No actionNo action
261 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
256 of 261  Mon 10th Jun 2019 12:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1103

Some of the new housing north of Donegal Close in Canley. The nameplate reads 'Skylark Street'. With all the new housing being built in the area then surely it will put a strain on the immediate infrastructure.
Coventry Suburbs and Beyond - Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
257 of 261  Mon 10th Jun 2019 3:28pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1549

You ought to live in Finham, we’ve got almost FOUR AND A HALF THOUSAND coming our way on greenbelt land!!! Angry Angry Angry
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
258 of 261  Thu 29th Oct 2020 9:44am  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:377

On 26th Apr 2018 7:58pm, RLCherrington said: Hi there and great to read your post about Canley. There are some names there of people I knew/know though I lived at the other end of Canley, in a steel house. Some others on this forum probably have been in touch with you as well. You might like to read some posts about Canley I wrote for www.municipaldreams.com, they are still getting a lot of comments from former Canley kids. all the best to you, Ruth
Hi Ruth, just read your great posts on municipaldreams and the memories came flooding back. I had to visit the small shops on most days and remember Mr Perks, he had the biggest shop in the row. As a 7 or 8 year old, playing in the woods and over the fields (where WMG and the sports centre now stand) all the way to Westwood Heath Road, was such an adventure, going newting in the ponds. Also putting pennies on the railway line to get them flattened. Having to drink that horrible concentrated orange juice from the health clinic.
Mick Strong

Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
259 of 261  Thu 29th Oct 2020 10:11am  

On 11th Apr 2017 5:34pm, Moving on said: Looking for old school friends fron Sir Henry Parkes, Canley - Phyllis Gibson, Sandra Munrow, Anna Chapman. And anyone who was at that school when I was there. Pamela Brown, now Wright - lived John Rous Avenue.
Hi Pamela, picking up threads having been away from the forum for a few years. Some of the names you mention were in the same class as me (Mr Rea’s) before I left in 1961. We lived on Charter Ave, by the island, so not far from you. What years were you at Henry Parkes?
Mick Strong

Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
260 of 261  Fri 6th Nov 2020 4:37pm  

On 22nd Nov 2015 8:58pm, RLCherrington said: I thought the Methodist hall was down at Prior Deram Walk? I always thought it was the Gospel Hall in my day which might have been after '62. The interesting thing for me is that the pubs and the Canley Club came before the churches and Canley was once described by a Bishop (or someone similar) as a 'godless' estate with many lost souls drifting aimlessly…..
Hi Ruth, I can confirm that it was "Charter Gospel Hall, Canley" as I have just dug out the bible I was given for attendance in 1959, signed by T Foster (superintendent) and H Hollingsworth (teacher) Post moved from topic Coventry Pubs on 6th Nov 2020 5:49 pm
Mick Strong

Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
261 of 261  Tue 15th Dec 2020 8:02pm  

At Henry Parkes school, there was a girl called Daphne Bramble who was a little older than me. What a footballer she was. Anyone remember her?
Mick Strong

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 256 to 261 of 261 posts

Page 18 of 18

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 ... 14 15 16 17 18
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hostels and Guildhouses
|

Next (newer) topic

Holbrooks and Holbrook Lane
You are viewing topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category