No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Fri 24th Jan 2020 4:36pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3720

Hi Dreamtime, The cathedral for me is a Coventry iconic civic building, it doesn't hold any religious significance specifically for me, beyond that of its art value. I would be equally angry for any vandalism carried out against a memorial building. Hope you ok.
News, Media and Current Affairs - Sorry state
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Tue 18th Feb 2020 7:32pm  

Hi all, "AN ENGLISHMANS WORD IS HIS BOND". I was raised in Coventry, during the post second war era, where that statement was often quoted. That era was generally for me a reassuring statement, which outside of the criminal elements in society, I found to be reliable. A sense of trust, even where there was adversity. Of all the sad changes that I have witnessed in our land, in nearly three quarters of a century, it's my perception that truth & trustworthiness is becoming as rare as a butchers shop. It's one of the reasons that so many elderly folk get conned. It's not that they are daft or stupid. They grew up & flourished in an atmosphere of trust & honesty. They didn't need to employ a solicitors clerk for all of life's events then, but it's my honest opinion that that is what they need now. I'm not just making reference to what's nowadays called low level antisocial conduct, it's every day business, transactions, you know men in suits stuff. Sadly I include politicians in this & the folk at the helm of our society management. Many of our members are aware of my horror of witnessing folk coaxed out of their hard earned dosh with equity release schemes, which I have tried to spell out the risks. That is just one example, but it's the volume of society deceit that is now commonplace, that when I was growing up, was confined to more or less just the criminals. Forgive me for being negative on this, but it is honestly what I am seeing.
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Tue 18th Feb 2020 8:22pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:349

In a nutshell, Philip, there are no longer any pillars of society to maintain the fabric.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Mon 2nd Mar 2020 4:28pm  

Hi all, Some don't miss an opportunity, hey. In the time of Channel 4, televising Countdown, I counted four adverts for funeral plans. Maybe I am cynical in the current time. The most I have seen previously during the show is two, both from the same source. These four were all in competition with each other.
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Mon 2nd Mar 2020 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:349

Philip. The name of the show 'Countdown' should have given you a hint to its sinister nature

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Good news stories
|

Next (newer) topic

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire Local Radio