, way back when I was a kid, a left handed person was called kaggy-handed, but at two years of age couldn't manage that, just kaga, it stuck until I was seventeen, now a family joke. And talking about my childhood down the slough, introduced as kaga on this forum, let it stay. Many a kid has hated the name they were given at school, but too young to do much about it. Now I am well past my sell-by-date, thought I would share my unusual experiences with other people. Regards Kaga.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
3 of 406  Sun 5th Apr 2015 5:12pm  

We had gas for everything, cooking, lighting, and collected coke for heating, so depended on the gas works completely, so I shouldn't really complain about the gas works. I imagine you would have had electric in your day. Once a month in the summer I would ride my bike to the bone mill and collect bonemeal for a neighbour who gave me a few sweets, but better still he gave me tuition in greenhouse plants that still stands good today. Can't remember if I went through Longford in those days to the mill, but my it did 'pong'. Way back around 1940 time every Thursday morning we had to go across the park from Foxford to Windmill Road School for woodwork. Sometimes the fields were flooded, like the slough it had a little white rickety wooden bridge where I liked to stop and let my thoughts run free.
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
4 of 406  Sun 5th Apr 2015 8:33pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:149

Hi Kaga Simpson. No we did not all have electricity in our homes. We only ever had gas for cooking and lighting, and any room without a gas supply we used candles. I do remember coming home to a dark house and having to light the mantle. Not the good old days! For you to get to the bone mill from Windmill Road on your bike you could have gone at least one of three ways. From Longford go up to the end of Lady Lane, follow footpath past the tip, over the canal on pedestrian bridge, over the railway bridge and into Judds Lane. Or up Arbury Avenue, turn right at Elmsdale Avenue, then right down Bedlam Lane to bone mill. Or instead of going up Arbury Avenue, go up the Black Pad behind the avenue and next to gas works to Peggy's Park, through the park to the bottom at Bedlam Lane and the level crossing then carry on to the bone mill The "rickety" bridge you speak of must have been replaced by a sturdier one at sometime for when I knew it, it crossed the river Sowe in Longford Park. It is interesting to hear that you had to go to Windmill Road School for woodworking lessons. When I was in the seniors at Windmill Road, later to become Longford Park Secondary Modern, we had to go to Ford Street School near Pool Meadow. I remember our woodwork teacher, a Mr Pettifer.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
5 of 406  Sun 19th Apr 2015 5:29pm  

Hi all. When I was a lad growing up in the thirties, I lived next door to my grandparents, so my uncles, aunts and cousins visited often. They would drift in to our house, mother would play the piano, and we would all sing, South of the border, Isle of Capri, Donkey serenade and Red sails in the sunset. But granny next door had a pantry stocked full of home made wine, plum, damson, elderberry, dandelion and burdock, apple, and much more so we had plenty of drink. Home made jam tarts, Golden Syrup cakes. I also had a very young aunt, that had short dark hair in the twenties style, flowered dresses and strings of beads, cigarette in a very long holder. Sometimes when she visited, we moved the furniture, rolled back the carpet, so she could dance. We had a 'His Masters Voice' record player that stood on a four foot cabinet that you had to wind up all the time, always finished up with the Laughing Policeman, laughing, clapping and tears streaming down my face. Best years of my life.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 406  Fri 22nd May 2015 7:37pm  

I drove a pony and trap on a milk round in 1941-3, Foleshill, Old Church Rd - Aldermans Green Rd, air raid or no air-raid, debris as well. For a short time, then the government condensed the streets we could use so customers had to have the allotted milkman they were given. Now Paul-guy can tell you of the steep slope up and onto the road I had to contend with 4/5 large churns of milk, and a pony that was slithering and sliding in the icy winter. I washed the bottles, churns, etc, carried cartons of Carnation milk etc and somewhere on this forum I told our weights and measures man I used to hate his predecessor, for if you had a Co-op bottle or any other firm's bottle you were fined and severely cautioned, and could lose your job. I fed and groomed the pony. That was part of my job from 14-half to 17-half (then forces) - it was all part of the day, and I loved it. My pony was a mare, and one day she stopped, right on the junction of Hall Green Rd / Aldermans Green Rd and Windmill Lane, for natural reasons, and nothing would budge her, a large car was held up and began to toot, to no avail, when we finally moved, the car carried the Mayor of Coventry, afraid my mare had the upper hand.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 406  Fri 22nd May 2015 9:05pm  

