Next pageNo action
363 posts:
Order:    

coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
346 of 363  Fri 1st Dec 2017 4:37pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:141

Thank you Kaga. You are such a wonderfully descriptive writer, that you are up there with Gilbert White, Flora Thompson, Henry Massingham and the like. I hope you have written all your thoughts and memories down for your family and future generations to read, when everywhere is completely covered with concrete and nature destroyed. Post copied from topic Sinkholes on 2nd Dec 2017 5:26 pm
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
347 of 363  Sat 2nd Dec 2017 11:57am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

Coventry 49. Thank you, if you take in mind my age, you may well expect that I have seen many strange sights and unusual things that would be hard to find today and I love relating them. A very old man I knew told me "My old woman be the most contrariest woman as ever lived, for one day she fell in the river, an' she were that contrary, she floated up against the stream".
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
348 of 363  Sat 2nd Dec 2017 4:48pm  

Most of the things I write are of my own experience, but I must ask forgiveness for lack of education in English. When I was about 9/10 there were far more farm sales, the young farmer would take me in pony and trap, and I would look after the pony while he went bargain hunting - many people came up and talked to me. I remember one old farm-hand. "Sometimes I thinks as I done right, an' sometimes as I done wrong; and you, sir, thinks just the same: but yer knows, sir, gawd be the only one as raley knows t'other from which". I told him my boss was trying to buy a 'flail' (I will tell it as near as I can remember) - "A flail be as ookered as a 'ooman; and they be like 'immin too, they be all sortses. When I were a young fella an' used to go the paces, I used to get a bit oiled and when I did get oiled I got purty blithesome like, and used ter chase the gels fer kisses, an some on em ud come to it an' some em oont; an a flail be jist the same, fer owever you andles a bad un it'll ketch ee one acrost the ed sooner or later". This was the way I used to talk when a boy.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
349 of 363  Wed 6th Dec 2017 5:55pm  

When I was a kid the light of the evening fire, accompanied by the slow tick of the grandfather clock, how nice it was to be indoors with book and toys, But to be wakened in the night by the rain on the window is more friendly. There are few things more reviving and delicious than rain after drought, but at night there is a peculiar quality. The soft murmur in the darkness wakes you so gently, as you lie listening the beat of the rain increases, a gutter begins to gurgle, odd little splashes here and there. You wonder if the rain is steadily pouring all over Coventry. We are apt to grumble at the rain - but stop one moment and think where we should be without it. I was out walking one autumn afternoon, around the farm, gold and russet trees that looked as if they were blossoming, not fading and a sky of spring like blue, a background to the coloured foliage. As it grew dusk and the colours of the sunset dim to purple I felt fortunate to live in rural Coventry.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
350 of 363  Thu 7th Dec 2017 11:28am  

Country lore and tales were more common when I was a boy. I hated being taken to the cemetery when I was small. An aunt dragged me to Windmill Road cemetery to lay some flowers on a grave, we laid the flowers, she looked around said to a grave digger, "Why are there so many crosses laying at an angle?" He stared at her. "You don't know and you supposed to being a good Christian woman." She looked indignant. "Well either the husband or wife is laying here waiting for the other partner to join them, then the cross will be planted upright." I felt she had been told off and clapped my hands and received a cuff on my ear. A large house surrounded by trees close to the Crown (?) pub in Windmill Road was supposed to be haunted and local folk were not to keen to pass it after dark. A well-known braggart, after downing several pints and near closing time, was dared to enter the garden of the haunted house. The drunk walked in among the trees, shakily asked "Is anybody there?" "Yer'se oi be ere" said a nervy voice. The drunk fled, ran until he got home - of course he had been tricked, someone had slipped out the pub earlier. Made for many laughable tales after. One of the more pleasant stories of my childhood. The water from a spring on Sowe Common, the story was a lad in the 18th century had suffered from bad eyes, bathed them in water from the spring, was so successful that he enjoyed good sight for the rest of his life. I never did find the spring or even the boggy ground that would have surrounded it.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
351 of 363  Thu 7th Dec 2017 11:43am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

Is this the one, Kaga?
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
352 of 363  Thu 7th Dec 2017 1:23pm  

Midland Red. Absobloodylutely. That was quick, didn't have time to drown a pint. But it was a lot dowdyier back then, and probably a pony and trap outside. The house was a little to the the right.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
353 of 363  Fri 8th Dec 2017 10:02am  

There was a man in Coventry I'll call Yampy Sykes, Yampy was to meet a man at the 'Elephant and Castle' public house. Yamp said "If you get there first place a brick on the wall, if I get there first I'll knock it off." Another time he asked my boss if he had any work, the boss said "You can go and count the sheep in that pen". He was gone a long time - when he came back, the boss said "Well, did you count the sheep?" "Yep I counted em, all except one, and 'e ran about so much, I couldn't count 'e". One day he was seen walking down the street, with a look of determination on his face and with his hands firmly in front of him. When asked the reason, he replied "Can't stop now, been sent to measure a door". His friend Joe was given the job of cleaning the pigs out, and paid extra money. Yamp was heard to say "T'aint fair, I do all the dirty work, and Joe gets to clean the pigs out." Another time he complained "There's ole Joe, gets three shillings a day for night work, and I get nothing - that's som'at, ain't it?" It was said when he was younger the lads of the village played a trick on him - they asked him if he dare walk through the graveyard one dark evening. When he nodded one of them slunk off, laid on a tombstone. As Yamp appeared he started to moan "I can't get in, I can't get in". Yamp gave him an almighty kick in the ribs, "Yer silly bugger, yer no business to be out".
Our Kaga
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
354 of 363  Fri 8th Dec 2017 10:18am  
Off-topic / chat  

