No actionNo action
111 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
106 of 111  Sun 5th Nov 2017 10:47am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

Most people look on 1945 as the end of the war, peace and quiet for everyone, but it wasn't that simple. Millions of troops around the world wanted to go home, but transport could not cope at one go, there had to be order, but how? An American troop train pulled into Euston, so did a Canadian and a British (bad planning?) - the Americans and the Canadians each thought that they had priority on transport for some months, they clashed, a huge brawl erupted, the British Military Police told the Brits to stay on the train while other MP sorted it out, but that was minor to things on the continent. The Germans had looted, raped, and shot civilians during the war, even POWs but in the last few months of the war they shot whole villages (women, kids, old men, animals), torched whole villages, but when the war ended they were on their own. Military were after them for war crimes, but partisans of countries hunted and meted out their own reprisals, women collaborators were shorn of their hair, many men tortured and shot. In cafes and bars people were dragged out, never to be seen again, and people didn't interfere, you kept your head down, minded your own business.
Post-war redevelopment
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
107 of 111  Mon 6th Nov 2017 10:13am  

Neils Yard, I find your interesting photo on 95 confusing, I thought all those old buildings had been removed before the Leofric building was started, is there any way anyone can date the picture?
Post-war redevelopment
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
108 of 111  Mon 6th Nov 2017 5:38pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

1954, Kaga - the White Lion was the last building in Smithford Street to be demolished Thumbs up
Post-war redevelopment
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
109 of 111  Tue 7th Nov 2017 4:01pm  

PeterB. Well, well. So Coventry people made parachutes. So that's why I felt safe testing them out Thumbs up Cheers
Post-war redevelopment
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
110 of 111  Tue 7th Nov 2017 4:25pm  

MR. Yes, I needn't have asked. In Feb 1954 I was 27, got involved in an emotional and more, with an unusual woman. We walked down the Precinct, watched the crane for a few moments, but I was voicing my thoughts too much. I hurt her feelings - at the bottom of the Precinct and in the shadow of that crane she told me of a tragic event that controlled her life. We parted. She rang me next morning - could we meet? We met, took a bus ride, met people, went places, both now in an emotional state - later we parted, it was over. Yes I have vivid memories of Coventry. Broadgate, Smithford St, Market Place, Corporation St, Hales St and Butcher Row and all between was a wonderful shopping centre, you could buy everything you needed all at close hand - so why not rebuild each, same exterior, modern interior. Keep the modern car out of the city, there was plenty of waste ground near the centre, in surroundings the people were used to.
Post-war redevelopment
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
111 of 111  Wed 8th Nov 2017 11:16am  

Yes MR, the White Lion was end on to Broadgate, but by 1953 two-thirds of the Precinct on that side had been boarded up, but if you walked round to the Burges you could see it was still open for business. There was a long gap between the pub and the gents outfitters and there were still small mounds of rubble with a large patch cleared farther in. I believe the small rubble was there on purpose to stop the cars parking and blocking the view of the pub. On that side you see more clearly the scars of the bombing. But . . oh inside, it had been all very plush, on the Precinct side against the wall there were a red soft-cushioned bench - look across the room and you were looking down the Burges, the bar was the Broadgate end, its back to Broadgate. On the right of the bar was a corridor down to the toilets, can't remember the colour of the carpet. But to me it looked as if it had been refurbished in the thirties, but was showing wear and tear and its life was about to end. The whole place had been real plush and was still the dearest pub in town. There were old tankards on the shelves, a huge pair of bellows, long handled tongs, pictures, relics, all that went back to an older Coventry. but I loved it and used it often in the early fifties. As a boy I had known the cobbled streets and the horsedrawn cabs, so it was not hard for me to imagine further back in time - Hansom cabs drawing up outside, ladies in long beautiful dresses, men with side-burns, fob watches, long pipes etc. But I loved it and used it often in the early fifties.
Post-war redevelopment

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 111 of 111 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

You know when you've got old
|

Next (newer) topic

Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
View similar topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 57ms)