Topic categories:

Town Planning and Development

What would attract visitors to our city long term?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 198 of 198 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action
198 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
196 of 198  Fri 8th Sep 2017 10:21pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:754

Again a failure! I was looking online to find out when there are Christmas markets in towns the residents from Willowbrook could visit. No hints on the Coventry Council site. But there are markets in Stratford, Birmingham, Melton Mowbray all with the dates of opening. Visitors plan in advance. I take it that Coventry Council doesn't.
Town Planning and Development - What would attract visitors to our city long term?
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
197 of 198  Sat 11th Sep 2021 9:52am  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:520

I read through all 196 posts of this topic yesterday, and got the feeling that there was no definite answer. As it has not had any posts for 4 years, let’s get some new ideas and comments going? Personally, I think there needs to be a combination of attractions, a single attraction would not be enough. BUT, reading Rob’s link on the old Coventry Theatre, and the stars and shows that were appearing in the 60's & 70's, a new venue like that would be a good start?
Mick Strong

Town Planning and Development - What would attract visitors to our city long term?
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
198 of 198  Sat 11th Sep 2021 12:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2879

I don't think that there is a definitive answer, much like most towns and cities. We live different lives to those who created them. We can grab entertainment to our homes that can't easily be rivalled. I once pointed out to a moaning American student that even on her limited income she cold live like an historic queen. She could summon history's greatest musicians, jesters and thespians to her room (seriously the Mystery Plays are terrible). She could eat spices, fruits and other foods that were worth a king's ransom, prepared by many hands. She could see distant lands for real for a modest fee or go for free online. Even as recently as the 90s, life was a lot more limited, so how do you attract 21st century people? I know that it's not popular but flats, student or otherwise are a big part of the answer. Far easier to attract people who live next door than the next mile or the next town. If there is a regular local audience it makes it pay for the sporadic visitor or tourist. I think that places like the Belgrade need more popular stuff, but not just concerts and comedians. Lots of people love a good show at the theatre but they're few and far between. Comedies, murders and musicals seem to attract the most interest. Theatres do too many grungy dramas. Parking has to be cheaper. Why would you lug your shopping round town when you can get someone to deliver it to your door for free or at least less than you'd pay in parking? Why wander around the city at night, back to your car, if you can walk a few feet from a country pub? Why will tomorrow's adults want to see our historic past if today's adults are embarrassed or uninterested in it? We should be neither proud nor ashamed of the distant past. It should just be interesting and looked after. I've said before that the Herbert is curiously lacking in Coventry history and it's a great shame because they've got the stuff the illustrate it. I'd fancy something like a craft market once a month but for very small traders and very cheap stands - a bit like a car boot sale but without the cars and the junk. The value would be to attract people into the centre, not to make a mint out of the stalls. Normally stands on markets are so expensive that there is often no variety. Lockdown and the pandemic has opened a lot of eyes to internet shopping. I'll admit that I was a trend setter since I've been buying stuff online for well over 20 years. There's been a bit of a boom on the high street now people want to get out but it won't last.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 198 of 198 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Post-war redevelopment
|

Next (newer) topic

What if (our development had turned out differently)?
You are viewing topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2021

Load time: 62ms