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
355 of 363  Fri 8th Dec 2017 11:14am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:383

Reminds me of a tale of the new apprentice that started many moons ago. The foreman asked him to go to the wholesalers on his motor bike, as they needed a few bits and bobs. The foreman started writing a list, talking as he went along. "We need some number 8 screws. Better get a box of 3 inches. And 50 3/4" male bushes. And a dozen 3/4" female bushes. And half a dozen 3/4" stuffing glands. Ooh, nearly forgot, we need a box of nipples as well." The young lad thought "Ok, no-one's going to make a fool of me, I'll show you". So he set off on his motor bike, and went into town to a café with his mates. He came back about two hours later, empty handed. The foreman demanded an explanation, and the lad gave him a cock and bull story about having been to all the wholesalers in Birmingham, and no-one had ever heard of such items, let alone stock them. The foreman was livid. Of course, he was being serious, as they are all legitimate, common engineering terms.
Our Kaga
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
356 of 363  Fri 8th Dec 2017 11:31am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
357 of 363  Mon 11th Dec 2017 12:43pm  

Main Pit Farm, Foleshill, came in to the boundary of Coventry in 1926, a larger farm than Hawkesbury Grove Farm or Hall Green Farm (Manor Farm). It was a more pleasing and interesting building than both, in fact it would be in line with any building in Warwickshire for sheer versatility for its job, whatever its origins. It was built with all the main farm buildings as one building, in a large L shape - with huge beams and granary it was most impressive, comfortable for both animals and man to live in, work in. Even the loo was in a passageway, the rear wall being part of the cow shed behind it, so was never cold or draughty to enter. The buildings were enclosed behind two huge wooden gates. The house was on the south-east corner, surrounded on the outside by lovely gardens and orchard, it looked over a lovely meadow and down to the 'Slough Lake'. The inner corner of the L shape there was a large archway in beautiful brickwork design, that covered the kitchen window, on the right and inside the archway was the door entrance to the house, on the left a door that led down steps into the huge larder that was six feet below ground level. There was a tiled path that led between the thralls of the larder, huge hams adorned the walls, rows and rows of home made fruit jams and preserves stood on those thralls, and everything that was needed to feed a family. The archway gave shelter from the weather. Inside the door to the house, in the hall was a beautiful carved wooden staircase, to the left and right were the two main living rooms, so well-protected from draughts by the archway, within each room were great hearth-wide chimneys with magnificent fire-back casts, no doubt by famous ironmasters. On these casts were oak leaves and acorns, to the left as you stepped was a charming kitchen, an elaborate oak overmantle above the enormous range, carved oak supports on either side, dainty cupboards let into the panelling. Under the window, a sink with a solitary tap, the water fed from a spring by pipes from two fields away - the pipe also fed the water trough for the animals in the yard outside, two yards from the kitchen window. The yard also led to the passageway that ran the other side of the great larder, held the toilet and on into the gardens. The cowsheds and animal buildings on either side of the L shape, the cross that ran the length of the building. The far end was the mighty granary with its massive beams, horses below, tackle shop, etc., a huge and beautiful building that gave the farm character as well as the workings of the farm. There is so much more, I could fill a book. It was a great and wonderful building, the like I have never seen since.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
358 of 363  Mon 11th Dec 2017 5:37pm  

Yampy asked the local jobbing gardener to call round and see him. Next morning the gardener called on Yamp - knocked on the door, wife opened the door. "Oh yes he's down bottom of garden, in the pig shed". Gardener turns. Wife adds "You'll easy recognise him, he's wearing his hat". "You want to see me, Yamp?" "Yeh, I want to move this plant, but don't know the best time to do it". Gardener looks at plant. "Yamp, it's dead". "You don't think I should move it then". "It's dead". Yamp eyes it for a minute. "Then oi'll let it be, the wife likes the flowers". Another time, Yamp couldn't sleep, so he went to the doctors - the doctor gave him some pills. "Take two half-hour before you go to bed". Evening - Yamp's not feeling well, says to wife, "I'm orf to bed". Few minutes later wife notices the pills on the sideboard, takes them to bed with a glass of water, but Yamp's fast asleep. Wife tugs his shoulder till he stirs. "You silly bugger, yer forgot to take yer pills". Yamp says to wife one morning "I'm going to be right down the bottom of garden this morning and my watch is broke so when it's lunchtime hang a towel outside the window - I can see it from down there". Wife decides to go shopping in town. As she goes out the door she remembers about the towel, so she goes back indoors and hangs the towel out the window.
Our Kaga
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
359 of 363  Mon 11th Dec 2017 11:06pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:185

Kaga, That is a wonderful description of Main Pit Farm. It is such a pity that it now lies underneath the northbound carriageway of the M6 motorway.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
360 of 363  Tue 12th Dec 2017 8:52am  

Not Local. Yes I was very fortunate, as my dad's uncle owned Grove Farm in the thirties, another aunt moved in to Hawkesbury Hall in the forties, which was on the opposite side of the road, and I also visited the farm along the same road nearer Bulkington that was the old Tolldish Hall, and my brother moved into Ansty Hall in the eighties. My thoughts about Main Pit Farm - it may have been the old Tackley Hall, Tackley was the old name for Hawkesbury way back. A guy named Parrott lived in Hawkesbury Hall way back, hence Parrotts Grove. Moneyed people around that area in the old days - Lapworth, Briggs, Pearson, Stoke, Green, Dugdale, Clifford, and Lord Tackley so you can see the tie up with the names and places we have today.
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 346 to 360 of 363 posts

Page 24 of 25

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

The view from my window
|

Next (newer) topic

You are at the most recent topic
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 137ms)