Next pageNo action
203 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
181 of 203  Mon 31st Aug 2020 8:43am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3791

Prof After rain this gets fast flowing. There was a story that the back room of a house floor overhung the river, it fell in one morning as they were having breakfast, and it is said to their amazement they found themselves floating downstream sitting round the table. Those bricks look more Edwardian than Victorian.
Local History and Heritage - Burges and Cross Cheaping
CliffB
Coventry
All posts by this member
182 of 203  Thu 19th Nov 2020 5:32pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:51

Here’s another beauty from Celia’s photos, if I am not mistaken it’s Cross Cheaping as I guess the sign is outside ‘Watsons Boot Market’. The banner reads ‘West Orchard Sunday School’.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
183 of 203  Thu 19th Nov 2020 6:43pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2612

I agree, a very good photo. Thumbs up Much more atmospheric and aesthetic than many of the era. It ties in with this post by Neil. Date of that parade was 1913. Well Street Sunday School Easter parade
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
184 of 203  Fri 27th Nov 2020 10:58am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2867

Thanks to Carrie Theyer on FB - taken by her grandfather
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
185 of 203  Fri 27th Nov 2020 5:17pm  

NeilsYard Isn't that the same shot as the Easter parade above. The two shops above with the awnings are the boot shop, if I remember right but about twenty years later?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
186 of 203  Fri 27th Nov 2020 5:27pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2867

Yes Kaga - Cliff's shot is further north towards the junction with West Orchard. You can see the box/bay window nearer from the Talbot Inn. Edited by member, 27th Nov 2020 5:27 pm
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
187 of 203  Sat 28th Nov 2020 10:07am  

NeilsYard, You posted a photo on the forum with the cameraman with his back to the church, and looking by the top of Owen Owens straight across to Cross Cheaping, but I can't remember the topic. Do you remember? 1920 and those straw boaters were said to be signs of virginity.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
188 of 203  Sun 29th Nov 2020 10:29am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1654

Hi Kaga, The easiest way to find what you're asking about is to click on the red "All posts by this member" link below a members name on the left side of any of their posts. I've just looked at a few by Neil though, and can't yet find a photo matching the description you've mentioned. Could it have been posted by someone else? I hope you find what you're looking for Kaga. Thumbs up
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
189 of 203  Sun 29th Nov 2020 10:53am  

Is this the one you were thinking of Kaga? Forum library image
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
190 of 203  Sun 29th Nov 2020 12:12pm  

After ploughing through half the forum I finally found found it, 631 on Broadgate topic.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
191 of 203  Sun 29th Nov 2020 1:29pm  

It shows what a gap there was between Duvals and Timpsons.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
192 of 203  Mon 30th Nov 2020 11:10am  

It shows a bit more than that Helen, it shows that damn bus stop right outside Duvals that had been moved from Broadgate after the IRA bomb outside Samuels in Broadgate. It also shows the gap that was cleared after the blitz for people to get to the market. The shop on the corner I believe was Boots, and Boots had just bought the site to rebuild. And this photo has been moved from the Broadgate topic to this one, so everyone thought the bus stop was still in Broadgate that proved my point in the first place. And Owen Owen's is out of sight on the right of the photo.That huge building in front of you I believe may have been the house that kept the stone statues of the Lord and his disciples that seemed to be brought from the altar of St Mary's Cathedral on the dissolution of the priory in the time of Henry VIII, each disciple stood under a canopied niche
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
193 of 203  Mon 30th Nov 2020 3:05pm  

Kaga, nobody is arguing about the location of the bus stop before the IRA bomb. The original question was about where the bus was when it was destroyed in the war. Study this picture, Kaga. On the left, about halfway down you can see the new Boots. Then the new road into the market. Then everything along the line to the right of that road is Cross Cheaping. You can see the fancy building on the corner of the market. Duval hadn't been built but the gap and then Timpsons is visible before two more buildings and the Talbot Inn on the corner of West Orchard. You can see the remains of the east side of Cross Cheaping nearest to the camera. This photo shows the demolition in preparation for Owen Owen and Trinity Street. Can you understand that although the buildings were demolished, Cross Cheaping still ended in the same place on the remaining side of the street?
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
194 of 203  Tue 1st Dec 2020 11:28am  

Helen And I'm not arguing about anything, I was just showing that photo 191 was the all important gateway from Broadgate to the north. Centuries ago the path that led down the Burges crossed the river bridge to the north and fanned out, they built houses on either side of the Burges, but pack horses, coaches and then trams all led down that gateway, and so did the canal traffic enter that way, until 1937 then Trinity Street. Then you had traffic up and down that also led in and out of town to the north. The traffic had a bigger problem, crossing to West Orchard and vice versa, crossing the trams. The blitz solved the problem, when the trams ceased. Boots was next to the Fountain Inn.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
195 of 203  Wed 2nd Dec 2020 10:42am  

Helen, good morning, You want me to study the photo on post 193. Well, all I can see are roof tops and bedrooms, and that's not me at all. Like most Coventry people I lived on terra firma. 1917-27-37-47-57, that scene would have changed completely from the date before, so unless you give me some year I can't help you at all. What are you looking for - house, railings or something like the Wheatsheaf sign, stables, the bull pole, restaurant? Give me a clue.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 195 of 203 posts

Page 13 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

'House of Industry' in Foleshill
|

Next (newer) topic

Old Cathedral of St Michael