Next pageLast page
63 posts:
Order:    

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
1 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 10:40am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:906

Regarding Fleet Street, I have been following all the information with interest and of all the great photographs submitted, frustratingly, there are none capturing the street from The George IV down past Conduit Yard. I worked at 'The Supreme Gent's Hairdressers' from 1958 until the mid-1960's, when the business had to relocate to the City Arcade due to the re-development project. The address was No. 19 Fleet Street and as shown on a plan submitted on the Forum relating to 'Mary Hobley's Ladies Salon', it seemed to have been apportioned from part of AAT's property, we seemed to have followed on from Mary Hobley and our barbershop was upstairs and accessed from stairs between Mr Tucker's haberdashery shop and AAT's shop. In my memory, on our side of the street, we had the George IV, (the publican, called 'Barney', kept a Staffs Bull terrier that had a striking resemblance to his good self, Barney went to keep a pub by the railway (is it the Rocket now?)) when the street was re-developed. Anyhow, I digress! Then there was Mr Edward Tucker, the haberdasher, then ours, AAT's, Mr Rimmer, the newsagent, a shop we called 'The Rubber Shop', I never went in so can't say what that was all about, The Copper Kettle Cafe, I think then was Conduit Yard (it was certainly wide enough for a vehicle to drive through), John Britons shoe shop was after the Yard opening. I do recall Palmers, the pork butchers with its lovely home-made pork pies for 10 old pence each! That was before Hunt's the bakers were there. So lots of businesses and unfortunately no photographs. Hope someone finds some.
Fleet Street
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 10:45am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5385

Yes, dear old Jack Rimmer, a smashing man, lived on Michaelmas Road, good pal of my grandad What about Saxess (Mrs Tribe), wasn't that shop along there too?
Fleet Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
3 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 10:52am  

Yes, I do remember Mr Rimmer, he was a tall man, moustache, wore a Trilby and drove a German car, a Javelin as I recall. I thought I had a good memory but I can't recall the 'Saxess', someone said it was a pram shop, if that was the case, I was only young, and probably was more interested in the pork pie shop than the prams! Wink
Fleet Street
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
4 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 11:26am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:562

I think you're right, about Saxess being a pram shop, I think it sold other baby goods as well. It's become clear that what I was remembering, the pub, was the Geo IV - but I don't remember it having the "black and white" mock Tudor effect that is on the few photos I've seen. But I haven't seen a decent photo of it - indeed, none of all of it. Do you remember, Foxcote, if the "black" fake wood bits were removed by the time I remember it, from about 1950 on? It always struck me as awfully stark and scruffy, and that's main reason for me remembering it!! Sad Your recalling the other shops brought some memories back, too. Such a long time ago, now.
Fleet Street
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
5 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 11:34am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5385

On 11th Jan 2012 10:52am, Foxcote said: ....but I can't recall the 'Saxess' someone said it was a 'pram shop....
Yes, Saxess was a pram shop - they also had an outlet on Clay Lane at the corner of Richmond Street Lily Tribe Jack Rimmer certainly was tall with a moustache, and I can recall he drove a Jowett Javelin
Fleet Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
6 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 11:47am  

On 11th Jan 2012 11:26am, K said: Your recalling the other shops brought some memories back, too. Such a long time ago, now.
I am pleased that you enjoyed my trip down Memory Lane, I have to say that I am certain that the facade was always there, in fact if you check that photo again on the forum of the Geroge IV, the cars on the front was from the era when I was working there.
Fleet Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
7 of 63  Wed 11th Jan 2012 11:49am  

On 11th Jan 2012 11:34am, Midland Red said: Lily Tribe
What a woman Lily was, thanks for enlightening me on one of the Fleet Street characters!
Fleet Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
8 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:03pm  

This shot of Fleet Street, 1952 is great because up to now, we haven't been able to find a different angle, always the ones that seem to show St. Johns and not the shops. I started a new topic because it sort of encompasses loads of topics, the Co-op van, the City Arms by the Co-op, the shirt shop 'Hawkins' and the Rubber Shop on the corner and can see the road-way into Conduit Yard, it's not a very good reproduction but hope you can see the details.
Fleet Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:13pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2251

Terrific shot Foxcote Thumbs up It's areas like that that someone from my generation really struggle getting an impression of 'how it was' such is the radical change to anything I've ever known. This modern Streetview gives as close a comparison as I can get online.
Fleet Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
10 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:21pm  

You are right, from that modern view, no-one would ever know it was the same place other than the Church. I did scan it in from a clearer photo in a book, am I allowed to say what the book is?
Fleet Street
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:31pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4197

Hi all Wave The pic is fab. I was five then. "I'm five, I'm five, a big boy now I'm five" Wave Cheers Thumbs up
Fleet Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
12 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:33pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2993

On 20th Sep 2012 4:03pm, Foxcote said: This shot of Fleet Street, 1952 is great because up to now, we haven't been able to find a different angle, always the ones that seem to show St. Johns and not the shops. I started a new topic because it sort of encompasses loads of topics, the Co-op van, the City Arms by the Co-op
The pre-war building on the left did not belong to the Co-op back then. It was the offices of Iliffe who published several national magazines as well as the Coventry Evening Telegraph. They appear to have started an extension along Fleet Street but this was abandoned when work began on the Lower Precinct. In the meantime a temporary Co-op was built in the gap between the Iliffe Building and City Arms. The main Co-op when the picture was taken was the single storey shell just visible behind the pub.
Fleet Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:45pm  

Was the City Arms the building with the big billboard on its side Dutchy?
Fleet Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
14 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2993

I'm not sure. I think there was still a row of three-storey shops next to it including a butcher's who objected strongly to the construction of a temporary Co-op right next door to him.
Fleet Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 63  Thu 20th Sep 2012 4:53pm  

Hope you don't mind Dutchman but I've lifted this image of the pub from the Message Board site of yours to give a better 'picture' of where we're talking about, just looking the other way
Fleet Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 63 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Art College
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)