Next pageNo action
319 posts:
Order:    

LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
301 of 319  Sun 6th Aug 2017 9:51am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:294

Hello all Wave I am an occasional visitor to Gt Yarmouth where there is a wind farm. I look out to see the engineering marvel of the wind turbines but they are rarely turning. Will they ever replace coal,oil or nuclear energy? Somehow I doubt it but hope that I am wrong. Norfolk is dotted with wind pumps that have been left to decay. They pumped the land dry for centuries so maybe, just maybe there is a place for wind turbines.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
302 of 319  Mon 28th Aug 2017 10:29am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4397

Morning Kaga Wave Hope you and yours haven't been affected by the "chemical cloud" centred on Birling Gap Oh my
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
303 of 319  Mon 28th Aug 2017 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1698

Morning Midland Red, thank you for your concern, no we are ok although we caught the edge of it. A brilliant sunny day down here. Hope you're enjoying the same. Regards, Kaga.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
304 of 319  Wed 6th Sep 2017 1:23pm  

Do you remember the old fashioned grates with the big ovens either side, we had one in both front and back rooms. Mum would put two inches of jam in one of those white pudding dishes, cake mix and greaseproof paper when it came out the oven tip it upside down on a plate, the hot jam running down the sides, spoons were flashing in from all sides under mum's arms, you just couldn't resist. Rabbit and veg stew with thick brown gravy, chunk of bread and the gravy running down your chin. Toasting bread in front of the fire with the old toasting forks on a cold winters night. Dad would dampen down some coal slack at night place it at the back of the fire, in the morning one poke with the poker in the morning and a blazing fire, mum would place all our clothes on the guard, when we came down in the morning lovely warm clothes to put on. Upstairs we had enormous wooden sets of draws. Autumn time out would come the woollen blankets and eider downs, leave the draws open for a few days to air and in would go the newspaper and apples and pears, every week one of us would go through the drawers removing the fruit that needed eating or throwing away. As bread and flour was not rationed during the war this continued for us. We were poor but never hungry.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
305 of 319  Thu 7th Sep 2017 10:22am  

Ooh Kaga! Can't keep you out of the news! Wink
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
306 of 319  Thu 7th Sep 2017 11:25am  

Midland Red, yes seems that way, there was talk of moving us but at the last minute they said we were far enough away, Quite funny actually, the ground had been the police station for the last twenty years, they have bulldozed it and replacing it with a big block of flats.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
307 of 319  Sun 10th Sep 2017 12:21pm  

About 1952 time I was sitting on the coach in Pool Meadow. A hairdresser from Bedworth I knew by sight came and sat beside me, I knew he didn't open on Wednesdays and he went racing. We chatted about this and that as the coach headed for Newbury races. Once there we mingled in the crowd and things went well for me, but the last race was a two horse affair, almost joint fav's equal on form and times, etc. Every other horse was way out in the betting. This race was no use to me, it was a head or tails, evens or odds, black or red type of race, I stood and watched the race and they flashed across the line locked together. A photo-finish. I walked towards the coach - the tannoy announced the slight odds fav had won. Nearing the coach the tannoy announced "Objection". After a few minutes the only one missing was the hairdresser. Damn, now we would be late and behind a stream of traffic. We waited ten more minutes before he showed up - I could see on his face he had a bad day. He slumped down in his seat. Harry pulled out of the car park behind a wall of cars. I knew I was going to hear a tale of woe, and yes he had lost heavily, so in the last race with what money he had left, he split his bet, backed the fav to win back his losses, then he backed the other horse to win his stake back from his bet on the fav. And he lost both bets. In a photo-finish you back the horse to win the photo not the race - the fav had won, his photo bet lost, then it had objected, was sustained and the fav lost the race. I would have thought he should have know that, but apparently not.
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
308 of 319  Wed 13th Sep 2017 6:24pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
309 of 319  Sun 17th Sep 2017 12:22pm  

This forum helps to fill in a few gaps in my boyhood. The Saturday after the blitz, my dad wanted to check on two of his sisters in Courthouse Green, so I cycled with him to Roses Garage. His sisters being ok we walked into town from there, mesmerized by the devastation. We collected bits of wood from the Cathedral, dad would make a cross. We saw or heard nothing of the King's visit. Next morning my brother wanted to go to the house we had been evacuated to, to collect something. We cycled there, then to the farm to see a boy we had made friends with. His two aunts were about to take him to see the crashed German bomber. We dived into the back of the car. The bomber was spread over two fields, the engines seemed to be deep in the ground - we found a 'thumb' in a hedgerow, our friend then dropped it with fright, my brother (10) picked it up and put in my palm, a strange and uncomfortable feeling. I took it to an RAF Reg't guy on duty there. We came back to the farm and cycled home. I thought the bomber had a larger crew, but this forum says just four and were correct.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
310 of 319  Sun 17th Sep 2017 12:46pm  

From the date you suggest, this would probably the Heinkel He 111 which was shot down by anti-aircraft fire and crashed at Withybrook on 19 November 1940. The pilot, Oberleutnant Hans Glawe was killed, and observer Wilhelm Gutekunst, wireless operator Rudolf Zeiss and air gunner Xavier Hirshel were all taken POW.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
311 of 319  Mon 18th Sep 2017 9:08am  

Midland Red, We have discussed this in a different topic, and a lady member said the official document it was a Junkers 88 aircraft.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
312 of 319  Mon 18th Sep 2017 10:45am  

According to my sources, the Ju 88 went down on 16 September 1940, not the week after the blitz Oh my On 16th September 1940, a Junkers Ju 88 of Luftwaffe bomber wing KG54 hit a balloon cable over Coventry and crashed at Withybrook. Hauptmann (captain) Henke and Unteroffizier Rattay were killed, and Feldwebels (field ushers [NCOs]) Baur and Perleberg baled out and were both taken POW.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
313 of 319  Tue 19th Sep 2017 9:09am  

Midland Red, then your saying that two German bombers crashed at Withybrook, never heard that before, hard to believe, same little village, I think someone has made a mistake. No there was not two crashed in or near that village.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
314 of 319  Tue 19th Sep 2017 9:52am  

Kaga. The quote above regarding the Junker crash on 16 Sept 40 comes from a Military Archaeology website. The crash is also featured by Coventry Telegraph in this article which includes a photo of the wreckage. The previous discussion you mention is also in respect of this crash:
On 10th Jul 2016 6:02pm, Helen F said: The wreckage of a Junkers Ju88 B3+HH works number 7087 of the I/KG 54 after it hit a barrage balloon cable over Coventry and crashed in Withybrook. 16th September 1940. Don't know if anyone has posted these before. Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3
Your recollection is of a crash in the week after the blitz, which would be the Heinkel on 19 Nov 40
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
315 of 319  Tue 19th Sep 2017 10:05am  

Shortly Michael Portillo will be doing a documentary on Shepton Mallet, may be of interest to some of our ex-service forum members. Shepton Mallet was an Army jail (Glasshouse) that was feared, kept much of a secret during the war, but about 1943 time the Yanks used it for a couple of years, here they had a death row and executions. It also held some of Britain's hardest villains in 1945. Life was so bad for them they self-inflicted injuries, jumped off balconies etc to get a brief spell in hospital. The prison hospital was a few miles away at Shaftesbury, where I met some of them (as a guard), not a pleasant experience for an eighteen year old Coventry kid.
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 301 to 315 of 319 posts

Page 21 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry pubs
|

Next (newer) topic

What happened on THIS day in Coventry's history?
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 66ms)