No actionNo action
199 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
196 of 199  Tue 28th Sep 2021 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3420

My first introduction to bombing was as a schoolboy. My brother and I had to cross a field, full of dairy cows, to get to school in the morning and four bombs had crossed the field, ripping the herd into pieces. Bits in trees, pieces dripping red on wire fences, legs, heads, parts of stomachs, scattered over the field. My second was my aunt’s house which had taken a direct hit. Twenty minutes later and I was helping to remove rubble, not knowing what I would find. A few weeks later, I saw the devastation of Coventry in the blitz. Two days afterwards I stood in front of The White Lion Inn, listening to the experts discussing the building. Five years later I learnt the use of explosives, I myself was throwing them about. A year later on duty at the King David Hotel bombing, twenty minutes after the explosion, discussed it with my duty officer (he later turned up at The Grand Hotel, Brighton, as Chief Army Officer in Maggie Thatcher’s government). I was on duty when ground floor of Barclays Bank, Haifa, was a victim of a terrorist attack. I landed up in hospital with that one. Again, I was on a train that was de-railed by a terrorist bomb in Palestine. Year later I was in team that searched Surrey Heath for any unexploded bombs from the ex-army training grounds (one had exploded few weeks before). Years later I was at the scene ten minutes after of Brighton Grand Hotel, where I met up with my old duty officer that was now Thatcher’s Chief Army officer.
Our Kaga (The Life and Times of)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
197 of 199  Sun 10th Oct 2021 4:51pm  

Coventry in the 1920/30s was a peaceful, loving city, despite the strikes and unemployment. It was more rural, the fields and heaths stretched nearer the city centre, houses and pubs had large fireplaces that burned large logs. When the wind blew cold around the corners of the house, we could sit and watch the flames flicker, or lay on a rug and read a book with the gaslight behind us. Or we could just lay and dream of the faraway places that we read about, while Mother played on the piano, ‘South of the border’ or ‘Red sails in the sunset’. The Miners Arms pub had large open fireplaces where railway sleepers, cut in two feet lengths, fed the flames, and men were known by their slang names. The son’s name of Chew-Chew Wellford bandied about, along with Yo-Yo Thompson who could sing a merry song. There were two rooms for guests in spring and summer who came to fish the 'Slough'. Through the wicker gate out the back were long meadows of wild flowers and herbs. In spring and summer the scent was heavenly. A little to the right was a small spinney, the rookery, wild garlic at its base. Many a time customers walked into the pub with great handfuls, while across the road stood Hilda's fish and chip shop. Fish and chips were both wrapped in a small piece of paper, then old newspapers. Beyond the fish shop were the reed beds of the 'Slough'. Here, wild fowl called across the water. Five doors from the fish shop lived little Tommy Cartwright, Warwickshire and England cricketer, the reed beds at the bottom of his garden. Great days of Coventry before disaster fell upon us.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
198 of 199  Fri 15th Oct 2021 11:45am  

The great white hotel sparkled in the sunshine, some twenty feet from the cliff top edge, the face of the cliff giant stones, over a century old, the sun from the east at 11 o’clock height sent a sparkling path of white across the shimmering water, a jewel in the sea, lapping on the stones below, above railings and a bench, my seventeen year old bride of some SIXTY years ago sat at my side, put her hand in mine and smiled, it had been a long and beautiful journey, and now a diamond of a day. Slowly, we shuffled back to the hotel, a meal and a glass of bubbly, and home. It had been three years since we both felt well enough to get out, but rewarded with a diamond day.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
199 of 199  Fri 15th Oct 2021 11:50am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2753

Congrats to the pair of you. Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 199 of 199 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Pool Meadow and Fairfax Street (new and old)
|

Next (newer) topic

Friendly Chat
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2021

Load time: 49ms