Like to add a little more to the above story. This little mare shared a field with two shire horses, and in 39 the Army stuck a pom-pom gun in the next field, can you imagine the horror for them, when that started to rat-a-tat at night, obviously we quickly moved them to a field as far away as we could, but there was no way you could explain a war to an animal, and I had a lot of trouble with her the few times the sirens sounded in the day, but gradually she began to like me whispering in her ear (or I thought so) until the noise stopped. When I left to join the forces, my boss kindly retired her. A very brave animal that got mixed up in man's folly.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 406  Wed 19th Aug 2015 4:46pm  

In 1945 it was said that it cost the gov't over a £1000 to train an airborne soldier, so the army made you love guns. I came home on my last leave and took my father's gun along the canal banks to shoot a rabbit, heard a noise behind me on the opposite side of the canal, I turned and fired, something fell, I crossed the bridge and went to see what I had hit. It was a beautiful kingfisher in all its glory and I had killed it. I threw the gun on the floor and kicked it, swore I would never fire a gun ever again and I kept my promise to myself, have never picked up a gun again even at fun-fairs with my boys, and never will. A lesson learnt the hard way. Post moved from topic Sorry state (non-Cov) on 12th Oct 2017 6:44 pm
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
9 of 406  Mon 15th Feb 2016 1:00pm  

Yesterday turned out a big day for me, I became a great great granddad, to a boy born in Oz. Cheers.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
10 of 406  Mon 15th Feb 2016 5:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:774

Congratulations Kaga - a happy day!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
11 of 406  Mon 15th Feb 2016 6:02pm  

Thank you, Pixrobin
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 406  Mon 15th Feb 2016 6:52pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4821

Congratulations to all Cheers
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 406  Mon 15th Feb 2016 8:26pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3504

Hi all Wave Cheers Cheers Cheers from me too.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 406  Tue 16th Feb 2016 11:30am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2350

Now the fun begins, Kaga. Congrats and all that. Do you still remember your old nursery rhymes? Wave
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
15 of 406  Mon 9th May 2016 6:58pm  

THE SECLUDED GARDEN Sunday was a sunstruck May day, so we decided to have a picnic in the secluded garden. Passing through the iron gates, we entered a disused driveway, on one side was a large hedge of privet, creepers had been let loose, wisteria and ivy scrabbling unruly up the hedge, on the opposite side a large ash tree covered in white blossom in a patch of woodland, primroses scattered across the floor, bluebells lined each side of the pathway. Below the ash tree, buxus helianthus and fuchsia bushes, a large white pearl bush scattering its petals across the grass, a small opening then different lilac bushes waiting there turn to blossom, several yucca gloriosa underneath. Just at the side an enormous fig tree full of small fruit before the leaves about to show. As we walked between trees in the glades, the garden sloped down, facing left was rows of vines not yet in leaf, beyond them was the cherry, apple and pear trees, the apples in glorious red and white blossom, and in the far corner another fig tree. Facing right vegetable and flower beds, again with young fruit trees coming into blossom. Under the tall roses great swathes of lush green leaves of crocosmia, yellow tulips alongside, At the bottom of the slope, the very long old greenhouse showing its years. Tall trees surrounded the garden. We gathered new potatoes and salad from the greenhouse. Later we sat in the dappled shade of the ash tree and enjoyed an old fashioned picnic. Truly was a great day.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 406 posts

Page 1 of 28

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 ... 24 25 26 27 28
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Castle
|

Next (newer) topic

2 Tone Scene in Coventry