Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

Roll eyes Cheers Lol
Jordan Well
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
92 of 97  Mon 23rd Oct 2017 5:50pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:375

On 20th Oct 2017 2:40pm, Helen F said: Two great pics Heathite, but not from the same spot sadly. In the first picture on the north side of the road, Freeth Street and Cox Street are on either side of the middle line of the photo. On the right (south) side of the road, just beyond the two storey building, Whitefriars Street was built opposite Cox Street. In the second photo Bayley Lane is on the left and the first turning on the right is Much Park Street. Sadly I know of no early photo from that spot and only a Herbert Cox painting of the stretch beyond Bayley Lane looking north east. A few look the other way. As photogenic buildings were lost, the artists/photographers changed their favourite composition spots.
No worries, I got the images from a book with many 'before and after', images. Perhaps the author had a limited choice of views, even though it was still Jordan Well? Some of them are interesting to me since they are from about 1973.
Jordan Well
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
93 of 97  Mon 23rd Oct 2017 7:37pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:764

Since many buildings in Jordan Well were flattened and the town planners finished off those survived near Cox Street there was nothing much to photograph in 1973. The new museum was one of the new replacements, followed by the Polytechnic. At the other end of time, the same view of the end of Bayley Lane was interesting by modern standards but pre war it was a bit mundane. Maybe there were photographs but I've not seen them.
Jordan Well
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
94 of 97  Tue 14th Nov 2017 3:34am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1552

I think this has been seen before but nice size for detail, sad as it is.
Jordan Well
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
95 of 97  Tue 14th Nov 2017 8:32am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Jordan Well
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
96 of 97  Tue 14th Nov 2017 8:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:764

On 14th Nov 2017 3:34am, NeilsYard said:
Yes Neil, a good copy of a well known image. It also shows more to the left and right than most copies. To place the location, the building on the left with the mock Tudor fa├žade is genuinely old and at the time it was bombed it was the Mattock and Spade. I could be wrong, but the specific building location of the pub changed on at least one occasion. On the right, beyond the tall wall, you see the two halves (one gabled) of the Dun Cow. In the picture below you can see the two buildings and the building to the right that left just the tall end wall in the bombing photo. This was relatively new having been built a short while after 1821.
Jordan Well
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
97 of 97  Tue 14th Nov 2017 11:35am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

NeilsYard, could it be there were so many pubs, that work was more physical, 'elbow grease', none of today's modern gadgets, so more tiring, more thirsty.
Jordan Well

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 97 of 97 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Spon Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Film Memories
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 45ms)