No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

RLCherrington
London
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Mon 25th May 2015 11:20pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:72

Anybody remember anything about Wilsons Gas Meters in Foleshill Road?
George Wilson Gas Meters
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Tue 26th May 2015 7:05am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:127

Was there not a Wilsons Gas Meter factory on the corner of Livingstone Road and also one in Lythalls Lane?
George Wilson Gas Meters
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Tue 26th May 2015 7:47am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:854

The last time I saw the building it was being used as a temple...
Milly rules

George Wilson Gas Meters
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Tue 26th May 2015 8:17am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4956

From another thread:
On 27th Feb 2013 5:28pm, MisterD-Di said:
On 27th Feb 2013 2:16pm, DBC said: I remember George Wilson . They had a factory right next door to the Livingstone Road Baths.
George Wilsons were actually opposite the swimming baths. Their factory at one time extended from the Foleshill Road end to where Pedleys, the caravan place was. But then a large part right opposite the Baths entrance was taken over by the City Council for many years. It had been used as the meter testing part, but became the Weights & Measures Department, where I worked in the 70s. It was perfect, and became one of the best equipped such places in Britain under the then Chief Inspector, Ieuan Stringer. Sadly it was sold off for political expediency around 1980. The service was run by the WMCC by then, and moved to a completely unsuitable rented place in Whitley Village.
Link to my photograph of the building in 2010 Thumbs up
George Wilson Gas Meters
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Tue 26th May 2015 10:47am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2207

Midland Red, great shot, I remember it quite well, I believe the gas men paid the money in there after doing their rounds, they used to use the 'Livi' pool cafe to count the money, in little piles, we used to knock the tables as we walked by. One of them went to the same schools as me, for anyone interested his sister ran the chip shop in A/Green Rd. Just inside Broad Street on the right, there was a small chapel and the chapel house, holds some hair-raising party tales for me. But I am surprised the street looks exactly like it was back in the fifties.
George Wilson Gas Meters
charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Tue 26th May 2015 11:51am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:167

As a choir boy in the late 1950's, I was invited to sing a solo at the wedding of the daughter of the owner of George Wilson's Gas Meters. It took place at Barford church and I sang 'Oh for the Wings of a Dove', though my voice was about to break and I couldn't hit the top note. I was given a lift to the church and the reception (at the Welcombe Hotel, Stratford) in an Austin Healey Sprite and my fee was a guinea plus all that I could eat at the reception.
George Wilson Gas Meters
Ace
Nuneaton
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Wed 27th May 2015 5:36pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:72

I had a nice friend who worked at Wilsons. Not seen her in 20+ years though. She moved to Burbage. Lovely lady
George Wilson Gas Meters
Dillotford
Stafford
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Tue 2nd Jun 2015 3:17pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:29

I remember that my mum told me that George Wilson was Dutch. The Wilsons lived on Knoll Drive. I remember they also had a Rover P4 in the '50's.
George Wilson Gas Meters

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Valves Ltd., Parkside
|

Next (newer) topic

Sky Blues F A Cup Final win, 1987
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category