No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Sun 28th Jul 2019 7:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3019

Would the first bank in Coventry have been Woodcock and Son in Smithford Street, around 1810 when the paper money came in. Coventry centre was full of underground cellars. Pearl Hyde ran her 'Devils Kitchen' from deep in the Central Police Station, the morning after the blitz. It became so famous they built a replica in New York, they wanted to run a biblical film feeding of the 75,000 hungry, homeless, hurt and sick. She made a documentary instead. On the open ground they put wooden huts - Co-op, Barclays, Freeman H&W, Boots etc. Smithford Street corner, Weaver to Wearer up and running within a fortnight.
Wartime and the Blitz - Wartime miscellany
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Tue 30th Jul 2019 11:15am  

Before the war, Mayfair in London was the aristocrats’ playground. The Cafe de Paris, the most glamorous night club in the world, huge chandelier above the dance floor, dimmed, all glitter, a world of fantasy for the rich. It had as resident the most foremost jazz band of the day, led by a West Indian. The band was way out above any other band in the country at the time. Jazz musicians, singers, fought to get a showing with this band. But in 1941 it had a direct hit that killed most of the band and a number of high ranking wartime officers. It didn't open again till well after the war. This was about three weeks before Coventry had its second most serious raid.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Thu 8th Aug 2019 2:25pm  

When we pulled out of Dunkirk in May 1940 it was a massive defeat. That spring and summer of 1940 the public's fears of invasion was high, possibly to the invasion leaflets and to Churchill's denial that the bombing had moved the invasion focus. Around the time of the Coventry blitz a de-coded message was passed to Winston saying Hitler had ordered the dismantling of air loading bays in Holland. It meant the operation 'Sea Lion' invasion of Britain was almost certainly postponed if not called off altogether. No wonder then when Churchill visited Coventry, saw the workers and people's response to the blitz, he smiled and took out his largest cigar. But the bow was kept taut until about Christmas I believe before we thought the danger was over.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Sun 11th Aug 2019 10:22am  

I do not remember a floral clock in Coventry but Hove, Sussex had a famous one, but Annewiggy mentioned Toc H. I was in a bar in London with a friend - it was full of commandos, airborne and such. He started to take the micky out of them, he was drunk. The guys started getting edgy. I grabbed him by the shoulder, dragged him outside. “You trying to get us lynched?” We stumbled across the road and I booked us in the Toc H for the night. It was similar to the YMCA as I recall.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Fri 13th Sep 2019 12:36pm  

Not sure if anyone's interested. Now in the village of Sherbourne, Warwickshire, there was a family named Maudslay. They founded the Maudslay motor company, their cousin founded Standard Motors. There are graves in the village churchyard of some of the Maudslays. Here is were I found out, got interested. Their son was one of the crew of the great 617 Squadron (Dambusters) and was killed aged 21. His plane had been hit with flak, came down in Holland. The pilot that actually breeched the Moyne Dam was named Maltby - he went on a further mission to the Dortmund canal, but for some reason it was aborted. Maltby turned over the North Sea, his wing tip touched the water and the plane cartwheeled into the sea.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Wartime mystery scene
|

Next (newer) topic

You are at the most recent topic