Topic categories:

Memories and Nostalgia

Pool Meadow and Fairfax Street (new and old)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 159 of 159 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action
159 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
151 of 159  Thu 6th Feb 2020 11:15am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3744

Pool Meadow didn't open till mid-thirties when the buses started to take over. Now, the trams had fairly straight runs along the Foleshill Road and Stoney Stanton Road but, oh my, when they reached the Swanswell they turned sharply, the wheels grating and screeching, sparks flying. A few yards on they again turned slightly, again screeching - then again in to Hales St, again into the Burges, then yet again across Broadgate. You could hear them groaning all over the centre of the city. The west side of Coventry was mainly farmland until the war, farms’ fields, and scores of brooks - these flowed into each other, until the Holyhead Road and Spon End, Nauls Mill, the Swanswell - also part of the scene that got flooded regularly, The Burges where the Sherbourne met the Radford Brook near the Fire Station. Coventry was really a damp, unhealthy place to live.
Memories and Nostalgia - Pool Meadow and Fairfax Street (new and old)
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
152 of 159  Fri 7th Feb 2020 1:42pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1494

On 5th Feb 2020 5:34pm, Kaga simpson said: Prof, can you give date and where.
In the left background you can see the Bus station office and tearoom in Pool Meadow. The Birmingham stand was towards Priory St as far as I recall. Edited by member, 7th Feb 2020 1:43 pm
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
153 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 8:18am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5646

This has appeared on FB, reputedly from 1951 Thumbs up
Hopeful1234
Rugby
All posts by this member
154 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 9:16am  
Member: Joined May 2020  Total posts:2

My elder brother and I used to get the bus from Pool Meadow, we must have been about 6 & 11 years of age as our Grandma & Grandad lived in Winchester Street. We would catch the 8 or 8A to Tile Hill. I remember the terminal road was oily and the smell of diesel fumes, I would always try and get the seat behind the driver so I could watch him change gear, I didn't know at the time it was a preselecter gearbox. Happy days!!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
155 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 12:11pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2327

Hi Hopeful, welcome to the forum. Wave Isn't it the funniest things that stick in our memories and often related to a smell.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
156 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 1:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2327

MR, I recognise nothing from the angle of that photo. I'm not doubting that it is Pool Meadow, I just think it's funny how blind I can be to a different view.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
157 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 1:54pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3556

You are so right Helen. I finally got my mind round it by concentrating on the buses facing that way, the way I was always used to in my youth (goodness did I say that, seems so long ago now - well it was!)
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
158 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 2:13pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:231

On 11th May 2020 9:16am, Hopeful1234 said: My elder brother and I used to get the bus from Pool Meadow, we must have been about 6 & 11 years of age as our Grandma & Grandad lived in Winchester Street. We would catch the 8 or 8A to Tile Hill. I remember the terminal road was oily and the smell of diesel fumes, I would always try and get the seat behind the driver so I could watch him change gear, I didn't know at the time it was a preselecter gearbox. Happy days!!
When I read this post I thought "I must have seen these 2 kids at some time", then I realised that after some cajoling to join the forum the writer is my brother Big grin
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
159 of 159  Mon 11th May 2020 5:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5646

On 11th May 2020 1:35pm, Helen F said: MR, I recognise nothing from the angle of that photo. I'm not doubting that it is Pool Meadow, I just think it's funny how blind I can be to a different view.
Taken from the fire station - Wheatley Street School top left!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 159 of 159 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

!! Happy Birthday !!
|

Next (newer) topic

1832 Cholera pandemic
You are viewing topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category