No actionNo action
19 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
16 of 19  Wed 28th Jun 2017 10:20am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

Families of the 96 men, women & children 'unlawfully killed' 28 years ago will hear today if any criminal charges are to be brought YNWA
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
17 of 19  Wed 28th Jun 2017 11:47am  

Six people are charged over the Hillsborough tragedy - including match commander David Duckenfield and ex-police chief Sir Norman Bettison Report
Hillsborough
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
18 of 19  Sat 25th Nov 2017 10:36am  

The police chief in charge at Hillsborough has received £7.6m in legal aid, it can be revealed, as he lost his latest bid for more money to fight manslaughter charges. Former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield headed the security operation at Hillsborough in 1989 when 96 fans were crushed to death on the terraces. The retired police officer is facing charges of manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 people. He applied to South Yorkshire Police for financial assistance to help him fight the Crown Prosecution Service's application to lift a 'stay of prosecution'. But South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings turned down the new application, revealing he had already received £7.6m in fees for the Hillsborough inquests and defending a private prosecution in 2000. This was put in place in place in 2000 when jurors failed to reach a verdict after a private prosecution for manslaughter, and the suspension needs to be lifted in the High Court before Duckenfield can go on trial again. Duckenfield's application also asks for cash to fund 'the cost of his defence' if the stay of prosecution is lifted. Dr Billings said: 'I have taken account of the finite resources available to South Yorkshire Police in the coming years and the impact that the decision to agree to the request could have on the budget commitments on the force.' He added: 'The jury concluded that a breach of duty by the retired officer, which amounted to gross negligence, caused the death of 96 people who died at Hillsborough. I cannot ignore that conclusion. 'I have also had regard to the fact that this retired police officer has already received significant financial support.' Angry Angry Angry
Hillsborough
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
19 of 19  Sat 25th Nov 2017 11:01am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

Angry Angry Angry Angry
Hillsborough

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 19 of 19 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Union Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Salvation Army & Hostel
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)