No actionNo action
43 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 43  Sat 17th Mar 2018 4:38pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:483

Yes AD you're right about BODMAS and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour being the lines on the treble stave (also an album by The Moody Blues). The third one is as you suspected guitar strings in standard tuning. I learnt all the trig ones as a triangle - works for anything with three terms. Let's face it MR some of us have got strange ideas of fun Big grin
Forum fun time!
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
32 of 43  Sun 18th Mar 2018 3:16am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

The following was drilled into me whilst attending KHVIII many years ago: Some Men Have Easy Occupations. Alternatively: Should Mad Hatters Eat (Fresh) Oysters?
Forum fun time!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
33 of 43  Sun 18th Mar 2018 9:36am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1326

On 17th Mar 2018 12:40pm, AD said: . . . . Didn't know the trig ones - we were just taught SOHCAHTOA (pronounced Sock-A-Toe -A) Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent
We were also taught that method in our first year at Stoke Park, but the inspirational Mrs. Sayers helped us remember it by: Sir Oliver's Horse Came Ambling Home To Oliver's Aunt And 3 decades or so later I still found that useful when I wanted to work out how to make our folding staircase for the attic! Big grin
Forum fun time!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
34 of 43  Sun 18th Mar 2018 11:03am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4961

On 18th Mar 2018 3:16am, Beesman said: The following was drilled into me whilst attending KHVIII many years ago: Some Men Have Easy Occupations. Alternatively: Should Mad Hatters Eat (Fresh) Oysters?
Oh dear! Blush For those of us who thought that our first language was English . . . . . Oh my
Forum fun time!
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
35 of 43  Sun 18th Mar 2018 1:20pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:159

On 15th Mar 2018 3:10pm, Old Lincolnian said: A couple of simple music ones Every Good Boy Deserves Favour Eddy Ate Dynamite GoodBye Eddie
Obviously I went to a tougher school than you Old Lincolnian because 'Every Good Boy Deserves FLOGGING' ! Edited by member, 18th Mar 2018 5:38 pm
Forum fun time!
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
36 of 43  Sun 18th Mar 2018 5:18pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

Answer to my earlier puzzle: Superior Michigan Huron Erie (Falls) Ontario. Smile
Forum fun time!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
37 of 43  Mon 19th Mar 2018 10:45am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1056

I'd never heard the ones for the great lakes Beesman but then I'm not sure that they were ever mentioned. Too much stuff about market gardening in the Vale of Evesham. Rob, I think everyone learned something different for sine, cosine and tangent. I was taught by my Dad, by listening him try to teach my brother. Those small pink hippos appealed to a 11 year old girl more than a 13 year old boy, before I knew anything about the maths.
Forum fun time!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
38 of 43  Mon 19th Mar 2018 11:51am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4025

Hi all, Hi Helen, Does this appeal to you? Rules of Science.
Forum fun time!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
39 of 43  Mon 19th Mar 2018 1:45pm  

Of course, hee hee! Nice one. Stuff should always be taught with a comedy song. I haven't listened to much of their stuff. I'm enjoying the oldies at the moment. Randall & Hopkirk on the TV and The full works of The Two Ronnies on DVD.
Forum fun time!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
40 of 43  Thu 3rd May 2018 4:40pm  

May I recommend today's Google Doodle. Click on it and watch the 3D video. You can swivel round by grabbing the screen and swiping left or right, fast or as slow as you like. I watched it a few times to see the different cameos.
Forum fun time!
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
41 of 43  Thu 3rd May 2018 9:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:545

On 18th Mar 2018 3:16am, Beesman said: The following was drilled into me whilst attending KHVIII many years ago: Some Men Have Easy Occupations. Alternatively: Should Mad Hatters Eat (Fresh) Oysters?
There was also another one about trig that I learned at KHVIII (1947-51) I think it was something about negative numbers. Anyway it was about 4 quadrants. So counting from top right: The first quadrant they were (A)ll positive (Sine, Cosine, Tan) All 2nd quadrant below first Only (S)ine " Sailors 3rd " below left " (T)angent " Take 4th " upper left " (C)osine " Care Our maths master was Bolam or Beetham, ex Navy and I think NZ.
Forum fun time!
Maya
York
All posts by this member
42 of 43  Fri 4th May 2018 10:58pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2013  Total posts:8

Growing up in Coventry I had learnt: 'Richard of York gave battle in vain' But on moving to the chocolate city of York I found that the children learnt: 'Rowntrees of York give best in value' Now they've sold out to Nestle the rhyme wouldn't work.
Forum fun time!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
43 of 43  Tue 10th Jul 2018 1:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4961

On 30th Aug 2017 9:52am, zigzag said: I was wondering if anybody was enjoying the ever growing list of jigsaw puzzles as much as I am, it is getting quite addictive for me. Whoever is putting them on please keep them coming. Thank you.
More added today for you! Cheers
Forum fun time!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 43 of 43 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Maps of Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic