No actionNo action
247 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
241 of 247  Mon 15th Aug 2016 8:18am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:370

At school, when asked where I lived, I couldn't give the true answer, without a lengthy explanation of what and where Canley Gardens was. It lies between Canley and Earlsdon, so if I said Canley, the response was "Pwoaarh - that's a rough area!". Earlsdon got "Oo, ay say old bean, la-di-dah, everyone in Earlsdon is a snob". It's called stereotyping. The top end of Canley had a reputation. Everyone had heard about the infamous Miller gang. Their reputation spread as far as Canley Gardens. "You don't mess with the Miller gang." In recent years a lady who has since retired, i.e. she's a few years older than I, and who for many years lived near the Canley shops in Prior Deram, knew all about the Miller gang, but had never actually met any of them. I have yet to find anyone who has actually encountered them. Back in the seventies, certain areas of Coventry were referred to by tradesmen as Dodge City 1, 2, and 3. Canley was not one of them. They were Wood End, Bell Green and Willenhall respectively.
Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
242 of 247  Fri 11th Nov 2016 12:55pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:994

Looking at the Coventry Telegraph earlier I noted that the McDonalds being refurbished is on Arlington Business Park, Never heard of it by that name before. So how much of the previous Standard-Triumph works forms Arlington?

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
243 of 247  Tue 15th Nov 2016 9:49am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

£10million redevelopment plan for Canley - report
Moving on
Northampton
All posts by this member
244 of 247  Tue 11th Apr 2017 5:34pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:1

Looking for old school friends fron Sir Henry Parkes, Canley - Phyllis Gibson, Sandra Munrow, Anna Chapman. And anyone who was at that school when I was there. Pamela Brown, now Wright - lived John Rous Avenue.
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
245 of 247  Tue 11th Apr 2017 6:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1540

Hi Pamela, welcome to our forum. As I'm sure you've already discovered there are a number of our members who are ex-pupils of the school. May I ask what years you were there and whose class(es) you were in? I must say your name seems familiar, but I can't place it (yet!)
55 Vincent Black Shadow
USA
All posts by this member
246 of 247  Sun 16th Apr 2017 8:44pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:11

Hello Moving on (Pamela), I used to live in Templar's Fields and I remember you very well along with all the people you have mentioned and as noted by TonyS, there are many others on this site that will also remember you. In fact, I was recently talking to someone from Mayor's Croft about you (and others that you listed) so it is somewhat ironic that you have surfaced at this time. I hope life is treating you well.
Chris Harden

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
247 of 247  Wed 8th Nov 2017 12:07pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

News report showing £22m student village plan for the Canley Sports & Social Club site

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 241 to 247 of 247 posts

Page 17 of 17

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .. 13 14 15 16 17
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Post-war redevelopment
|

Next (newer) topic

Holy Trinity Church
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)