Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4918

13 historic Coventry buildings and sites at risk of being lost - report Angry
News, Media and Current Affairs - Sorry state
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 20  Fri 15th Apr 2016 12:44am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2651

On 14th Apr 2016 2:23pm, Midland Red said: 13 historic Coventry buildings and sites at risk of being lost - report Angry
No mention in that report of St Christopher's Chapel or Caludon Castle ruins! Roll eyes

PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 20  Tue 5th Jul 2016 9:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3720

Hi all Sad Library Closures. Holbrooks where I live, used to have a small economical library in Brisco Rd. The big idea, but small brains brigade in the council, decided to move the economical library into part of the Ricoh shopping mall at a huge increase in rental & operating costs. In September, Holbrooks will no longer have a library. Where are the big ideas but small brains brigade that did this now?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 20  Tue 30th Aug 2016 6:26pm  

Four of Britain's newest and most expensive hospitals have been built without proper fire protection - and will cost £47million to fix, it was revealed today. University Hospital Coventry was completed only a decade ago for £380million - but the building allegedly now needs two years of work to make it fire safe - report
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 20  Tue 30th Aug 2016 7:06pm  

Hi all Wave Sadly, I believe that the omission was known at the time of construction. It may have been a case of turning a blind eye, so as to save a few bob of cost, but who made the saving, knowing the main contractors, is a guess for anybody. One of those contractors is currently contracting with National Grid. Anything can happen. Sad Schools built during the last couple of decades where fire protection was included in the original drawings & plans have had it taken out & we have all seen what has happened in news headlines over the years. Sad
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 20  Tue 24th Oct 2017 11:41am  

Morning all Wave This hotel chain, awful review. There are three of these in the vicinity of Coventry. I had one bad experience a decade ago in one of them, but received a full refund & compensation, so I am all square regards their performance. They at least put it right for me, along with sixty guests. Wave Thumbs up
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
7 of 20  Tue 24th Oct 2017 2:14pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:414

My wife & I stayed in the Britannia near Pool Meadow back in January this year (it used to be the upmarket De Vere back in the 1970's I think) whilst in the City for a family funeral. We were there for 3 nights on a room only basis. We had to use a separate room for a shower! We were given a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. The reception staff needed some training in politeness although the Night Manager (who gave us the wine) was more diplomatic. I won't dwell on the other issues but needless to say I left a scathing report on 'TripAdvisor' and will not be back. I might add, we were previously there in 2001 and it was ok then.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
8 of 20  Tue 24th Oct 2017 5:46pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:612

No matter how poor the Britannia hotels may be, they would be made to look like the Savoy by the place that shames the city. Step forward the Hylands Hotel on Warwick Road. The Trip Advisor reviews are so bad they are hilarious. It would appear to be a cross between a tip, a doss house and a drug den. Oh my Let's hope the City of Culture judges didn't stay at the Hylands. Although apparently they would find plenty of cultures in the bathrooms. Lol
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 20  Tue 24th Oct 2017 9:54pm  

On 24th Oct 2017 5:46pm, MisterD-Di said: No matter how poor the Britannia hotels may be, they would be made to look like the Savoy by the place that shames the city. Step forward the Hylands Hotel on Warwick Road. The Trip Advisor reviews are so bad they are hilarious. It would appear to be a cross between a tip, a doss house and a drug den. Oh my
I find a large number of Trip Advisor reviews are indeed hilarious - so much so that it's difficult to take the site too seriously. Some "reviewers" seem to almost make a career out of posting on Trip Advisor, whether it's a hotel, well-known restaurant chain, or the local chippy or Indian takeaway! It becomes interesting where the establishment responds to a long, rambling complaint in sufficient detail to suggest the review was not an accurate representation of the facts. I have read where a hotel manager in Glasgow accused a reviewer of "verbal abuse" since the adverse review included the manager's name. The manager was able to offer answers to all of the points raised, which made something of a mockery of the complainant's review. On the reverse side, there was a case of a hotel in Eastbourne where the owner was found to have posted a number glowing reviews of his own establishment. So, it's difficult on the face of it to take some of these reviews too seriously. Personal recommendations (or warnings) from family, friends or acquaintances seem much more preferable.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 20  Mon 10th Sep 2018 1:30pm  

No comments necessary Angry Angry Angry [photo: Hazel Nicholson (Creative Commons]
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
11 of 20  Thu 13th Sep 2018 6:14pm  

Man jailed for vandalising Lady Godiva statue - report
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 20  Sun 14th Oct 2018 12:42pm  

Hi all Wave Some answers needed from tick-box auditors, it appears. A branch was earmarked for Coventry in the new Friargate area, they are located all around us. Guardian News Quote--: "The critical question is how far back the alleged irregularities extend. A long way, Thursday’s statement by the company seemed to imply. Auditor Grant Thornton signed off the last full-year accounts on 24 November 2017, with net cash reported to be £21.5m at the end of September. The auditor will now to have answer a basic question: what cash-reconciliation checks did it run?" Almost 3,000 jobs depend on this outcome.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 20  Wed 17th Oct 2018 2:33pm  

Hi all, Very sad this morning. Driver suffered smoke issue, but thanks to his actions, all passengers escaped.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
14 of 20  Fri 24th Jan 2020 1:14pm  

From Coventry Cathedral: We have some unfortunate news to report this morning. One of the Angels on our West Screen, designed by John Hutton, was smashed on the night of Thursday 23 January during a break-in by what appears to have been 2 people. Dean John said: “We are appalled by the damage to one of Coventry's best loved buildings last night. The magnificent glass West Screen of the Cathedral frames the view in and out of the building and the carvings of saints and angels inspire all who see them. We are pleased that a recent government grant enabled us to install CCTV cameras throughout the site and we will be examining footage of the evening to identify those responsible.”
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
15 of 20  Fri 24th Jan 2020 1:42pm  

Sadly, "A spokesperson for West Midlands Police said: “Police are investigating a burglary just before 11.30pm last night (Thursday 23 January) at Coventry Cathedral. Enquiries on-going. Crime ref: 20CV/20527D/20." I say sadly, as what a total waste of time. If the culprits, if apprehended, are not of any value, our so called justice system is unable to do anything, being completely out of touch with the reality of handling criminal dipsticks. Knife crime, the incidence of which is increasing nationally, no matter what our police do, we are all victim of the justice mayhem.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Good news stories
|

Next (newer) topic

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire Local Radio