No actionNo action
253 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
241 of 253  Thu 7th Jan 2021 5:21pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2534

I don't know where this is but the image below, from the Fourtoes website, is the other side of it. House with greenhouse And I reckon that this is a garage block to it. Note the weird support to the veranda, the roof and the barge board styling. Garage to above Edited by member, 7th Jan 2021 5:27 pm
Coventry photo collections on the Internet
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
242 of 253  Thu 7th Jan 2021 6:06pm  

Dalecote House But the photo needs flipping to match this advert. Map location
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
243 of 253  Thu 7th Jan 2021 6:20pm  

This is the right hand end of Hylands and you look from the street. View that matches the photo. As others have noted this is also Hylands. The rear of Hylands. Edited by member, 7th Jan 2021 7:04 pm
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
244 of 253  Fri 8th Jan 2021 3:40pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2777

That Dalecote House one is strange as it’s listed as Charterhouse Lodge on modern Google Maps and there appears to be an upper bay window added to that side that does not even match the modern website logo. My wife has been in there before - it’s the Masonic Lodge if I'm not mistaken. She used to teach at Davenport Lodge School in Davenport Road and they used to have a Christmas party in there. Helen, do you want me to add location comments on the Flickr album? I did the Darlaston House one already and obviously credited you (and mentioned the forum, Rob!) Edited by member, 8th Jan 2021 3:44 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
245 of 253  Fri 8th Jan 2021 5:12pm  

As some have already been flipped, it would be worth considering that the others might be the wrong way round too - Dalecote House is the wrong way round. I might place the others if the orientation is right. It might affect the actual number of the Warwick Road one too as features might be flipped. I'll see to it. Edited by member, 8th Jan 2021 5:38 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
246 of 253  Wed 20th Jan 2021 4:59pm  

This one has been identified as Birch Tree Cottage in Keresley. Birch Tree Cottage from the front Old Maps location And looking at the map, I'm right, this one is its garage. Garage of Birch Tree Cottage Sorry Neil, I missed your question about posting on Flickr for me. Yes please.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
247 of 253  Wed 20th Jan 2021 5:48pm  

Some of the photos seem to be in batches - maybe based on a long walk. There are a number based on the river out near the Waste Disposal Plant/Sewage Works. This is south of the WDP/SW, looking west. The London Road was beyond the houses and the land beyond was to become the cemetery. River Sherbourne with London Road beyond This is the WDP looking north west. Swift's Corner Sewage Works The track crosses the river and this might be near the bridge looking north east, with the WDP/SW off to the left. As someone notes, it is the railway line in the distance. It could also be the other side of the railway line looking south west. Might be the eastern branch of the river going round the Sewage Works. Map of area It's a wild guess but I wonder if this is the dried up bed of the Sherbourne when it ran to the west of the plant. The path followed its line into the trees. You can see stone blocks in the bank on the right. Might this be part of where Swift's Corner mill was? Swift's Corner? Edited by member, 20th Jan 2021 5:51 pm
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
248 of 253  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 4:44pm  

CliffB and I are pretty sure this is the original Wisteria Lodge (the one on the left)..... Post copied from topic Stivichall / Styvechale on 29th May 2021 10:27 am
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
249 of 253  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 6:04pm  

Go on, give us a clue where it was. Smile Oopse, no I've found it and yes, that was what I thought it was. Wisteria Cottage and The Cottage Edited by member, 22nd Feb 2021 7:17 pm Post copied from topic Stivichall / Styvechale on 29th May 2021 10:28 am
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
250 of 253  Sat 6th Mar 2021 1:57pm  

K G Kristoffersson Search page with Coventry entered Edited by member, 6th Mar 2021 3:11 pm
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
251 of 253  Mon 15th Mar 2021 4:46pm  

Think I have referenced them before but the Weir Archive has some crackers.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
252 of 253  Sat 27th Mar 2021 7:52pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1538

Many thanks, Neil - they are and even one of the Coventry Operatic Society with my Uncle Fred as the Captain of the Scotch Archers in 'The Vagabond King', a Hippodrome production in the 1930's. Alas I was probably not yet born! Edited by member, 27th Mar 2021 8:06 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
253 of 253  Sat 29th May 2021 10:53am  

The new library pictures site is hard to search through but there are a lot of new images from the City Architects. Beware very open search terms because each new tranche of pictures slow the thing down to the point it throws you out for inactivity. eg I just searched for 'city architects' and while very interesting, it took ages after the first few demands for more. I refined the searches to city architects and another term eg street or spon or hill but that relies on you guessing another word in the picture tags. There are some good images that I discovered by accident eg there was a picture of a Bishop Street rear with a tower block in the distant. The tag was for the flats, not the street. There are some interesting images for park street, including the demolition of the brewery. My usability score for the site is poor and Rob's version was much, much better, but I expect they've gone for the security features - while you can't screen print or copy the pictures directly, there is a way round that for the determined Twisted . I expect it's also more phone and tablet friendly but I suspect that most people using the images would be using something more dedicated to work like a laptop. The other feature I find annoying is the large numbers of modern photographs of almost exactly the same event/thing eg I had to wade through pictures of a pop concert while looking for old pictures of the Godiva procession. It doesn't help to search for the oldest shots because I'm not sure that the old photos as tagged as old yet. I'm not even sure of all the old pictures have been entered. I certainly haven't found photos I know were in the old collection.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 241 to 253 of 253 posts

Page 17 of 17

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .. 13 14 15 16 17
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Apollo / Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Car Dealers, Garages, Petrol Stations